Windows 10: Help Repairing WIN10 after Updates, Repair won't Work

Discus and support Help Repairing WIN10 after Updates, Repair won't Work in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, My Dell laptop w/ WIN10 is unable to repair itself after updates and a failed system restore. The Dell came with WIN10 and is a year plus old.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Csal70, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Csal70 Win User

Help Repairing WIN10 after Updates, Repair won't Work

Hi all,

My Dell laptop w/ WIN10 is unable to repair itself after updates and a failed system restore. The Dell came with WIN10 and is a year plus old.

The questions first, and then explanations for what I've tried. Note I only have access to the Repair Screen, or to Command Prompts.

1 What Command Prompts or Tools do I need to get WIN10 to run Repairs, when the Repair is not working?

2 What Command Prompts or Tools do I need to save/transfer my files from an otherwise inaccessible C drive?

I ran WIN10 updates not sure which one, but most recent on 08MAR.

Bluetooth disappeared from WIN10. It was still in the resources, and I set it to Autostart, but that didn't fix it. Then I ran System Restore from a file on 28FEB.

System Restore was quickly doing it's thing, then hung up on on "restoring registry files," and hung there for the next 11 hours.

So the next morning, I powered off and back on again.

I get the Dell startup screen, then PC needs Repairs, then Making Repairs, then unable to repair, with various issues to get through.

Since that time, I've had to use Command Prompt to do the following:

• Unlock the Bitlocker and then Disable the Bitlocker for restart to get to the other Repair commands.
    • I ran a chkdsk on "C", which reports No errors.

I've run through All the Repair options, including:

• _Uninstall updates, says it can't do it.
    • _run Reset with Keep Files, which tells me something went wrong and try again in Advanced Settings.
    • _Enter Startup Settings so I could select start in Safe Mode with Command prompt - but when I select any of the Startup settings, it restarts and takes me back to the main repair screen.
    • _create USB of ISO WIN10, which would run at first, then I clicked on the "Repair this Computer", and it takes me back to the main blue repair screen asking which options I want to use. It does Not take me to the menu allowing me to select options to "Keep Files or Apps", and doesn't take me to any menu at all. Just back to the WIN10 repair start screen where I'm stuck.

Running a clean install or factory reset is not an option as this is a work/personal laptop, but if I have to clean install, then I need directions how to access my files and Save them.

I have considered trying more Command Prompts to cut out the Repair Computer Loop I seem to be in, and see if I can get something else to work?

I am open to suggestions, aka, omg please help.

Thanks!

:)

Csal70, Mar 9, 2020
  2. phill Win User

Picture header repair... Help please!!

Hi everyone... I'm indeed of some help and or advice....

I've a load of picture files (JPG I think mostly, might be some others in there....) that have a problem when loading which is can't find the header.. I normally use IrfanView to view my pictures and it's not showing any of these at all.. I deleted a load of files that I didn't think I needed from a backup drive, then realised, well it was too late then.. More so for me these where of my daughter when she was little, so if I can find a way to repair the files, I'd do whatever I can to do that *Smile Help Repairing WIN10 after Updates, Repair won't Work :)

The question therefore is, does anyone have a program that they use for repairing picture files at all?? I've tried a few of these 'we repair any files.com' programs but they all have been less than helpful and completely useless.. I'll grab a list of them when I next get on my main PC as that's were the files are stored...

Many thanks in advance to anyone who replies with suggestions or advice *Smile Help Repairing WIN10 after Updates, Repair won't Work :)

phill, Mar 9, 2020
  3. erocker Win User
    erocker, Mar 9, 2020
  4. KTR
    ktr Win User

Windows updates won't install!

I had the same problem when i repaired my O/S, i forgot the steps on how to fixed it, but it is in the microsoft support forum.

You have to reinstall the windows updater, then restart the updating service.

edit: Found it...http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Thema:

1. Help Repairing WIN10 after Updates, Repair won't Work - Similar Threads - Help Repairing WIN10

2. Automatic repair won't help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic repair won't help: Yesterday when I turned the computer on I got a blue screen and it went to an "automatic repair" page. I have went through all of the options available shut down, troubleshoot, reset the pc, system restore, system recovery, startup repair, etc and nothing is working. Every...
  3. Automatic repair won't help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic repair won't help: Yesterday when I turned the computer on I got a blue screen and it went to an "automatic repair" page. I have went through all of the options available shut down, troubleshoot, reset the pc, system restore, system recovery, startup repair, etc and nothing is working. Every...
  4. Automatic repair won't help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Microsoft Store Won't Open After Reset and Repair: Need Help

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store Won't Open After Reset and Repair: Need Help: Here's my problem: Initially, I couldn't download anything from the Microsoft Store. To fix this, I decided to reset and repair the Microsoft Store. However, this has led to an even more troublesome situation. Now, the Microsoft Store won't even open. It's stuck on the...
  6. Automatic repair won't repair

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Automatic repair won't repair: Hi my laptop keeps going to the automatic repair page. I have tried the bootrec.exe commands on command prompt and the chdsk /r c too. I have tried to restart my laptop and have read all the other solutions from other people who have asked questions about the same thing. When...
  7. Win10 PC won't boot - stuck at "Automatic Repair couldn't repair"

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 PC won't boot - stuck at "Automatic Repair couldn't repair": Hey, I was on vacation for 2 months, and when I came back my PC won't boot. The other users of the PC reported multiple update attemps and power shutdowns, but can't seem to remember if this was the cause of the Issue. Attempts to repair has failed. This is the screen I see...
  8. win10 repair disc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10 repair disc: How to make a win10 repair disc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10-repair-disc/e698be65-1bdd-4a35-9e38-fbc464eebe3f
  9. Windows won't start/Startup repair won't work

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows won't start/Startup repair won't work: I've been having issues for awhile, but it normally snaps out of it or repair works, but this time... The other day, I restarted my computer and now it goes straight to Startup Repair and then tells me autorepair can't help. I burnt the repair disc that Microsoft put out...
  10. Automatic repair couldnt repair your PC (Repair screen win10)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Automatic repair couldnt repair your PC (Repair screen win10): Hello My pc is :C440 Touch All-in-One (Lenovo) Operating system : Windows 10 I can't run my PC, every time i try to run it shows me blue screen wrote on it " Automatic repair couldn't repair your PC Press " Advanced options" to try other options to repair...