Windows 10: Help! Recover SSD contents after system restore?

Discus and support Help! Recover SSD contents after system restore? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey all! Not sure if this is the best spot on reddit to post this, but I figured it would be worth a shot! I fear I've made a terrible mistake and I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/nmntlhygn, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Help! Recover SSD contents after system restore?

Hey all! Not sure if this is the best spot on reddit to post this, but I figured it would be worth a shot!

I fear I've made a terrible mistake and I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me...

After doing a simple restart to install the latest Nvidia drivers, I was met with a blue screen and the following message "Your pc couldn't start properly. After multiple tries, the operating system on your pc failed to start, so it needs to be repaired."

I attempted to repair to no avail and the only alternative it presented was to try to restore windows via USB. Luckily I still have the boot USB that came with my PC so I went ahead with it (naively assuming that windows was just going to 'fix' the problem and not realising that by 'restore', it meant full system restore...).

I was shocked to see my computer boot-up clean, having seemingly wiped everything. When it started up, I was somewhat relieved to see that my SSD still appears to be full but upon opening it, I'm unable to view 99% of its contents. Weirdly I can access the contents of my desktop and downloads folders but the rest of them seem to be missing.

So here's the big question - is there any way to salvage the rest of the contents? If so, can anybody tell me what steps I will need to take? Would you advise paying for some professional advice or might I be able to fix this on my own? Right now I'm nervous to even restart in case I do any more damage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

TL;DR: Accidentally did a full system restore and want to try and recover the contents of my internal SSD (which still appears to be full).

submitted by /u/nmntlhygn
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/nmntlhygn, Nov 17, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

System Restore does not work

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you receive an error, ‘0x8007045b’ when trying to do a System Restore. I’ll certainly assist you with this.

However, please let us know:

• Are you aware of any changes made to the computer prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article

System Restore may fail with error code 0x8007045b if there is encrypted content in the restore point
    and see if that helps.

Note: The above mentioned article is for Windows 8/8.1, however, holds good for Windows 10.

Let us know the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Nov 17, 2020
  3. System Restore does not work

It 's fixed now, I tried the sfc /scannow command, some files were corrupted and Windows fixed them thanks for your help!

Bhavya Dua, Nov 17, 2020
  4. Clark Ari Win User

Help! Recover SSD contents after system restore?

System Restore - System restore failed to extract the file ...... (0x8007005) error

Hi Loucille,

One of the possible reasons why the error code 0x8007005 occurs when performing system restore is due to corrupted system files that caused software conflicts. Since you have tried several steps to resolve the issue, we recommend that you
    perform a System Restore in safe mode. To boot your device in
    safe mode kindly click on this link. This will start Windows in a basic state, using a limited
    set of files and drivers.

Once done, we suggest that you perform a system restore after booting in safe mode. System Restore will be able to revert your PC or laptop to their previous state, which can be used to repair and recover system malfunctions or issues. Restoring won’t affect
    your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Right-click the Start button, and then select Control Panel.
    • Search Control Panel for Recovery.
    • Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
    • Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish.

If in case that the issue persists, we suggest that you run the System File Checker tool. This will be able
    to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore it. We also suggest that you run the DISM command to repair the Windows image on your system. Follow the steps provided
    on this link for the complete guide on how to use
    the tool.

Please post back with the result.

Clark Ari, Nov 17, 2020
Thema:

Help! Recover SSD contents after system restore?

1. Help! Recover SSD contents after system restore? - Similar Threads - Help Recover SSD

2. Help with system restore!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help with system restore!: Hi, so I was wondering how long system restore will take and if you could read through my story. so I wasn't sure why my pc has been playing up, but when I started up the pc would take a long time to show the login page and long time to put in pin, Once in would be slow to...
  3. Help with system restore!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help with system restore!: Hi, so I was wondering how long system restore will take and if you could read through my story. so I wasn't sure why my pc has been playing up, but when I started up the pc would take a long time to show the login page and long time to put in pin, Once in would be slow to...
  4. Restore data on a secondary SSD after system recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore data on a secondary SSD after system recovery: My laptop has two internal disks, one M.2 SSD for the OS and a SSD Sata for the raw data.I wanted to upgrade my primary disk type M.2 SSD, so I created a recovery unit and then replaced the old M.2 SSD by a new one.Everything was fine while recovering the system from the...
  5. Restore data on a secondary SSD after system recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore data on a secondary SSD after system recovery: My laptop has two internal disks, one M.2 SSD for the OS and a SSD Sata for the raw data.I wanted to upgrade my primary disk type M.2 SSD, so I created a recovery unit and then replaced the old M.2 SSD by a new one.Everything was fine while recovering the system from the...
  6. Restore data on a secondary SSD after system recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. HELP!!!! I need to recover data from lost partition after using system restore.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HELP!!!! I need to recover data from lost partition after using system restore.: I am using a Surface Book 2. Recently, some problems occurred and I had to use the Surface recovery image from this link, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/creating-and-using-a-usb-recovery-drive-for-surface-677852e2-ed34-45cb-40ef-398fc7d62c07. I didn't notice that...
  8. Restoring System Image Backup after RAM/SSD changes?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring System Image Backup after RAM/SSD changes?: Sorry if this is a dumb question. Would RAM/SSD changes made after creating the backup (in my case, 8GB-> 2x8GB, added a second SSD) cause issues when restoring from a system image backup? submitted by /u/user531800869420 [link] [comments]...
  9. SSD Storage gone after using a system restore image

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD Storage gone after using a system restore image: Hi guys, Yesterday I reinstalled Windows 10 onto my new 1TB SSD after a few months of not having it. After installing I decided to use my system restore image so i can get all files and apps back. Once that was completed, I noticed that i got a notification saying that...
  10. System Restore and SSD?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore and SSD?: Hey guys, I recently installed an SSD and I found out while running Samsung's OS Optimization disk that it has turned off System Restore by default. I of course can turn it back on, but I wanted to get feedback on turning on System Restore on an solid state drive....