Windows 10: HELP PLS I accidentally turned my external hard drive into windows 10 installation disk

Discus and support HELP PLS I accidentally turned my external hard drive into windows 10 installation disk in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I very stupidly formatted a windows installation disk onto my Seagate 1TB external hard drive. I thought I was just innnocently saving a file It now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CurtisW2, Nov 13, 2018.

1. CurtisW2 Win User

HELP PLS I accidentally turned my external hard drive into windows 10 installation disk

I very stupidly formatted a windows installation disk onto my Seagate 1TB external hard drive. I thought I was just innnocently saving a file It now reads as ESB-USB 31GB max space and not the nearly 1TB max space I had on there before this incident for which most of that was data which has now vanished and apparently been replaced by just this installation drive and when I click on the drive now it just shows the reinstall disk details and none of my previous files.

Quite simply: is the data I lost recoverable? It worries me a lot the max space is now 31GB and not the 1TB previously so does that mean I lost all but 31GB? if it is recoverable? am hoping to speak with someone who perhaps had this issue and if they were able to get their lost data back. What did you use? please don't lecture me on the importance of backing up files I GET THAT I am more frantic about getting the files back right now to care about what I should had done.

Is there a good free/not free program that can recover files in instances like this? or is it a case of sending it to a data recovery shop which could put me a few hundred out of pocket HELP PLS I accidentally turned my external hard drive into windows 10 installation disk :( thanks.

:)

CurtisW2, Nov 13, 2018

2. Help with external hard drive

Hi Debbra,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to plug in hard drive then check in disk management you can see the drive or not.

Follow the steps to check Drive in Disk Management.

• Go to the Control Panel then click on the
      Administrative Tools. .

• Under the Administrative Tool Click on Computer Management.

• Click on Disk Management and check the External Hard Drive.

Also check in BIOS whether External Hard Drive is listed or not.

For help with the BIOS settings, refer to the computer manual or contact the manufacturer.

If it doesn’t work then, I would suggest you to update BIOS for updating BIOS contact Lenovo Support.

Follow the link:

Home - Global Support - FR

Disclaimer :

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Nov 13, 2018
  3. Marco Gav Win User
    unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Nov 13, 2018
  4. twynog Win User

HELP PLS I accidentally turned my external hard drive into windows 10 installation disk

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Nov 13, 2018
Thema:

1. HELP PLS I accidentally turned my external hard drive into windows 10 installation disk - Similar Threads - HELP PLS accidentally

2. Windows 10 recognises my external Hard Drive as a Local Disk.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 recognises my external Hard Drive as a Local Disk.: I've been having an issue the past few weeks where windows will pick up my external 2TB Seagate HDD as a Local Disk rather than a removable drive. All the files seem to still be accessible and none appear to be corrupted but its causing a few small and very annoying problems....
  3. External Hard drive Accidentally changed to Disk Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard drive Accidentally changed to Disk Partition: A day or go I got a pop up on my windows pc that asked me what I wanted to do with the storage on an external hard drive I was using. I clicked on an option that seemed to be the one where it would keep the hard drive as is but now it wont appear under devices and drives. It...
  4. External Hard drive Accidentally changed to Disk Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard drive Accidentally changed to Disk Partition: A day or go I got a pop up on my windows pc that asked me what I wanted to do with the storage on an external hard drive I was using. I clicked on an option that seemed to be the one where it would keep the hard drive as is but now it wont appear under devices and drives. It...
  5. External Hard drive Accidentally changed to Disk Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. External Hardisk or external Hard Drive Turned To Local Disk And Not Accessible

External Hardisk or external Hard Drive Turned To Local Disk And Not Accessible: i hope someone can help my problem i have try to change letter but nothing change. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hardisk-or-external-hard-drive-turned-to/e394703e-e313-471d-841f-fa8977cb6884
  7. External drive strange behaviorin Windows 10, pls help?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External drive strange behaviorin Windows 10, pls help?: I had an old 500GB SATA3 drive, bought an USB3.0 enclosure/adapter and used as an external NTFS drive. My main rig uses a MSI B450 Gaming Plus mobo. I had no problem until recently, when I plugged this drive into the usb 3.1 gen1 port on the mobo - the hdd shows up only as...
  8. External Hard Drive Turned To Local Disk And Not Accessible

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Drive Turned To Local Disk And Not Accessible: Hi, My 4TB External Hard Drive was working well while I transfer files, sorry for my language ı am not native, And I wanted to change the speed because it was low as 35mb/ps and ı read that under policies segment there is another option for "better performance". And After I...
  9. Help with external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with external hard drive: So my PC was running out of storage, so i got an external hard-drive. The problem is, now, I want to play a game stored to it, but it's an old model, and takes up a lot of space. How can I quickly move windows store games from my hard drive to my PC and vice versa. Thank you!...
  10. External Hard drive disk

External Hard drive disk: Shown as access denied. Location unavailable[IMG] Cannot open my Seagate external HARD drive disk of 1.5TB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-disk/d12073f2-eb0d-4add-bfb1-2f9e4cff21de

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i accidnelty turned my mabookc into windowws

2. i accidentally turned my harddrive into a iso usb