Windows 10: Help please - Windows 10 Home dead/broken Start Menu Icons that can't be removed

Discus and support Help please - Windows 10 Home dead/broken Start Menu Icons that can't be removed in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm setting up a new computer. First thing I did was uninstall Microsoft crapware such as Candy Crush, Hidden City, March of Empires, Minecraft, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Stang75, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Stang75 Win User

Help please - Windows 10 Home dead/broken Start Menu Icons that can't be removed

I'm setting up a new computer.

First thing I did was uninstall Microsoft crapware such as Candy Crush, Hidden City, March of Empires, Minecraft, and so forth.

Next thing I did was update Windows to 1803.

Now I find start menu icons for these programs in my start menu. However, right clicking only gives me the option to "pin to start", and does NOT give me the option to uninstall. Left clicking on the icon does nothing.

I've tried:

- reinstalling the programs and uninstalling the programs. Doesn't fix it.

- running trouble shooting Window Store Apps. Doesn't find a problem and doesn't fix it.

- running sfc scannow. Doesn't find a problem and doesn't fix it.

Removing icons/tiles from the Start Menu shouldn't be so difficult.

I'm considering resetting Windows but I've installed a few other applications so I'm not that keen to do this.

Any advice is appreciated.

Regards,

Chris.

:)

Stang75, Sep 16, 2018
  2. Darknova Win User

Start menu default internet acces icon screwed?

You generally set that via the Start Menu settings (right-click start menu -> properties).

I had that issues a while ago, and it meant removing it from the Start Menu, and reinstalling my browser to get the icon back, it was very odd.

Darknova, Sep 16, 2018
  3. psyko12 Win User

@oil: That's what I did, but unfortunately it's different, it should be like "Internet" and should have the icon of FireFox.

So.. Remove the icon via Start menu properties, uninstall FF (again) and install?

psyko12, Sep 16, 2018
  4. Help please - Windows 10 Home dead/broken Start Menu Icons that can't be removed

Try removing that icon from the start menu, going to profram file folder for firefox, and doing "pin 2 start menu".

oli_ramsay, Sep 16, 2018
Thema:

Help please - Windows 10 Home dead/broken Start Menu Icons that can't be removed

1. Help please - Windows 10 Home dead/broken Start Menu Icons that can't be removed - Similar Threads - Help please Home

2. Start menu dead

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu dead: My windows Start menu doesn't open not on click not on keypress. When I click on the notification panel it instantly crashes same goes for the background apps tab in the privacy settings. The start menu troubleshooter app says "Microsoft.ShellExperienceHost" and...
  3. Broken icons in search of start menu.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Broken icons in search of start menu.: Hi all, I have an issue with the icons in the search of start. They look blank / broken, please see the screen shot. See the Weather app as an example: [ATTACH] This happened to all my machines, desktop and 2 laptops. On all devices I run Windows 10 Pro - 20H2. Do you...
  4. Windows 10 Home is broken. Help me, please.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Home is broken. Help me, please.: My windows 10 home is broken, unintentionally, I sent all my desktop files to E:/ , which is my laptop's second hard drive with a space of 1TB. I ran a scan on the drive and it came out as perfectly fine. Groove music says "This file was encoded in a unsupported format" for...
  5. Start menu icons completely broken

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu icons completely broken: [ATTACH] So this happened. Is this to do with the release of the new windows 10 version 2004 haven't updated just yet or is it something else bugging out?...
  6. Broken Icons in Start Menu (Windows 10)

Broken Icons in Start Menu (Windows 10): When i search in the start menu for an application the icon appears broken but when i locate it manually in the start menu its fine, has anyone else had this and fixed it? I've just tried Re-register_Start_Menu.bat i found else where in this forum [img] 164592
  7. Broken Icons in Start Menu (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 Support
    Broken Icons in Start Menu (Windows 10): When i search in the start menu for an application the icon appears broken but when i locate it manually in the start menu its fine, has anyone else had this and fixed it? I've just tried Re-register_Start_Menu.bat i found else where in this forum [img] 164592
  8. Broken icons start menu search

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Broken icons start menu search: [ATTACH] In the last 2 days I found this issue on my windows, not sure how many icons are affected but it looks really awful, it seem to be only on the search part of the start menu and to include most but not all the apps, what can I do to fix it? Thanks...
  9. Removing dead icons from Start menu All Apps

Removing dead icons from Start menu All Apps: After disabling and uninstalling Cortana, Edge and others as well as Search I ended up with 2 dead icons in the All apps menu one for Search and one for Edge. When I drag the Search icon to the desktop it's named as:...
  10. Windows 10 Start-Menu Icons broken ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start-Menu Icons broken ?: Hello community, I just installed Windows 10 and its nice and all, just that the icons in the start menu and the system settings for programs are broken. You dont know what I mean? This is a screenshot: Screenshot Hope you can help! *Smile Yours, Jerome 9486

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dead icons help