Windows 10: Help Please ? Deleted Iconcache.db and now Windows won't load.

Discus and support Help Please ? Deleted Iconcache.db and now Windows won't load. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Please someone help me. I booted my Windows 10 Desktop this morning and there were blank (missing) icons. After refreshing the Desktop they did not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RobertDaniel7, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Help Please ? Deleted Iconcache.db and now Windows won't load.

Please someone help me. I booted my Windows 10 Desktop this morning and there were blank (missing) icons. After refreshing the Desktop they did not return. I read online about deleting the iconcache.db file from c:\users\username\appdata\local folder, which I did. I then restarted my PC hoping that WIN10 would automatically rebuild the iconcache.db All my desktop does now is show a small spinning blue circle that blinks into a mouse pointer every few seconds. Windows never starts and I don't know where to go from here. I have a copy of an Iconcache.db files from my laptop but I can't transfer it to my desktop with command prompt due to limitations.

What do I do now ?

:)

RobertDaniel7, Aug 18, 2019
  2. Aliznk Win User

IconCache refuse to be deleted

Hi,

The icons on my laptop have become black, so i follow differents instructions to delete IconCache from User AppData, local. But the icons are still the same. after deleting IconCache each time i check i see that it is there. So the problem of icon is not
    resolved. Can you please help?

Aliznk, Aug 18, 2019
  3. Iconcache Problem

Hi,

The Icon Cache or IconCache.db is a special database file that Windows utilizes to keep copies of each icon handy. To help resolve the issue, we need to rebuild your icon cache in Windows 10. Follow the steps below:

• Right-click Start Menu button, select Command Prompt.
    • Type cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer attrib –h iconcache_*.db del iconcache_*.db start explorer
    • Then press Enter.

Let us know how it goes.

Martin Bar, Aug 18, 2019
  4. Help Please ? Deleted Iconcache.db and now Windows won't load.

deleting the IconCache.db file

To restore desktop icons in Windows 10, you need to rebuild the Icon Cache. In order to rebuild the Icon Cache, you need to delete the IconCache.db file.

Here's how:

• Open File Explorer and navigate to the following folder:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • In the Explorer folder, you will see a lot of files with the
      iconcache name. Delete all of them.

Once you have deleted all the iconcache files, a folder names IconCacheToDelete
    will appear. Simply restart your PC and this folder will disappear.

In the event that you are unable to delete some of the files, see the steps below:

• Open elevated Command Prompt. (Win+X > Command Prompt (Admin))
    • Type the following command, and then press Enter:

cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer attrib –h iconcache_*.db del iconcache_*.db start explorer

Should you encounter further issues, let us know.

Patricia Yu, Aug 18, 2019
Thema:

Help Please ? Deleted Iconcache.db and now Windows won't load.

1. Help Please ? Deleted Iconcache.db and now Windows won't load. - Similar Threads - Help Please Deleted

2. I deleted the universal port and now my keyboard and mouse won't work, please help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I deleted the universal port and now my keyboard and mouse won't work, please help: Universal port and now it won't work* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-deleted-the-universal-port-and-now-my-keyboard/52863e0e-df4f-48b8-b48c-b1de82f8f1d4
  3. I deleted the universal port and now my keyboard and mouse won't work, please help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I deleted the universal port and now my keyboard and mouse won't work, please help: Universal port and now it won't work* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-deleted-the-universal-port-and-now-my-keyboard/52863e0e-df4f-48b8-b48c-b1de82f8f1d4
  4. Cannot delete iconcache files windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete iconcache files windows 11: Hi, I'm Miklós! On my laptop, my icons started to become white paper icons, one by one. I searched for how could I fix this issue. They said delete iconcache. But it won't let me. It says: The action can't be completed, because the file is open is windows explorer....
  5. Cannot delete iconcache files windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot delete iconcache files windows 11: Hi, I'm Miklós! On my laptop, my icons started to become white paper icons, one by one. I searched for how could I fix this issue. They said delete iconcache. But it won't let me. It says: The action can't be completed, because the file is open is windows explorer....
  6. Does deleting the IconCache after it causes Problems?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Does deleting the IconCache after it causes Problems?: Hello!Does deleting the IconCache after it causes Problems?Because i have X mark behind some of my files so i gotta delete that file..will it causes problems after deleting it?...
  7. Deleted a certificate and now Windows won't load

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleted a certificate and now Windows won't load: Hi there, so a few days ago I started to get random freezes. I updated drivers, scanned viruses/malware, scanned for RAM/disk/Windows errors, and it still seems to happen.Tonight I remembered about the Event Viewer, and after checking right after a freeze happened, it always...
  8. Failed update, now Windows won't load.

in Windows 10 Support
    Failed update, now Windows won't load.: Good day all, I'm running Windows 10 Home 64 bit (Don't know the exact version number as I don't have access to Windows ATM) I was informed I needed to do the most recent update, so I attempted to do so, but when I returned to my computer it was stuck at something like 53%. I...
  9. deleting iconcache

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    deleting iconcache: I have tried resetting the iconcache by following several stept I found in your troubleshoot pages. Unfortunately when I try to delete iconcache in commandprompt I can't delete it. despite ending explorer.exe I get the message that iconcache is stil active and that i can't...
  10. update now facebook won't load

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    update now facebook won't load: My PC just did an update, now can't get facebook to load on either chrome or firefox it will load on IE just not the two browsers i actually use. it was all fine before the update any help would be appreciated...