Windows 10: (HELP!) Problem with LAN file sharing/transfer

Discus and support (HELP!) Problem with LAN file sharing/transfer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two PC's running Windows 10. One of them is my main computer used for browsing, gaming w/e, and the other one is basically a storage unit where... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tampepunch, Dec 5, 2019.

1. (HELP!) Problem with LAN file sharing/transfer

I have two PC's running Windows 10. One of them is my main computer used for browsing, gaming w/e, and the other one is basically a storage unit where I keep all big files and folders such as a movie collection of about 1.7tb and so on and so forth.

Now, both these PC's are connected to a router (both connected to the same router) via WiFi for internet connectivity, and both of them are also connected via ethernet through a desktop switch meant for transferring files (since transferring via WiFi gives about 8mbps whilst ethernet gives about 110mbps (when it's working)). However, if I set everything up so that I can (from my main computer) see the, let's just call it storage PC, in File Explorer - Network, if I try and transfer any files the transfer defaults to go through the WiFi connection via the router, no matter what I do. I've changed the network metrics to prefer the ethernet connection, I've disabled WiFi (when I do this I can't even see the storage PC in File Explorer - Network. And IF it shows up, I cant access it anyway, not even by pinging or by IP), I've tried just about everything.

The only time it actually uses the ethernet adapter for transfers though, is if I, on the main PC, bridge the WiFi and ethernet adapter. However, this screws up the internet connectivity on the main PC.

I've searched for many, many hours online for a solution, only to come up empty handed. I beg of you, the community, HELP. Just... Anything. Any pointers to where to start looking or new ideas is greatly appreciated.

:)

Tampepunch, Dec 5, 2019
  2. mendopaul Win User

"Permissions" problems: can't share files on home LAN computers

I've got a LAN in my home/office with 5 machines now running Win 10 and I've not been able to transfer files between them due to "permission problems". These were all running Win 7 and sharing files with no problems but now I'm blocked. I've made every "advanced" change I can think of to networking and sharing screens and to firewall screens. The machines can see each other in File Explorer but "access denied" on transferring anything but vanilla homegroup folders. Anybody got some insights on "permissions" to share? I sure need help. Many thanks!

mendopaul, Dec 5, 2019
  3. rss81 Win User
    transfer files between computers on a home network

I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected wirelessly.

Could some one provide either specific step by step instructions on how to do this (I googled and found a countless list of instructions that don't work)

or a link to a reference.

Thanks,

I don't know if this is possible but it would be nice to see the computer sending the desired file in the explorer file manager of the computer receiving the desired file and then under the computer see a list
    of shared files and folders.

Again, this seems like such a reasonable way of sharing files and folders. Shouldn't there be a simple way to do this?

rss81, Dec 5, 2019
  4. Clement Win User

(HELP!) Problem with LAN file sharing/transfer

Lan File Transfer

Have you gone over the entire config file for the FTP server you are running? 5mbps is low even for a 100mb line...Something is limiting the speed obviously...(Perhaps your machines storage system isn't fast enough?)

Can you post your ftp server configuration file here please?

IMHO the problem lies in either the configuration for your FTP server, or your FTP client.
    If none of those options suffice, you could always try a different FTP server to determine where the problem is.
    What client and server are you using? (Even if you could download multiple files with the client, I don't think* with your current setup it would be any faster - because of the root of the problem)

Clement, Dec 5, 2019
Thema:

(HELP!) Problem with LAN file sharing/transfer

1. (HELP!) Problem with LAN file sharing/transfer - Similar Threads - HELP Problem LAN

2. LAN file sharing too slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LAN file sharing too slow: The problem is very old i found reports from 10+ years, with hundreds of "copypaste" and generic anwers from microsoft over several websites and this forum, why no one ever cared enough to fix this, or at least tried to look into it?!?!Comparing a large file 20GB...
  3. LAN file sharing too slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    LAN file sharing too slow: The problem is very old i found reports from 10+ years, with hundreds of "copypaste" and generic anwers from microsoft over several websites and this forum, why no one ever cared enough to fix this, or at least tried to look into it?!?!Comparing a large file 20GB...
  4. LAN file sharing too slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. File sharing on LAN suddenly stopped

File sharing on LAN suddenly stopped: My two desktops on the same LAN, connected to the same router, suddenly stopped being able to share files. It was working just a few days ago. Let's day, the desktops are "A" and "B", and the router name is "R" Both pc sees two media devices, Computer "A" and Router "R",...
  6. Real-time protection seems to cause issues with file transfer over LAN to shared drive.

Real-time protection seems to cause issues with file transfer over LAN to shared drive.: Hi All, I have a pendrive connected to my router USB port that I use to share files with another computer on my home LAN. Specifically, I record on computer A mp3 files dictation files that I copy to the shared drive and then access over the LAN from computer B....
  7. file sharing, file transfer

file sharing, file transfer: How to I transfer my files from my windows 10 to a macbook air 2018. I have tried one drive and drop box but it says i have no space even though i have deleted everything except these files. i have also tried icloud drive and even though i bought more space it still says i...
  8. File sharing over LAN

File sharing over LAN: I am wondering if it is possible to share files over the LAN for specific users on 2 computers in my network? I can't seem to do what I need to do. Anyhow, this is the setup: 2 Windows 10 computers connected by ethernet cables to the same modem / router. (I am at home and...
  9. LAN file sharing

LAN file sharing: I want to file share between my desktop computer, which has an ethernet connection to the router and my laptop which is connected by wifi. The desktop connection is called N***** 6 and the wifi network is called B*********R. The laptop can't "see" the desktop and vice versa....
  10. "Permissions" problems: can't share files on home LAN computers

"Permissions" problems: can't share files on home LAN computers: I've got a LAN in my home/office with 5 machines now running Win 10 and I've not been able to transfer files between them due to "permission problems". These were all running Win 7 and sharing files with no problems but now I'm blocked. I've made every "advanced" change I can...