Windows 10: Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.

Discus and support Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Right my system is an Acer pre-built, it comes with a 1Tb SATA HDD and a 16Gb Intel Optane cache. The system works perfectly, I have no issues really... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Pejole2165, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.

Right my system is an Acer pre-built, it comes with a 1Tb SATA HDD and a 16Gb Intel Optane cache. The system works perfectly, I have no issues really but I was considering swapping the Optane module out for a normal NVME SSD.
    To me it makes sense because instead of relying on the Optane system to cache most used programs a 500Gb NVME system drive (or maybe a 1Tb if I can stretch to it) would accelerate everything, all the time, allowing me to use the HDD just for personal files, backups etc.
    A small caveat is that Optane seems to interfere with Macriums disk imaging (so another reason to change).
    However I have just spent a good 2 hours scouring Amazon for suitable NVME drives and I'm completely confused.
    At first I looked on Intel's site to determine the connection for the Optane, it is apparently an m.2 2280 NVME PCIE 3 device, in the image it has 3 edge connectors (1 is a "B" key, 1 is a "M" key, and the middle 16pin?, I assume the data connectors).
    So I tried to find the same in a NVME drive, all I could find at first were for example EVO drives stating NVME PCIE 3, but with only 2 edge connectors, then I found NVME PCIE 3 drives with 3 edge connectors, then SATA 3 SSD's with 3 edge connectors.
    So my issue is, if my motherboard socket is an m.2 (mechanical key "B") as reported by HWInfo does it matter how many connectors are on the replacement drive, are 3 connectors for wider compatibility? Or do I need a drive with 3 connectors to make it work?
    And why are some of these drives listed as SATA 3 and others as NVME and others as PCIE3?
    Anyone who can shed some light (preferably in non techno-bable) please?

:)

Pejole2165, Jul 4, 2019

2. Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?

I have a 500GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD (boot drive) that I want to replace with a higher capacity M.2 card.

Where do I put the new SSD during the NVMe to NVMe cloning process? My mobo only has one M.2 slot for NVMe SSD's so do I want to use an external adapter for one of the M.2 cards? If so, do you have a recommendation?

If you have solved this issue for your desktop or laptop I would like your advice on if and what extra hardware you needed during the cloning.

please remember that I am dealing with PCIe NVMe drives ONLY. NO Sata is involved except possibly for a connecting cable from the desktop to an adapter. I am experienced with cloning SATA III drives but cloning NVMe is a little
    new to me.

Computer: Dell XPS 8920, 32GB ram.

Present SSD: KXG50ZNV512G NVMe Toshiba 512GB

New SSD: CT13049074 Crucial P1 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD 1TB (or 2TB if available soon) or similar storage device.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 1809.

Cbarnhorst, Jul 4, 2019
  3. Are installed Windows interchangeable between SATA, USB, and NVMe?

Hi nobody-important,

only corporate Enterprise edition allows to use Windows To Go to run it from USB drive (HDD, SSD, or flash). It is unavailable for home users.

NVMe requires UEFI boot and NVMe support (driver in UEFI boot system).

If Windows is installed on SATA drive it can be cloned from HDD to SSD and vice a versa with no trouble.

Transfer from SATA drive to NVMe drive cannot be done by standard ways but there may third-party programs exist allowing this.

Igor Leyko, Jul 4, 2019
  4. Js3199 Win User

Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.

Migrating Windows 10 from m.2 sata to new pcie nvme ssd

Hello all,

I'm going to upgrade my current m.2 sata 128gb to a m.2 pcie nvme 480gb and have questions about migrating Windows over. From my understanding since i have a laptop and cant connect both drives at the same time and pcie nvme isnt supported externally I was
    going to try and create a restore disk of my current drive and then image it to my new drive. Will this work?

Again my process will be, create rescue disk and image to usb, power down and swap drives, enable usb boot to my usb and power on, run the rescue disk and image to my new pcie nvme ssd.

Does anyone see problems with this? Do I need a large usb or will 32gb work for a 128gb ssd?

Js3199, Jul 4, 2019
Thema:

Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.

1. Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types. - Similar Threads - Help needed understand

2. I need help finding cabling to connect two SSD SATA III for cloning

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I need help finding cabling to connect two SSD SATA III for cloning: Hi everyone, I am trying to find out the cabling to connect two SATA III drives together so I can clone the SDD in my new Win 10 desktop SDD to the replacement SDD i bought to install in my old win 7 machine so I have a backup PC ready to go. I am connecting SATA III to...
  3. Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.: Right my system is an Acer pre-built, it comes with a 1Tb SATA HDD and a 16Gb Intel Optane cache. The system works perfectly, I have no issues really but I was considering swapping the Optane module out for a normal NVME SSD. To me it makes sense because instead of relying on...
  4. NVMe vs SATA for M.2 SSD? Samsung 970 EVO

NVMe vs SATA for M.2 SSD? Samsung 970 EVO: What kind of M.2 do I have? NVMe vs SATA? That is the question here! Hi! I have this notebook: Dell G3 5379 and want to get a fast SSD Drive. Will this one fit? I'm confused about NVMe. My notebook has an M.2 slot and so far I only used traditional SATA 2.5" SSD drives....
  5. Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?

Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?: I have a 500GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD (boot drive) that I want to replace with a higher capacity M.2 card. The issue is what hardware to use to clone the old drive to the new one. My mobo has one M.2 slot for SSD's so I want to use an external adapter for one of the M.2...
  6. Can I clone an SATA SSD boot drive onto an NVME PCIE drive?

Can I clone an SATA SSD boot drive onto an NVME PCIE drive?: I'm planning on building a new PC to replace my current one. My current boot drive is a Samsung 850 Pro SSD connected to an SATA port. My new configuration will have a Samsung 870 EVO PCIe SSD connected to an M.2 NVME slot on the motherboard. My plan was to restore a Macrium...
  7. Need some help to understand Windows Defender telemetry.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Need some help to understand Windows Defender telemetry.: This topic it may have been discussed somewhere in tenforums, if so please redirect me. I decided to use Windows Defender (WD) and SmartScreen (SS) as AV. I would like to tweak its settings to avoid telemetry as far as it does not reduce the effectiveness of its...
  8. Sata ssd

Sata ssd: What is the difference between SATAI,II,and III? I want to buy one from EBay. Its a Seagate SATA I for only $11.00 160gb don't need much more than that. Just enough to hold small docs and for surfing. 102827
  9. Need help understanding Disk Management

Need help understanding Disk Management: [img] This is from my Dell Tablet. What are all the Disk 0 Partitions? They are all showing empty. Can I delete them to free up more disk space? 101214
  10. NVMe vs Sata 3 SSD Performance Comparison

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    NVMe vs Sata 3 SSD Performance Comparison: Today I got the Samsung 960 Pro 512Gb NVMe drive. Previously I was using the Samsung 850 Pro 512GB drive. The two screenshots below show the difference between Sata 3 based SSD and an NVMe one. [img] [img] So for those of you who are thinking about getting one...