Windows 10: HELP! My SSD is being ate up

Discus and support HELP! My SSD is being ate up in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I recently installed A Samsung 970 Pro M.2. When I first did the clean install, Samsung Magician reported 0.4 TBW. Needless to say, I had to install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by xpac5896, Feb 7, 2019.

1. xpac5896 Win User

HELP! My SSD is being ate up

I recently installed A Samsung 970 Pro M.2. When I first did the clean install, Samsung Magician reported 0.4 TBW. Needless to say, I had to install the rest of my programs that I normally use to include anti-virus, after which Magician reported about a 1.2 TBW. I did install 1 game and Magician reported a 1.4 TBW. I normally use my computer every day but no writing to the SSD, just normal stuff like internet and reading and sometimes the game. I went from a 1.4 TBW last week to a 2.1 TBW being reported as of the writing of this question. That is a 0.7 TBW within a weeks time. I've looked at Task Manager and it seems as if the "System" as reported by task manager is constantly accessing the disk. I realize that an anti-virus program will be scanning and if you're on the internet, your anti-virus will be watching as well. So my question would be: why is the "System" accessing the drive? I understand the concept that if you "save" anything it will write to the drive, but there is no "saving". I guess you could call it "my busy light" is constantly showing the drive active yet, I will exit certain programs that I know will access the drive but this doesn't seem to help. I'm attaching a screenshot of "Disk Activity" as reported by Task Manager. It's rather obvious that Chrome would be reported as I am using Chrome and Snagit as I'm using it to take the screenshot, but why all are the others being reported when not in use? I would love to catch what's writing to the disk but have no knowledge as to how to do that. If anybody might have any suggestions as to how to do that I would greatly appreciate it. Basically what I'm saying is, the drive is being written to without any input by myself. I had a Samsung Evo, 1 TB, and I never, to my recollection, seen anything like this and the programs that I have on my computer at the present are the same as I had on the Evo. Perhaps there is no way to stop, or at least, get rid of some of these disks eaters but it would be nice to know why this is happening.

:)

xpac5896, Feb 7, 2019
  2. jmcslob Win User

2 x SSD Raid 0 - is this right?

Hey Fits

Can you list a few helpful hints for T ski ,maybe a step by step how to OR what to look out for*Cool HELP! My SSD is being ate up :cool:

jmcslob, Feb 7, 2019
  3. help to remote connect

not sure how to use both programs u 2 suggested, i need more helpful steps thanks

Corduroy_Jr, Feb 7, 2019
  4. Kursah Win User

SSD Crucial Bx 100 - rattling/vibrating. Possible?

This has been suggested several times already, and it has been suggested you try to move the SSD, remove it, or even suspend it in your case. Will you please try one of these?

If you don't understand vibration and resonance, please refer to @dorsetknob 's post above. *Smile HELP! My SSD is being ate up :) It has been explained that something else moving/vibrating (even if you don't think they're vibrating they are...), fans, hard disk drives, and anything with a motor will cause some form of vibration at certain frequencies. This can be transfered through your case's chassis and where you mounted your SSD could be reaching a certain frequency that causes it to slightly move and rattle against the case.

We are suggesting you take action and report back..you keep asking questions from step 1...we should be on step 4 by now...that is solution.

Try what has been suggested and report back please. Otherwise all you're doing is leading this thread in an endless circle and the help will stop shortly thereafter.

*Toast :toast:

Kursah, Feb 7, 2019
Thema:

1. HELP! My SSD is being ate up - Similar Threads - HELP SSD being

2. Windows 11 ATE my laptop's memory! Help??? Please?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 ATE my laptop's memory! Help??? Please?: I was using windows 10 on my laptop and a button popped up to accept windows 11. I clicked it and windows 11 was installed. Within a couple of weeks it had eaten all my memory and I can't use the laptop at all. I took it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy who wanted $200 to fix it...
  3. Windows 11 ATE my laptop's memory! Help??? Please?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 ATE my laptop's memory! Help??? Please?: I was using windows 10 on my laptop and a button popped up to accept windows 11. I clicked it and windows 11 was installed. Within a couple of weeks it had eaten all my memory and I can't use the laptop at all. I took it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy who wanted $200 to fix it...
  4. Gmail ate my message

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gmail ate my message: This is going to be weird, but since Google doesn't help its customers, I thought I'd ask you here. Just this evening,I got a message in Gmail in my spam folder that wasn't spam. When I clicked to move it to Inbox it vanished. Yes, I refreshed a coupleof times. But here's the...
  5. Gmail ate my message

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Gmail ate my message: This is going to be weird, but since Google doesn't help its customers, I thought I'd ask you here. Just this evening,I got a message in Gmail in my spam folder that wasn't spam. When I clicked to move it to Inbox it vanished. Yes, I refreshed a coupleof times. But here's the...
  6. help my SSD is filling up for no reason

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    help my SSD is filling up for no reason: help. My SSD is so full. like 100gb of storage are gone for no reason. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-my-ssd-is-filling-up-for-no-reason/8646728a-7e6a-4b47-9fb0-aa3822a0b0ad
  7. One Drive ate my Pictures

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One Drive ate my Pictures: I want to copy 15 years worth of photos from one PC to another PC. I want them on the PC hard drive, which has tons of space. The source PC does not have OneDrive enabled, the destination PC does. I copied a few gigs to a thumb drive and then the new PC. So far so good. The...
  8. My PC ate my CD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My PC ate my CD: Hello, I put a CD in my windows 10! and It was put in correct but some how when I tried to get the CD. It did not come! I think it stuck. Also I watched a video on YouTube that helped a lot of people here is the link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFEFhFY3tLs. And I am also...
  9. SSD's space being taken up for no reason

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD's space being taken up for no reason: Hi, I'm having a problem. Every day, my SSD fills up with 3 or more GB when I haven't even installed anything in ages; the only thing I'm doing is updating steam games which aren't even on my C drive, they are on my D drive.<br />For example, yesterday I had 360GB free, but...
  10. TH2 Ate My Settings

in Windows 10 Support
    TH2 Ate My Settings: I've updated two PCs from a 10586 MCT download this week, on one I chose to download updates, on the other I didn't. Both got settings reset, which I thought the further update was meant to fix. I will add to this list as I find them... New folders created for...