Windows 10: Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.

Discus and support Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Right my system is an Acer pre-built, it comes with a 1Tb SATA HDD and a 16Gb Intel Optane cache. The system works perfectly, I have no issues really... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Pejole2165, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.

Right my system is an Acer pre-built, it comes with a 1Tb SATA HDD and a 16Gb Intel Optane cache. The system works perfectly, I have no issues really but I was considering swapping the Optane module out for a normal NVME SSD.
    To me it makes sense because instead of relying on the Optane system to cache most used programs a 500Gb NVME system drive (or maybe a 1Tb if I can stretch to it) would accelerate everything, all the time, allowing me to use the HDD just for personal files, backups etc.
    A small caveat is that Optane seems to interfere with Macriums disk imaging (so another reason to change).
    However I have just spent a good 2 hours scouring Amazon for suitable NVME drives and I'm completely confused.
    At first I looked on Intel's site to determine the connection for the Optane, it is apparently an m.2 2280 NVME PCIE 3 device, in the image it has 3 edge connectors (1 is a "B" key, 1 is a "M" key, and the middle 16pin?, I assume the data connectors).
    So I tried to find the same in a NVME drive, all I could find at first were for example EVO drives stating NVME PCIE 3, but with only 2 edge connectors, then I found NVME PCIE 3 drives with 3 edge connectors, then SATA 3 SSD's with 3 edge connectors.
    So my issue is, if my motherboard socket is an m.2 (mechanical key "B") as reported by HWInfo does it matter how many connectors are on the replacement drive, are 3 connectors for wider compatibility? Or do I need a drive with 3 connectors to make it work?
    And why are some of these drives listed as SATA 3 and others as NVME and others as PCIE3?
    Anyone who can shed some light (preferably in non techno-bable) please?

:)

Pejole2165, Jul 4, 2019

2. Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?

I have a 500GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD (boot drive) that I want to replace with a higher capacity M.2 card.

Where do I put the new SSD during the NVMe to NVMe cloning process? My mobo only has one M.2 slot for NVMe SSD's so do I want to use an external adapter for one of the M.2 cards? If so, do you have a recommendation?

If you have solved this issue for your desktop or laptop I would like your advice on if and what extra hardware you needed during the cloning.

please remember that I am dealing with PCIe NVMe drives ONLY. NO Sata is involved except possibly for a connecting cable from the desktop to an adapter. I am experienced with cloning SATA III drives but cloning NVMe is a little
    new to me.

Computer: Dell XPS 8920, 32GB ram.

Present SSD: KXG50ZNV512G NVMe Toshiba 512GB

New SSD: CT13049074 Crucial P1 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD 1TB (or 2TB if available soon) or similar storage device.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 1809.

Cbarnhorst, Jul 4, 2019
  3. Are installed Windows interchangeable between SATA, USB, and NVMe?

Hi nobody-important,

only corporate Enterprise edition allows to use Windows To Go to run it from USB drive (HDD, SSD, or flash). It is unavailable for home users.

NVMe requires UEFI boot and NVMe support (driver in UEFI boot system).

If Windows is installed on SATA drive it can be cloned from HDD to SSD and vice a versa with no trouble.

Transfer from SATA drive to NVMe drive cannot be done by standard ways but there may third-party programs exist allowing this.

Igor Leyko, Jul 4, 2019
  4. Js3199 Win User

Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.

Migrating Windows 10 from m.2 sata to new pcie nvme ssd

Hello all,

I'm going to upgrade my current m.2 sata 128gb to a m.2 pcie nvme 480gb and have questions about migrating Windows over. From my understanding since i have a laptop and cant connect both drives at the same time and pcie nvme isnt supported externally I was
    going to try and create a restore disk of my current drive and then image it to my new drive. Will this work?

Again my process will be, create rescue disk and image to usb, power down and swap drives, enable usb boot to my usb and power on, run the rescue disk and image to my new pcie nvme ssd.

Does anyone see problems with this? Do I need a large usb or will 32gb work for a 128gb ssd?

Js3199, Jul 4, 2019
Thema:

Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.

1. Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types. - Similar Threads - Help needed understand

2. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme: Hi so i'm planning on building a new pc and my main storage drive on it will be an m.2 nvme and i want to clone my current pc's main sata ssd with my windows install on it to the new pc, I already know how to clone sata ssd to m.2 nvme and keep all my old files and keep...
  3. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme: Hi so i'm planning on building a new pc and my main storage drive on it will be an m.2 nvme and i want to clone my current pc's main sata ssd with my windows install on it to the new pc, I already know how to clone sata ssd to m.2 nvme and keep all my old files and keep...
  4. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. What is SATA or NVMe SSD? How to tell if SSD is SATA or NVMe?

in Windows 10 News
    What is SATA or NVMe SSD? How to tell if SSD is SATA or NVMe?: The storage world can be a confusing place, particularly for those trying to learn the basics. It’s a difference that might not seem like a big deal, but it can really affect how your system runs. Today we are talking about SATA-based SSD and NVMe-based SSD. What are the...
  6. SATA SSD-> NVMe clone exercise - post-clone difficulties

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    SATA SSD-> NVMe clone exercise - post-clone difficulties: Hey All, (this thread has been raised on HP forums under: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskto...m/td-p/7340240 I also raised separate thread here: Windows 10 restarts to black screen after SSD clone) I decided to move off SATA SSD (Samsung 850 Pro) to NVMe SSA (SAMSUNG...
  7. Cloning old system drive on sata SSD to a nvme SSD on a new rig.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning old system drive on sata SSD to a nvme SSD on a new rig.: Long story short, I need to clone the content of my old machine's sata SSD into my new machine's nvme SSD so I can continue using my current installation without losing my software, settings, personal files etc. I have a clone of my drive on another SSD at the moment for...
  8. Can a NVMe SSD simply replace a SATA 3?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can a NVMe SSD simply replace a SATA 3?: 4 months out of warranty, the SSD in my Lenovo Yoga 920 died. I was going to replace it with another 80mm SATA 3 SSD but just discovered NVMe SSDs. I'm wondering whether I can use one of these or whether in fact some devices do or don't have NVMe support. 138101
  9. Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.

in Windows 10 Support
    Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.: Right my system is an Acer pre-built, it comes with a 1Tb SATA HDD and a 16Gb Intel Optane cache. The system works perfectly, I have no issues really but I was considering swapping the Optane module out for a normal NVME SSD. To me it makes sense because instead of relying on...
  10. NVMe vs Sata 3 SSD Performance Comparison

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    NVMe vs Sata 3 SSD Performance Comparison: Today I got the Samsung 960 Pro 512Gb NVMe drive. Previously I was using the Samsung 850 Pro 512GB drive. The two screenshots below show the difference between Sata 3 based SSD and an NVMe one. [img] [img] So for those of you who are thinking about getting one...