Windows 10: [Help] PIN questions from a Linux convert.

Discus and support [Help] PIN questions from a Linux convert. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Switching from Linux to Windows, and I have some specific questions regarding PINs. I tried to Google but all I found were propaganda articles... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/whatnodeaddogwilleat, Apr 18, 2020.

1. [Help] PIN questions from a Linux convert.

Switching from Linux to Windows, and I have some specific questions regarding PINs. I tried to Google but all I found were propaganda articles promising me PIN was better than password.

For context, I am exclusively using Windows Home on a personal Desktop with a Microsoft Account login (not domain).

(1) Pretend I was a crazy Linux privacy/security not job. Does the PIN ever get sent to Microsoft servers, or is it exclusively kept on the local machine for local computation to send a hash or whatever for verification to Microsoft?

(2) Can knowledge of my PIN without my Password be used by an UNINVITED third party to access my machine remotely, or does it require physical machine access?

Tried to click Help flare but Firefox won't let me. Still working out the kinks...

submitted by /u/whatnodeaddogwilleat
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/whatnodeaddogwilleat, Apr 18, 2020

2. Switch to Linux ??

Find a suitable Linux forum and request comments from people who converted from Linux to Windows, in particular on

• Stability
    • Ease of use
    • Availability of external help in case of trouble
    • Availability of applications, games
    • Data exchange with the Windows world

Frederik Long, Apr 18, 2020
  3. Silverel Win User
    Guide: How to enable, use, and configure SLI on Linux.

I guess the next logical step would be to report on the performance you can get with SLI in Linux. That'd be my suggestion anyway.

Silverel, Apr 18, 2020
  4. [Help] PIN questions from a Linux convert.

Cannot convert GPT to MBR.

Hi Michael,

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

This method you have to backup all your data and delete all partitions and volumes. Then use the
    DISKPART command.

• Open command prompt and type in DISKPART and press Enter
    • Then type in list disk (Note down the number of disk you want to convert to GPT)
    • Then type in select disk number of disk
    • Finally type in convert gpt.
    Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Anup Karkal, Apr 18, 2020
Thema:

[Help] PIN questions from a Linux convert.

1. [Help] PIN questions from a Linux convert. - Similar Threads - Help PIN questions

2. convert disks to gpt help

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    convert disks to gpt help: For context I have a 2tb hard drive and a 500mb ssd and im trying to upgrade to windows 11. So I'm trying to upgrade to windows 11 and I had to activate tpm Which I did with no issues and enable secure boot. After a little research I found I had to convert my drives to gpt,...
  3. convert disks to gpt help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    convert disks to gpt help: For context I have a 2tb hard drive and a 500mb ssd and im trying to upgrade to windows 11. So I'm trying to upgrade to windows 11 and I had to activate tpm Which I did with no issues and enable secure boot. After a little research I found I had to convert my drives to gpt,...
  4. From Linux To Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    From Linux To Windows: Im trying to change a linux operating using a 64-bit machine. using a 32-bit architecturesystem . To Windows 10 operating system.I went to download the Media Creation Tool but { pasted from page site}You’ve been routed to this page because the operating system you’re using...
  5. Question about Linux

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Question about Linux: Hi, I often heard rumors that Linux is better than Windows, is this true? As far as I know, Most Linux distributions have better security than Windows. Linux may be difficult to use for install apps and for command lines. Thanks very much...
  6. Questions about shares in Ubuntu / Linux on Windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Questions about shares in Ubuntu / Linux on Windows: I recently brought up Linux on Windows. I chose the Ubuntu distribution. It works well. Really well. Really fast. But there are a few shortcomings. I hope this is the right forum for these questions ... 1. It cannot see remote shares. I mount a laptop share as Z: so I...
  7. Converting VMWare Windows VM to run on Linux hypervisors

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Converting VMWare Windows VM to run on Linux hypervisors: Hi Virtual Machine user Geeks !!! You can convert Windows VMWare VM's to run on KVM or XEN --- these are 2 of the Linux HYPERVISORS equivalent to HYPER-V on Windows. For XEN (although KVM these days is the preferred method) : If you are using a Linux Host and have Windows...
  8. Password/PIN question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password/PIN question: Hello, Recently, Microsoft sent an update suggesting I set a PIN for access to my PC versus using the original password I set up for access. I set the PIN as directed. After using the PIN for about a week, the computer is slow to open to the password page and have now gone...
  9. Diskpart question-convert from GPT to MBR on a flash drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Diskpart question-convert from GPT to MBR on a flash drive: Hi, I have a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive that was created using Rufus so it has GPT partition table for UEFI setup. I want to put it back to MBR partition style using Diskpart. In diskpart if I select the disk and then use the clean command does the disk go back to...
  10. License questions. Converting W8.1 to W10.

in Windows 10 Support
    License questions. Converting W8.1 to W10.: I have a full retail boxed 'W8.1 Home' pack (NOT an OEM) that includes two DVD's, a 32bit and 64 bit. The 64 bit has been in use for 18 months on my main PC, however in order to jump on the W10 bandwagon I installed W10 Pro on this PC by using my old W7 Pro Dell OEM...