Windows 10: Help please! ~The following configuration options were auto updated

Discus and support Help please! ~The following configuration options were auto updated in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Over and over again my computer wants to reboot then bring up the following message: --- Initializing Intel Boot Agent GE v1.3.24 PXE 2.1 Build... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ehjay, Apr 8, 2016.

1. ehjay Win User

Help please! ~The following configuration options were auto updated

Over and over again my computer wants to reboot then bring up the following message:

---
    Initializing Intel Boot Agent GE v1.3.24
    PXE 2.1 Build 086 (WfM 2.0)

The following configuration options were automatically updated:
    - then my hard drives pop up here
    If you are running Unix, you need to configure your system using the Computer Setup Utility
    ---

I've searched the 'net over and over about what's going on here but I can't seem to stop this from happening.
    I've tried to turn network boot off, update the BIOS, change boot order and made sure the clock is correct but none of them seem to do anything.

I'm currently running Windows 10 Enterprise x64
    The model is an HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT PC

Processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Cores, 2 Log
    BIOS should be up-to-date (I believe) HP 786G7 v01.14, 10/14/2015

I'll glady give any more details/info that could help resolve this!

Cheers.

:)

ehjay, Apr 8, 2016
  2. dalchina New Member

Hi, looks like HP cannot confirm your PC is Win 10 compatible. HP lists XP to '7
    and says this:
    http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/windows.../Findmyproduct

Could you clarify:
    Have you just upgraded? Clean installed? Have you had Win 10 running successfully and now sthg has gone wrong? If so, what happened before this?

Thanks!

dalchina, Apr 8, 2016
  3. ehjay Win User
    I bought my tower refurbished from Staples. It came with Windows 7 and I have since upgraded to Windows 10. I used the upgrade tool that kept popping up on my taskbar but I eventually did a fresh install.

I've had zero issues with Windows itself besides this "automatic update thing".

I wonder if the previous owner of this PC had this same issue, returned it and was later resold as refurbished.

ehjay, Apr 8, 2016
  4. Help please! ~The following configuration options were auto updated

Why are you running Enterprise? If there is a Windows 7 COA sticker with a product code on it, you can use that to clean install the matching version of Windows 10. PXE I believe is network boot? Sounds like your BIOS reset to defaults? I think you need to go in and change the first boot device to Windows Boot Manager or your hard drive with Windows on it. If it keeps happening I think I'd replace the motherboard CMOS battery.

alphanumeric, Apr 8, 2016
  5. ehjay Win User
    I was given a W10 disk so I just used that one. The tower does have that sticker so maybe I'll try to install the matching version.

I have already changed the first boot device to the windows drive so I'll just keep an eye on it for another few days. If it keeps happening I guess I'll try changing the battery as well.

ehjay, Apr 8, 2016
  6. Windows 7 Pro or higher entitles you to 10 Pro, anything lower than Pro gets you 10 Home. Your Enterprise is likely a 90 day trial, not activated, or activated illegally. Sooner or latter you'll run into activation issues.

alphanumeric, Apr 8, 2016
  7. ehjay Win User
    Haven't had Windows 10 on here for long. I also upgraded almost immediately after buying so I have no idea if this issue was occurring with Windows 7.

ehjay, Apr 9, 2016
  8. Help please! ~The following configuration options were auto updated

You can download install media here, by the way. Software Download The Windows 7 option will ask for a product code and will reject OEM keys. The Windows 8 and 10 downloads don't require and key to be entered to download the install media.

alphanumeric, Apr 9, 2016
  9. ehjay Win User
    Is the Windows version the cause for my issue though?

ehjay, Apr 9, 2016
  10. I don't think its Windows doing it. I think its a BIOS issue. I run 10 Enterprise on my laptop, 10 Education on my main desktop, and 10 Pro on my other PC's. I ran the Windows 8.1 Enterprise and Pro on the same PC's and never had any issues with Windows changing any of my BIOS settings. If it was my PC I would replace the CMOS battery. They are very inexpensive. You should be able to get one at a pharmacy or any place that sells PC parts.

11. ehjay Win User
    Sounds good then, I'll give that a shot since the PC decided to have another moment a few hours ago.

ehjay, Apr 9, 2016
  12. Setup options are saved in section of the BIOS that's backed up by the battery when the PC is turned off. It maintains the date and time too. If your date and time are all messed up when you boot up that's a clear sign the battery has failed. If the settings are lost the BIOS defaults to the fail safe defaults. That includes the boot order. When that resets, the BIOS will try each one in order until one works. The PXE failed boot message is a tip off that that has happened. If the battery is low but not completely dead, it may depend on how long the PC is off. Overnight might be OK. Leave it off a day or two and the settings get lost.

13. ehjay Win User

Perfect, thanks for the tips!
    I'll replace it this week and hopefully it will stop the madness!

ehjay, Apr 9, 2016
  14. Are you by chance running a utility from the manufacturer that auto updates drivers etc? Some of those will flash the BIOS from Windows? Flashing the BIOS will often reset it to defaults? It shouldn't be flashing the BIOS that often, unless its screwing up and malfunctioning? Or any driver update program really? They are all snake oil IMHO.

15. Depending on where you got your "Enterprise" DVD, it could be infected with malware. It might have software on it that's doing things it shouldn't. Changing settings in the background. Hard to say. There is some nasty stuff bundled in those illegal versions. I wouldn't do any online banking or online purchases on that PC until I clean installed with reliable install media.

Thema:

1. Help please! ~The following configuration options were auto updated - Similar Threads - Help please ~The

2. THE FOLLOWING UPDATES WERE NOT INSTALLED KB5033371

in Windows 10 Gaming
    THE FOLLOWING UPDATES WERE NOT INSTALLED KB5033371: 1. The server build for our Windows Server 2019 Standard Edition is 17763.4974; however, upon reviewing the update history, we discovered that KB5032196 was installed, despite the server build version remaining unchanged.2. Now we can't install after the release JAN ,FEB...
  3. THE FOLLOWING UPDATES WERE NOT INSTALLED KB5033371

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    THE FOLLOWING UPDATES WERE NOT INSTALLED KB5033371: 1. The server build for our Windows Server 2019 Standard Edition is 17763.4974; however, upon reviewing the update history, we discovered that KB5032196 was installed, despite the server build version remaining unchanged.2. Now we can't install after the release JAN ,FEB...
  4. The following updates were not installed: Update For Windows KB3138612

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The following updates were not installed: Update For Windows KB3138612: Hi ThereToday Im Trying To Installing KB3138612, But After I Installing it, the page appearing and Say The Following Update Were Not Installed Is : Update For Windows KB3138612Im Trying To Finding The Solution On YouTube But I Think There Not Much People Making Tutorial Video...
  5. The following updates were not installed: Update For Windows KB3138612

The following updates were not installed: Update For Windows KB3138612: Hi ThereToday Im Trying To Installing KB3138612, But After I Installing it, the page appearing and Say The Following Update Were Not Installed Is : Update For Windows KB3138612Im Trying To Finding The Solution On YouTube But I Think There Not Much People Making Tutorial Video...
  6. can THIS FOLLOWING LINK be an option in future versions of Windows please?...

can THIS FOLLOWING LINK be an option in future versions of Windows please?...: can THIS FOLLOWING LINK be an option in future versions of Windows please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/newthread?threadtype=Questions&cancelurl=%2Fen-us%2Fpage%2FgettingstartedIs there a place to officially make suggestions? You know, someone to direct questions at?...
  7. can THIS FOLLOWING LINK be an option in future versions of Windows please?...

in Windows 10 Customization
    can THIS FOLLOWING LINK be an option in future versions of Windows please?...: can THIS FOLLOWING LINK be an option in future versions of Windows please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/newthread?threadtype=Questions&cancelurl=%2Fen-us%2Fpage%2FgettingstartedIs there a place to officially make suggestions? You know, someone to direct questions at?...
  8. can THIS FOLLOWING LINK be an option in future versions of Windows please?...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. The following updates were not installed: Security Update for Windows KB5005568

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The following updates were not installed: Security Update for Windows KB5005568: Trying to manually apply this update to an offline system running Windows 1809 LTSB and received this error. It happens with the previous month's cumulative update as well KB5005030. Event Log says it fails to update with error 0x80073712 Nothing seems to be working as far as...
  10. Auto-follow BkGnd with 20H2

in Windows 10 Customization
    Auto-follow BkGnd with 20H2: FYI: NOW, with 20H2... IF, wallpaper is changing, using a Theme or Slideshow AND Accent Colour is set to Auto-pick from background AND set to affect Start/ Taskbar/AC & or Title bars & Borders... then, everything will follow the changing hues in the wallpapers. Cheers, Drew...