Windows 10: Help on a clean install of Win 11

Discus and support Help on a clean install of Win 11 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I had a PC running Win 10 of a SSD. The PC started to give me problems and eventually determined that it was the SSD. I attempted to Download Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by RonnieB47, May 31, 2023.

1. RonnieB47 Win User

Help on a clean install of Win 11

I had a PC running Win 10 of a SSD. The PC started to give me problems and eventually determined that it was the SSD. I attempted to Download Win 10 but was told I couldn't so I decided to get a new SSD and install Win !!. Perhaps I went about it the wrong way and instead of downloading it I purchased a DVD of it. That's when I ran into more problems. My motherboard is an MSI B450M and is compatible. I found out about a TPM and purchased a TPM module. I received compatibility error. Eventually I found out about needing a Platform Key. I had no idea how to get one and couldn't find a place in t

:)

RonnieB47, May 31, 2023

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, May 31, 2023
  3. dalchina Win User
    Installation Win 11 WEIRD behavior

Hi, this is a Windows 11 question. You appear to be referring (though it's not absolutely clear) to a clean install of Win 11.

elevenforum.com supports Win 11 - I suggest you register there- you will find many tenforums members there.

When you post there, please clarify
    That would imply you deleted all partitions of your existing Windows 10 and installed to unallocated space on your disk.
    Is that correct?

This suggests this is a build customised by HP. Windows normally includes all drivers needed; exceptions can be hardware and features specific to a particular model.

There are several threads about not being able to type in search boxes on tenforums with solutions.

However, this forum focusses on Win 10. Those threads may help you with that, although you should not be experiencing such problems with a clean install. Feel free to search tenforums for thise threads.

Note too your PC is under warranty- so feel free to contact HP support and use their forum.

Which server? something to do with HP? If so, suggest you refer to HP.

dalchina, May 31, 2023
  4. x509 Win User

Why I decided against a Win 11 clean install for now

My old Win 10 Pro install on my desktop rig has a bunch of issues, so I decided it was time for a wipe-the-drive clean install. Then I thought that I should use this new install as an opportunity to migrate to Win 11. However, after several days of constantly reinstalling Win 11, and wasting lots of time on program installs and "how do I do this in Win 11" I have decided to revert back to my old Win 10 install for right now.

I'm about to travel for over 2 weeks, and when I get back, I'll do a clean Win 10 install. Here is why.
    A clean install Win 11 is user hostile. You can't finish the first-time setup without a Wi-Fi connection. (unlike Win 10) BUT, you just did a clean install, and you can't install additional drivers at this point. But without those drivers, you are stalled. Microsoft does offer a web link for fixing the issue, but it's not very helpful.

Once I got Win 11 installed, and I got the password issue under control, I discovered that I was constantly posting questions like, "How do I do this in Win 11?" because the GUI has changed. Is MS doing these changes to justify a new Win major release? And how does it benefit me to change the START button, or rename Admininstrative Tasks to Windows Tasks, or create a Windows Terminal to replace the search box? And those are just the changes I've encountered so far. I feel like I need a list of all the Win 10 GUI elements that have been changed in Win 11.

Actual new functionality in Win 11? I'm sure it's there, somewhere but from what I've read, it's all "nice to have" and not "must have."

Thanks to some helpful posts in the ElevynForum (by regulars from this forum), I learned that I need to start in "Audit mode." That worked, but after one or two reboots, (while you are installing drivers) Win 11 suddenly prompts you for a password for this account default0, which you didn't create. And I say that Win 11 also created a password for Administrator, without informing you? So to learn about fix all these issues, I had to re-install and re-install, and learn what I needed to do right after the install finishes.

Until you connect to the MS server, you can't create user accounts.

After a while, I got this weird "side by side" error with EDGE, rendering it useless. MS of course does have a fix, but it's a whole bunch of "try this, try that" steps.

So I've concluded that I need to try doing a clean Win 10 install, then upgrading to Win 11. But not right now. I need to get some actual work done, not futz around endlessly with a poorly design Win 11 install.

Thema:

1. Help on a clean install of Win 11 - Similar Threads - Help clean install

2. Help installing clean windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help installing clean windows 11: Hello, I am unable to install a clean version of windows 11 on my computer after receiving a BSOD and REGISTRY_ERROR. I have created a bootable flash drive and followed steps from other guides up until selecting my partition for the windows installation and now I receive the...
  3. Help installing clean windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help installing clean windows 11: Hello, I am unable to install a clean version of windows 11 on my computer after receiving a BSOD and REGISTRY_ERROR. I have created a bootable flash drive and followed steps from other guides up until selecting my partition for the windows installation and now I receive the...
  4. Clean install of win 11 pro

Clean install of win 11 pro: I have a laptop running with a digital licence for Win10 Pro. The laptop originally came with Win 10 home but I upgraded to win 10 pro using a key from a win 7 ultimate dvd.Windows update tells me I can update to win 11 pro from my present install and acquire a digital...
  5. Clean install of win 11 pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean install of win 11 pro: I have a laptop running with a digital licence for Win10 Pro. The laptop originally came with Win 10 home but I upgraded to win 10 pro using a key from a win 7 ultimate dvd.Windows update tells me I can update to win 11 pro from my present install and acquire a digital...
  6. Help on a clean install of Win 11

Help on a clean install of Win 11: I had a PC running Win 10 of a SSD. The PC started to give me problems and eventually determined that it was the SSD. I attempted to Download Win 10 but was told I couldn't so I decided to get a new SSD and install Win !!. Perhaps I went about it the wrong way and instead of...
  7. win 11 clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win 11 clean install: My win 11 has become a nightmare on my dell desktop. I want to do a clean install with none of the dell BS. I am backing up all my files to a portable ssd? please provide some guidance. Thank...
  8. win 11 clean install

win 11 clean install: My win 11 has become a nightmare on my dell desktop. I want to do a clean install with none of the dell BS. I am backing up all my files to a portable ssd? please provide some guidance. Thank...
  9. Can't install clean win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't install clean win 11: I tried to make clean install of 11 and it said that my PC don't meet requirements.I am running WIn 11 Insider Build and my system meet requirements and also it said that win is active with digital licence and it don't accept win kay.why?...
  10. Can't install clean win 11

Can't install clean win 11: I tried to make clean install of 11 and it said that my PC don't meet requirements.I am running WIn 11 Insider Build and my system meet requirements and also it said that win is active with digital licence and it don't accept win kay.why?...