Windows 10: Help removing 'Open With...' context menu item (Specifically, Firefox)

Discus and support Help removing 'Open With...' context menu item (Specifically, Firefox) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; After an attempt a few months ago, I jumped back to Firefox and then immediately remembered what prevented me from staying before. It is now showing in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/hornakapopolis, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Help removing 'Open With...' context menu item (Specifically, Firefox)

After an attempt a few months ago, I jumped back to Firefox and then immediately remembered what prevented me from staying before. It is now showing in my context menu under 'Open With...' for PDFs. I use two programs to open PDFs, the secondary also starting with 'F,' so being a big keyboard fan, a quick right-click, 'H,' 'F' would open it my secondary program. Now that Firefox is in there, it's disrupted my flow... yes, terrible problem. The world is probably going to end.

It is really annoying, though, and I'd love to get rid of it.

I've removed firefox.exe from HCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExt\.pdf\OpenWithList (and it doesn't appear anywhere else under the .pdf entry.) I also looked in the same place under Local_Machine, but it doesn't exist. (I don't know if it's important, but my secondary program is the first letter in the MRUList entry, but Firefox appears before it in my context menu. But, I don't think that refers to the context menu, does it?)

Someone recommended ShellExView & ShellMenuView and I could not find it in either of those. (I don't think I could find the 'OpenWith...' context menu option in one or both, either. Can't find it now in either, for sure, but looked harder a few months ago.)

I got another recommendation for Yamicsoft's Windows 10 Manager and while I found it there and deleted it, it's still in the menu.

I've done all the above multiple times with and without reboots in between, re-installs, uninstalls, etc.

I spent a lot more time on this a few months ago, but now just want it out of my menu. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

submitted by /u/hornakapopolis
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/hornakapopolis, Mar 1, 2021

2. Add or Remove Start Context menu items

Nyima,

I was not asking about adding and removing regular app items to the start menu, but rather adding or removing items from the Context Menu (Win+X). Specifically, I would like to add the Devices and Printers item to the list.

Thank you for the response.

Crazy IT Dude, Mar 1, 2021
  3. mades Win User
    How to remove item from Context Menu (after app removed)

It's not in the open with context menu (tried the steps from the link just to see, but no it's not in there). The app from the context menu is in the first layer, the one when you right click on an item and you have "scan with..." or "edit with notepad++" etc.

mades, Mar 1, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

Help removing 'Open With...' context menu item (Specifically, Firefox)

Modify Title of Context Menu Item

This is curiously difficult. No one utility seems to offer a complete list of context menu entries as far as I know.

For example, using Shellmenuview, you can access the relevant entry in Regedit. For some it appears to offer the ability to change that text:

Help removing 'Open With...' context menu item (Specifically, Firefox) [​IMG]

That's an installed program.

For others, it doesn't.

(That's a default Windows program....).

Note too the text appears in multiple places where the program is associated with multiple extensions.

The venerable ContextMenuEdit allows you to edit the text, but again, this is non-trivial- consider here the extension list supported by vlc player, undifferentiated in the left column:

To be consistent, each one would have to be edited- then if you changed player, all that would be lost.

Basically this, I suggest, is not worth pursuing except in very specific cases should there be a real need.

Considering the impact of upgrading, changes to installed program context menu entries should not be affected. Changes to Windows default entries- if that's even feasible, which I doubt, as I believe the text isn't in the registry, would be restored to default.

dalchina, Mar 1, 2021
Thema:

Help removing 'Open With...' context menu item (Specifically, Firefox)

1. Help removing 'Open With...' context menu item (Specifically, Firefox) - Similar Threads - Help removing 'Open

2. Is it Possible to Remove Context Menu Items for Specific Users via Registry / Group Policy?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it Possible to Remove Context Menu Items for Specific Users via Registry / Group Policy?: Hi everyone,I am currently in the process of setting up a child's computer, and I have an administrator account on there, along with the child's account which is a Standard account with Microsoft Family Safety enabled. The machine is running Windows 11 Pro x64I already have a...
  3. Is it Possible to Remove Context Menu Items for Specific Users via Regsitry / Group Policy?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it Possible to Remove Context Menu Items for Specific Users via Regsitry / Group Policy?: Hi everyone,I am currently in the process of setting up a child's computer, and I have an administrator account on there, along with the child's account which is a Standard account with Microsoft Family Safety enabled. The machine is running Windows 11 Pro x64I already have a...
  4. Remove some context menu items for folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove some context menu items for folders: So I download qttabbar, decided I didn't like it, so I uninstalled it. But it left these items in the folder context menu. Is there a program I can install or a .bat file or something? These menu items are a eyesore, and they don't do anything....
  5. Remove some context menu items for folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove some context menu items for folders: So I download qttabbar, decided I didn't like it, so I uninstalled it. But it left these items in the folder context menu. Is there a program I can install or a .bat file or something? These menu items are a eyesore, and they don't do anything....
  6. Missing items in context menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing items in context menu: I've noticed that when ever I right click on my Desktop: no longer have nvidia control panel as an option Files: no winrar options like add to archive Certain games: no locale emulator -> run in Japanese There's most likely other stuff missing from context menu too I just...
  7. Open with context menu – remove Visual Studio items

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Open with context menu – remove Visual Studio items: I want to remove Visual Studio options of open with context menu for .xml and.html file types but under registry keys HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html\OpenWithProgids HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml\OpenWithProgids HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xmlfile are no relevant...
  8. How to remove context menu items from shell?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove context menu items from shell?: I want to remove the following three items only (marked with red x). [img] 115171
  9. Add or Remove Items in Send To context menu in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Items in Send To context menu in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Items in Send To context menu in Windows How to Add or Remove Items in Send To context menu in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 You will see the Send to context menu when you right click on a file or folder in Windows. The Send to context...
  10. Arranging Context Menu Items.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Arranging Context Menu Items.: I spent yesterday fiddling with my context menu (Right-Click Menu). I downloaded and installed nearly a dozen different apps/programs. I settled on a couple and went to work adding commands. Here's the problem: Once the items show up in the Context/Right Click menu, there's...