Windows 10: Help? Out of box win 10 fine now cant even type into start search box

Discus and support Help? Out of box win 10 fine now cant even type into start search box in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; HELP?? New notebook win 10 preloaded was working fine out of the box for a few weeks now I cant type into the start search box .... . its a few weeks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MARIQ, Jan 30, 2016.

1. MARIQ Win User

Help? Out of box win 10 fine now cant even type into start search box

HELP?? New notebook win 10 preloaded was working fine out of the box for a few weeks now I cant type into the start search box .... . its a few weeks in on this new thing and I cant even get it to let me type into the start search box to open my computer to find a drive like when I pop in a usb or to open my downloads or to search a file and sometimes it wont let me open the power down etc etc ... what is WRONG with this thing...minimal tech savvy here ..hellpppp*Sick

:)

MARIQ, Jan 30, 2016
  2. PattyT64 Win User

Can't open "app box" or type in search box

I installed Windows 10 on my PC the night before last when it popped up saying I could. It seemed to be fine but I noticed the little purple box on the left side of the task bar would open the apps thing but when I clicked on any of them.. nothing happened
    (Mail, Settings, News, Cortana, etc.). Then today,, I clicked on that box and it won't open at all. Also my search bar will not allow me to type into it. I cannot find what I need because I can't search my own computer. Right clicking brings up a list but
    Search doesn't work when I click on that either.

I tried reinstalling Windows 10 but that didn't help. I have no idea what to do as the app thing is a major part of the OS. I wanted to try Cortana and other things but now I can not open that box at all. And I need the search bar to allow me to search my
    computer!

Can anyone please help me? I don't know if I uninstall 10, whether I will be able to reinstall it for free and even if that will fix the problem. As it is, my computer looks and runs like Windows 7 Home which is my old OS. The only change is that I have
    Task View box on my task bar now. I see no other changes because I can't get off my desktop and onto the nifty apps page that looks like 8.1.

I knew I should have waited... Anyone have a solution?

Thanks.

EDIT: I tried to roll back to Win 7 and it said I was missing something on my computer to do that. I tried to reset my computer and when the blue screen comes up asking me to pick a keyboard, I can't as my mouse doesn't show up and the keyboard doesn't work
    on that page so I can't so a thing. My only resort now is to completely reformat my computer and I hope THAT works.

PattyT64, Jan 30, 2016
  3. Can't open "app box" or type in search box

I have the same problem.

Activated Windows 10 64-bit, clicking on Search the web and Windows without any response. When I click on
    Windows Start button, it opens after
    delay of maybe 2 secs.

LukasWrymn, Jan 30, 2016
  4. snoopy51 Win User

I believe you have a new HP laptop. First you want to check to make sure it is not a hardware problem.
    You can the HP Diagnostic test by:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
    • Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.
    • The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) home page displays.

Help? Out of box win 10 fine now cant even type into start search box [​IMG]

Run tests and watch the Keyboard test carefully! If there is hardware related, you can then call HP to initiate the repair process. It can be a keyboard controller problem or a software problem?

snoopy51, Jan 30, 2016
  5. MARIQ Win User
    Hi Snoopy .. I will try that as soon as I get back home ...
    It is newish had it since christmas ... been working ok then this happens ..... I have been reading forums I guess a LOT of people are having this issue some think its cortana some other issues but I cant even open CORTANA ... if I try to click on nay of the apps in the start menu it wont open .. but I can click and type into firefox from the desktop icon and use it to type etc etc but it just wont open anything from the start menu or allow me to click on apps from the start menu .... my old vista has been OK since years ago and I may just use that laptop and try to return the windows 10 junk ??

MARIQ, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Help? Out of box win 10 fine now cant even type into start search box - Similar Threads - Help box fine

2. I can't type in windows 10 start "type here to search" box also in file explorer search box

in Cortana
    I can't type in windows 10 start "type here to search" box also in file explorer search box: I can't type in windows 10 start "type here to search" box also in file explorer search box after updating my windows. Can anyone help me out?...
  3. Cannot Type in Search Boxes Explorer/Start...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot Type in Search Boxes Explorer/Start...: I have an unusual issue where I cannot type anything into Windows search boxes. Specifically the built in 'Search' in the explorer windows, and the 'Start' menu search doesn't show when typing. However I can search in the Control Panel. Also, to confound this issue further...
  4. Win10 search box starts blacked out...

in Cortana
    Win10 search box starts blacked out...: Hi, When selecting the search facility the box appears completely blacked out. If I click in the box the normal contents then appear. Once I enter a search word the results do not appear and the box returns to black, again if I click in the box the results then appear....
  5. Cant type on windows search box.

in Cortana
    Cant type on windows search box.: was working fine and stopped working. can use search box on taskbar nor windows explorer. tried a couple of troubleshooting like: uninstall latest windows update, check if search in active on services manager, rebuild index, i ran the troubleshooter and like always no issues...
  6. SEARCH BOX IN WIN 10

in Cortana
    SEARCH BOX IN WIN 10: SEARCH TAB DOES NOT PERMIT FILTERING BY FILE SIZE, DATE, ETC. I CAN MAKE IT APPEAR BY TYPING > INOT THE SEARCH FIELD, BUT THE SEARCH TAB DISAPPEARS AFTER I EXIT. I HAVE TO TYPE THE > SYMBOL EVERY TIME....
  7. Cannot type in search box

in Cortana
    Cannot type in search box: Hello all, The "improved" search box in Windows 10 v. 1909 is broken. 1) It shows one character at a time. - If I type "pdf" it displays "p" then only "d" then only "f". 2) Then it displays a box character (see picture below). 3) Clicking the arrow button does nothing...
  8. Unable to type in Search box

in Cortana
    Unable to type in Search box: Hi all, I have an office and 3 of my machines are unable to type in the search box, I've come to the conclusion that it is Cortana as on all 3 machines there is no Cortana to be seen. But other machines in the office have Cortana and are able to search I have tried...
  9. Win 10 Search Box

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 Search Box: In Win 7, searches are available for repeat by down-arrowing the Search box to the Right pane of the particular file. In Win 10 I have to go up to the Ribbon for my list of searches. An exhaustive search on the web provides me with one answer. Can't be done on the Home...
  10. win 10 search box

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    win 10 search box: My search box on windows 10 disappears when i click on it to search https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/win-10-search-box/268cfcf8-26e2-4daf-8ab8-5831de3e9f00