Windows 10: Help please! ~The following configuration options were auto updated

Discus and support Help please! ~The following configuration options were auto updated in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I don't believe I have any programs automatically updating anything and the computer will randomly reboot when it pleases so I don't thing it's on any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ehjay, Apr 8, 2016.

1. ehjay Win User

Help please! ~The following configuration options were auto updated

I don't believe I have any programs automatically updating anything and the computer will randomly reboot when it pleases so I don't thing it's on any sort of scheduled update anywhere.

ehjay, Apr 9, 2016

2. Ok, just wanted to rule that out. Thanks.

alphanumeric, Apr 9, 2016
  3. ehjay Win User
    Alright, battery has been changed so we'll see how things go. Hopefully there's no more issues.

ehjay, Apr 13, 2016
  4. ehjay Win User

Not having any luck here...

Woke up to find this:

Help please! ~The following configuration options were auto updated [​IMG]

I then hit F1 and the computer stalled. Manually pushed the power button. After turning back on, this popped up:

Help please! ~The following configuration options were auto updated [​IMG]

Hit F1 once again and the PC loaded fine.

Thoughts?

ehjay, Apr 13, 2016
  5. If Windows isn't doing it, my guess is a failing motherboard, or maybe a failing hard drive? Just a guess though? Look for any bulged capacitors or any with brown goop on them. How old is this motherboard? If you have the BIOS quick boot enabled, try switching it off and see what happens.
    If it is Windows doing it, its a factory installed utility or something like that.

alphanumeric, Apr 13, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, researching the message gives a lot of results.
    E.g.
    Turn Off Intel® Boot Agent or Prevent It from Running
    How Intel® Boot Agent works
    The Intel® Boot Agent is software that allows your networked client computer to boot using an image on a remote server. PC vendors can implement the Intel Boot Agent to accommodate various environments and protocols. The BIOS inserts the Boot Agent into the list of boot devices. When the Boot Agent is ahead of any other bootable device in the list, it executes and tries to boot the computer over the network. To prevent the Boot Agent from executing, enter your systems BIOS configuration and find the boot device order settings. Move the boot agent down the list after the hard drive or the device you prefer to boot from.

Computer stuck at ? [Solved] - Windows XP - Windows XP
    That means it's trying to boot from the network card as there is a boot-over-lan thing that can be done. It usually comes up when the hard drive is dead or not present so it tries to like boot from floppy, usb, dvd, hard drive and then LAN.

Detailed stuff: (Click Agree)
    Terms of Public Use

dalchina, Apr 13, 2016
  7. Thinking about this some more, I would double check all you cables. SATA and power, to make sure they are all plugged in solidly. Maybe even swap the SATA cable on your main boot drive if you have a spare.

alphanumeric, Apr 13, 2016
  8. ehjay Win User

I'll check out all of the hard drives but I'm pretty sure they're spotless. No clue on the motherboard date. Like I said, this was a refurbished tower purchased from Staples. I never have any issues with refurbished products so no reason not to try this tower. I'll double check later in the day that I have quick boot turned off already. Pretty sure that there's no factory installed utility but again, I'll double check that as well.

I'll also see if I have any spare cables around.

ehjay, Apr 13, 2016
  9. ehjay Win User
    I'm almost certain I have attempted those already, but I will double check later today.

ehjay, Apr 13, 2016
  10. ehjay Win User
    Tried everything I can think of so my next step is to remove a hard one at a time to see if they are at fault. I will be giving up soon and just returning this tower if the issue continues.

ehjay, Apr 14, 2016
  11. I've encountered the same problem, but only *after* upgrading to Windows 10 pro 64-bit. Prior to that, I had 2 HP Compaq Elite 8000 SFF units running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, and *never* had this problem. I also never turn either of these units off; so it shouldn't be a battery issue; and one of them is actually on a UPS so even power flickers shouldn't disturb it. Both of them have displayed this symptom, though the one most frequently used seems to display it a bit more often.

BIOS is the latest available, 1.14. It was originally 1.13, but after encountering this problem I upgraded. No change.

While I don't know if these units were officially tested, I do know that Microsoft's Upgrade Assistant determined that the units are Windows 10 eligible and capable.

I've also noticed intermittent momentary "freezes" that have only started to occur post the Windows 10 upgrade. At that point, the disk activity indicator seems to be on solid.

There have also been 2 actual crashes. Neither of which recovered, nor output anything other than a blank "Black Screen of Death" from Windows itself.

Due to something else I found with Google, it would appear that the Windows 10 upgrade installs a SATA driver from 6/21/2006. If you look on HP's site for drivers for this unit, the latest one available there is from 2010. It's supposedly for Windows 7 and Windows 8, but allegedly most such drivers are also supposed to work with Windows 10. I've just upgraded to it, and if it solves or at least mitigates any of these problems I'll note that in this thread.

OrlandoNative, Aug 28, 2016
  12. I'm not going to say it's 100% definitive as yet, but so far after upgrading the AHCI SATA driver to the latest available for Windows 8 on the HP website, I haven't had any of the crashes or the configuration changed messages; and the mini "freezes" seem a occur less frequently and for shorter duration. So maybe.....

OrlandoNative, Aug 30, 2016
  13. Help please! ~The following configuration options were auto updated

Ok, it's been over a week now, with no repetition of the problem. So I would say it probably was the old, even possibly outdated, driver that came with Windows 10.

Based on previous experience, I should have experienced the problem at least twice since the time I updated the driver if the old driver hadn't been the culprit.

OrlandoNative, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Help please! ~The following configuration options were auto updated - Similar Threads - Help please ~The

2. THE FOLLOWING UPDATES WERE NOT INSTALLED KB5033371

in Windows 10 Gaming
    THE FOLLOWING UPDATES WERE NOT INSTALLED KB5033371: 1. The server build for our Windows Server 2019 Standard Edition is 17763.4974; however, upon reviewing the update history, we discovered that KB5032196 was installed, despite the server build version remaining unchanged.2. Now we can't install after the release JAN ,FEB...
  3. THE FOLLOWING UPDATES WERE NOT INSTALLED KB5033371

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    THE FOLLOWING UPDATES WERE NOT INSTALLED KB5033371: 1. The server build for our Windows Server 2019 Standard Edition is 17763.4974; however, upon reviewing the update history, we discovered that KB5032196 was installed, despite the server build version remaining unchanged.2. Now we can't install after the release JAN ,FEB...
  4. The following updates were not installed: Update For Windows KB3138612

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The following updates were not installed: Update For Windows KB3138612: Hi ThereToday Im Trying To Installing KB3138612, But After I Installing it, the page appearing and Say The Following Update Were Not Installed Is : Update For Windows KB3138612Im Trying To Finding The Solution On YouTube But I Think There Not Much People Making Tutorial Video...
  5. The following updates were not installed: Update For Windows KB3138612

The following updates were not installed: Update For Windows KB3138612: Hi ThereToday Im Trying To Installing KB3138612, But After I Installing it, the page appearing and Say The Following Update Were Not Installed Is : Update For Windows KB3138612Im Trying To Finding The Solution On YouTube But I Think There Not Much People Making Tutorial Video...
  6. can THIS FOLLOWING LINK be an option in future versions of Windows please?...

can THIS FOLLOWING LINK be an option in future versions of Windows please?...: can THIS FOLLOWING LINK be an option in future versions of Windows please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/newthread?threadtype=Questions&cancelurl=%2Fen-us%2Fpage%2FgettingstartedIs there a place to officially make suggestions? You know, someone to direct questions at?...
  7. can THIS FOLLOWING LINK be an option in future versions of Windows please?...

in Windows 10 Customization
    can THIS FOLLOWING LINK be an option in future versions of Windows please?...: can THIS FOLLOWING LINK be an option in future versions of Windows please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/newthread?threadtype=Questions&cancelurl=%2Fen-us%2Fpage%2FgettingstartedIs there a place to officially make suggestions? You know, someone to direct questions at?...
  8. can THIS FOLLOWING LINK be an option in future versions of Windows please?...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. The following updates were not installed: Security Update for Windows KB5005568

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The following updates were not installed: Security Update for Windows KB5005568: Trying to manually apply this update to an offline system running Windows 1809 LTSB and received this error. It happens with the previous month's cumulative update as well KB5005030. Event Log says it fails to update with error 0x80073712 Nothing seems to be working as far as...
  10. Auto-follow BkGnd with 20H2

in Windows 10 Customization
    Auto-follow BkGnd with 20H2: FYI: NOW, with 20H2... IF, wallpaper is changing, using a Theme or Slideshow AND Accent Colour is set to Auto-pick from background AND set to affect Start/ Taskbar/AC & or Title bars & Borders... then, everything will follow the changing hues in the wallpapers. Cheers, Drew...