Windows 10: HELP New computer to Att gateway router question

Discus and support HELP New computer to Att gateway router question in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Let me start out by saying I do not have a gateway connection. I have set up a brand new desktop computer for a good very non-tech friend & I will be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LadyDee, Oct 8, 2018.

1. LadyDee Win User

HELP New computer to Att gateway router question

Let me start out by saying I do not have a gateway connection. I have set up a brand new desktop computer for a good very non-tech friend & I will be taking it there tomorrow. Personally, I am a cable cutter so I want to clarify her connection to the ATT gateway. Does the ethernet cable from the new desktop simply go into any LAN port or is there a WAN port that I need to plug into? She has the whole bundle with internet, phone & Smart TV. She will be of no help so I'm trying to get my answers before I go there. Also I have to assume as usual a full reboot of everything will be needed in the end? I also assume the MAC number is the password? Her's was set up by ATT originally.

A nice new Windows 10 desktop is now replacing a very old & very dead Visa machine for her.

Thank you very much

:)

LadyDee, Oct 8, 2018
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Bypassing ATT u-verse gateway

Plug the Airport WAN port into one of the U-Verse's LAN ports. Log into the ATT gateway, put the Airport into the DMZ, disable wireless on the ATT gateway(optional).

There is no way to completely get rid of the ATT gateway, as it is both the modem and a router, but doing this will essentially turn the gateway into a modem only, and the Airport will handle the router function on your network.

newtekie1, Oct 8, 2018
  3. imaloony Win User
    New router, "Default Gateway Not Available" error

I'm trying to go through these suggestions slowly, see if I can pinpoint what it is exactly that fixes my issue. So far, here's what I've done:

- I didn't have a chance to restart my router; I've been out since I posted this and only had a chance to to the listed steps and leave my computer while it was restarting. That'll be my next step if I still have problems.
    - I checked advanced power settings and everything under wireless was at Maximum.
    - Went to Lenovo and got the recommended driver, downloaded it, installed it, and reset my computer.

Like I said, I'm going through this stuff slowly. I haven't seen any issues since then, but I've only been using my computer for about an hour, so I'll continue to monitor it.

As for the clarifications I was asked for:

- The router is fairly close to our stereo system, but that thing's rarely turned on, so I imagine it isn't much of a problem.
    - I'm not sure how to check if it's 2.4 Ghz or 5Ghz
    - All of the wifi bars are lit; they never dip below maximum.

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

imaloony, Oct 8, 2018
  4. Neemobeer Win User

router help

You don't need anything more than a web browser to configure a router
    • Power it on
    • Press and hold the reset button on it for 15-20 seconds
    • Plug a network cable from your computer to a LAN port on the router
    • Open command prompt and type ipconfig and make note of the gateway address
    • Open a web browser and type in the gateway ip address
    • Enter the default user and password ususally admin/admin or admin/<blank> or admin/pass
    • Configure away

Things you should configure
    • change the administration password
    • disable remote administration (wireless is fine as long as you secure wireless with WPA2)
    • Enable wireless security WPA2 with a good password 10+ in length

Neemobeer, Oct 8, 2018
Thema:

1. HELP New computer to Att gateway router question - Similar Threads - HELP computer Att

2. New Wifi router not showing on Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Wifi router not showing on Computer: I have just replaced my modem and router with a new arris s33 modem and the w121 mesh router. They are up and running and I can connect with my phone with the network showing a strong and fast signal, but my dell computer with Windows 10 will not show the new network even...
  3. Gateway router unreachable ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gateway router unreachable ?: I've searched for a solution to this problem over the course of several days; I cannot get one computer to see the gateway router, that includes entering the IP for the router; it just won't connect. The only change that occurred was a change from an older router to a new...
  4. Gateway router unreachable ?

Gateway router unreachable ?: I've searched for a solution to this problem over the course of several days; I cannot get one computer to see the gateway router, that includes entering the IP for the router; it just won't connect. The only change that occurred was a change from an older router to a new...
  5. Gateway router unreachable ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Gateway computer

Gateway computer: My gateway computer will not boot up keeps saying something about windows not installing properly and I need to contact support but everywhere is so busy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/gateway-computer/176d2fd9-835f-4844-99c1-dc938013171b
  7. Gateway computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Gateway computer: My gateway computer will not boot up keeps saying something about windows not installing properly and I need to contact support but everywhere is so busy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/gateway-computer/176d2fd9-835f-4844-99c1-dc938013171b
  8. Would a new router help?

Would a new router help?: My TPLink Archer C8 router is about 6 years old, it's supposed to provide 1300Mbps link on the 5GHz 802.11ac wifi, but the best I ever get (from 15ft away) on my laptop with Intel AC9560 is 886.7Mbps. I have visited the Intel sites to verify my laptop adapter settings are...
  9. Gateway Router Stops Responding/Stuck with a 2nd Router (Switch/Repea)

Gateway Router Stops Responding/Stuck with a 2nd Router (Switch/Repea): Hi all, this is not a problem directly related to Windows 10 but rather with my current network and router setup. I currently have my gateway router and my switch router which I have setup using a Seven Forums tutorial: Multi Router Network - Configure - Windows 7 Help...
  10. New router, "Default Gateway Not Available" error

New router, "Default Gateway Not Available" error: You'll have to excuse me as I explain this as best I can; I'm not the most tech savvy individual, but I'll do my best to explain my problem in as much detail as possible. I had been having a lot of trouble with my wifi and purchased a new router last month (info below). At...