Windows 10: Help: My PC won't shutdown or restart. I had to press the power button 5-10 seconds to...

Discus and support Help: My PC won't shutdown or restart. I had to press the power button 5-10 seconds to... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello,I'm having trouble with my PC not shutting down or restarting correctly. There's this instance that I've waited for 30 minutes for it to finish... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Lawrence John Antonio, Feb 15, 2024.

1. Help: My PC won't shutdown or restart. I had to press the power button 5-10 seconds to...

Hello,I'm having trouble with my PC not shutting down or restarting correctly. There's this instance that I've waited for 30 minutes for it to finish restarting/shutting down but it's still on the process of doing so.I've tried restoring it to a point where it still functions properly, but that hasn't solved the problem. In addition, a few minutes after I started inserting Flash drives/Connectors to my USB ports, it just randomly disconnects and when I plugged it again it won't connect.When I opened my PC again, the same process kept happening. I had to forced shutdown since that day.Please he

:)

Lawrence John Antonio, Feb 15, 2024
  2. qubit Win User

PC doesn't power down after holding power button for 4 seconds

Although not very likely, it is just possible that the switch is intermittent, so it could contact momentarily when held in to trigger a normal Windows shutdown, but then not maintain that connection solidly for the whole 4 seconds. This is why I suggested touching the contacts with a screwdriver, to rule out this possibility.

Also, afaik the 4 second off is not controlled by the BIOS, the PC switches off no matter what. That BIOS power configuration refers only to momentary presses.

qubit, Feb 15, 2024
  3. Sirron Win User
    Windows 10 started not powering off on shutdown or restarting

One of my laptops, the HP Elitebook 8460P with Windows 10 Creators Update, latest drivers and updates, started not power off on shutdown. It doesn't matter if I do a regular shutdown, Shift Shutdown, Restart, Safe Mode, "shutdown /s /t 0", it just goes through the steps and says shutting down services, then shutting down or restarting depending on which one I pick and does the bubbles in a circle and the mouse cursor still works and that's it. I have to hold down the power button to force it to turn off. Nothing shows up in the Event Viewer, I tried SFC & DISM /Restorehealth, chkdsk, and they all come up clean. I tried disabling Fast Boot and hibernation, and unplugging it and removing the battery and holding down the power button. There are no other devices connected to this laptop and it is the same hardware that it has had for over two years. I tried to rollback and then disabling the Intel Management Engine that I saw some people suggested, but there is no difference. There are no blue screens, no errors, nothing logged in Event Viewer, all hardware passes diagnostics, and everything else works just fine and it boots up quickly.

Any help on fixing this would be appreciated.

Sirron, Feb 15, 2024
  4. Help: My PC won't shutdown or restart. I had to press the power button 5-10 seconds to...

Shutdown restart switch has stopped working in Windows 10

Hi Mike,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I will certainly help you with this.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• What happens when you press Shutdown/restart (power) button?
    If notebook is in off condition, I suggest you to connect your notebook with power cable and allow it to charge and then try to press the power button and check if issue is solved.

If you’re notebook is in ON condition, I suggest you to set “Choose what the power button do” to Shutdown and check if it helps. To do so kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X key and click on
      Control Panel.
    • Under all Control Panel items select Power Option.
    • Click or tab on Choose what the Power button does
      in left panel
    • Select Shutdown under “When I press power button” and click on
      Save Changes.
    Check if this resolves the issue.

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Feb 15, 2024
Thema:

Help: My PC won't shutdown or restart. I had to press the power button 5-10 seconds to...

1. Help: My PC won't shutdown or restart. I had to press the power button 5-10 seconds to... - Similar Threads - Help won't shutdown

2. Hello my pc is restarting every 5 seconds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hello my pc is restarting every 5 seconds: Hello , I choose Windows 10 volume 2 but it keeps restarting every 5 seconds and I can only enter bios https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hello-my-pc-is-restarting-every-5-seconds/da0d4f1a-28c1-44d1-9962-59446a1d0697
  3. Help: My PC won't shutdown or restart. I had to press the power button 5-10 seconds to...

Help: My PC won't shutdown or restart. I had to press the power button 5-10 seconds to...: Hello,I'm having trouble with my PC not shutting down or restarting correctly. There's this instance that I've waited for 30 minutes for it to finish restarting/shutting down but it's still on the process of doing so.I've tried restoring it to a point where it still functions...
  4. Help: My PC won't shutdown or restart. I had to press the power button 5-10 seconds to...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Help: My PC won't shutdown or restart. I had to press the power button 5-10 seconds to...: Hello,I'm having trouble with my PC not shutting down or restarting correctly. There's this instance that I've waited for 30 minutes for it to finish restarting/shutting down but it's still on the process of doing so.I've tried restoring it to a point where it still functions...
  5. My PC gets woken up by the power button, without pressing the power button...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC gets woken up by the power button, without pressing the power button...: My desktop PC randomly wakes from sleep on its own after a few minutes or so. Referring back to this thread, I checked the powercfg log using "powercfg -lastwake" run as admin in powershell. Curiously, this reports back withWake History Count - 1Wake History [0] Wake Source...
  6. My PC gets woken up by the power button, without pressing the power button...

My PC gets woken up by the power button, without pressing the power button...: My desktop PC randomly wakes from sleep on its own after a few minutes or so. Referring back to this thread, I checked the powercfg log using "powercfg -lastwake" run as admin in powershell. Curiously, this reports back withWake History Count - 1Wake History [0] Wake Source...
  7. My pc started giving me livekernelevents after pressing power button not shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc started giving me livekernelevents after pressing power button not shutdown: A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.Problem signatureProblem Event Name: LiveKernelEventCode: abParameter 1: 1Parameter 2: b0Parameter 3: 0Parameter 4: 1OS version: 10_0_19044Service Pack: 0_0Product: 768_1OS Version:...
  8. My pc started giving me livekernelevents after pressing power button not shutdown

My pc started giving me livekernelevents after pressing power button not shutdown: A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.Problem signatureProblem Event Name: LiveKernelEventCode: abParameter 1: 1Parameter 2: b0Parameter 3: 0Parameter 4: 1OS version: 10_0_19044Service Pack: 0_0Product: 768_1OS Version:...
  9. My pc started giving me livekernelevents after pressing power button not shutdown

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. My PC won't wake up from sleep until I long-press the shutdown button?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My PC won't wake up from sleep until I long-press the shutdown button?: Like I wrote in the title. My PC suddenly won't wake up from sleep using normal methods anymore. Usually, I just press 1 key on keyboard or press a button on my mouse and it turns right back on like a happy puppy. But after it crashed last night due to me uninstalling a...