Windows 10: Help! My File Explorer in Win 10 is gone - disappeared

Discus and support Help! My File Explorer in Win 10 is gone - disappeared in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I'm trying to scan documents to downloads and also find some files in the documents section of Win10. And guess what? File Explorer has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by liannawright, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Help! My File Explorer in Win 10 is gone - disappeared

Hello, I'm trying to scan documents to downloads and also find some files in the documents section of Win10. And guess what? File Explorer has disappeared. I can ID file names, dates, folders, nothing. This is what it looks like in downloads. What's happening? I haven't downloaded any files or anti-virus software.

:)

liannawright, Mar 25, 2022
  2. jay_280 Win User

suggested file names disappear before i can select one in win 10 file explorer

how do i fix that the suggested file names disappear before i can select one in win 10 file explorer? they appear for a second when i use the spacebar, then quickly disappear! this feature has always worked before now. Weird!

jay_280, Mar 25, 2022
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 25, 2022
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Help! My File Explorer in Win 10 is gone - disappeared

Icons disappeared and theme changed.

Hi Roland,

Corrupted system files may be one of the possible causes why the icons on your desktop disappeared. To assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Which build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • Have you tried creating a new user profile and check if the problem is in the current profile or also with the new profile?

Meanwhile, I suggest that you follow the steps shared by Meliton Dec on this
    thread.
    The given troubleshooting steps will help repair or reset not only missing apps but also lost icon.

Additionally, You can reset the Icon Cache. Kindly follow the steps provided below:

• Open File Explorer and navigate to the following folder:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • In the Explorer folder, you will see a lot of files with the
      iconcache name. Delete all of them.

Once you have deleted all the iconcache files, a folder names IconCacheToDelete
    will appear. Simply restart your PC and this folder will disappear.

In the event that you are unable to delete some of the files, see the steps below:

• Open elevated Command Prompt. (Win+X > Command Prompt (Admin))
    • Type the following command, and then press Enter:

cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer attrib –h iconcache_*.db del iconcache_*.db start explorer

If the issue still persists, I recommend you try the suggestion provided by
    kpeW9
    on this thread or the steps shared by
    Guru Khan G on this thread
    to troubleshoot your concern. This will also help you scan for corruption and restore corrupted files/Windows corruptions error.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Mar 25, 2022
Thema:

Help! My File Explorer in Win 10 is gone - disappeared

1. Help! My File Explorer in Win 10 is gone - disappeared - Similar Threads - Help File Explorer

2. text in File Explorer in Win 10 is gone only icons appear

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    text in File Explorer in Win 10 is gone only icons appear: Like what appears to happen to god knows how many users also happens to me, but with a specific cause - I have a crappy internet connection, and sometimes not always when I lose it for a minute or more most, but not all, Win10 text disappears - I have been tearing my hair out...
  3. text in File Explorer in Win 10 is gone only icons appear

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    text in File Explorer in Win 10 is gone only icons appear: Like what appears to happen to god knows how many users also happens to me, but with a specific cause - I have a crappy internet connection, and sometimes not always when I lose it for a minute or more most, but not all, Win10 text disappears - I have been tearing my hair out...
  4. My Files Are Gone. Help!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Files Are Gone. Help!!: Hello,I bought a new internal HDD so I unplugged my other one from the board inside my desktop PC and plugged the new one in so that I could set it up. I created a partition and formatted it, then I named it "New Volume". Now when I plugged back in my old one, named...
  5. My Files Are Gone. Help!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Files Are Gone. Help!!: Hello,I bought a new internal HDD so I unplugged my other one from the board inside my desktop PC and plugged the new one in so that I could set it up. I created a partition and formatted it, then I named it "New Volume". Now when I plugged back in my old one, named...
  6. My Files Are Gone. Help!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Files Are Gone. Help!!: Hello,I bought a new internal HDD so I unplugged my other one from the board inside my desktop PC and plugged the new one in so that I could set it up. I created a partition and formatted it, then I named it "New Volume". Now when I plugged back in my old one, names "Storage"...
  7. Help! My File Explorer in Win 10 is gone - disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help! My File Explorer in Win 10 is gone - disappeared: Hello, I'm trying to scan documents to downloads and also find some files in the documents section of Win10. And guess what? File Explorer has disappeared. I can ID file names, dates, folders, nothing. This is what it looks like in downloads. What's happening? I haven't...
  8. Help! My File Explorer in Win 10 is gone - disappeared

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help! My File Explorer in Win 10 is gone - disappeared: Hello, I'm trying to scan documents to downloads and also find some files in the documents section of Win10. And guess what? File Explorer has disappeared. I can ID file names, dates, folders, nothing. This is what it looks like in downloads. What's happening? I haven't...
  9. File Explorer GONE

File Explorer GONE: So I was just trying to delete some stuff, then suddenly my computer crashed. When I reopened it, and logged in, there was just a blank screen. I opened Task Manager, then found out File Explorer was not there. I tried running it from Task Manager, but it says the file can't...
  10. Win 10 Pro 10.0.17763 File Explorer Status Bar is gone

Win 10 Pro 10.0.17763 File Explorer Status Bar is gone: Changing "Show status bar" in advance settings does nothing. The reg key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced is set to 1. I recently did a "repair upgrade" because system seemed slower than it should be, other issues. Status bar...