Windows 10: Help Repurposing old Dell Laptop

Discus and support Help Repurposing old Dell Laptop in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I'll begin by saying this is an odd post lol. I've been doing some cleaning and came upon my old Dell Studio laptop. Purchased in 2010 for college,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Enloeeagle, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Help Repurposing old Dell Laptop

So I'll begin by saying this is an odd post lol.

I've been doing some cleaning and came upon my old Dell Studio laptop. Purchased in 2010 for college, switched to a MBP a few laters because the Dell was nothing but trouble for me.

Rather than throw out a still-functioning laptop, I figured I'd try making it into my "desktop" computer instead by connecting it to my monitor via HDMI. But it's in bad shape. The screen/LCD panel is disconnected from the body on the left side, and close to disconnecting on the right side. When I boot up, everything starts fine and shows up on the monitor. But there's an ungodly series of beeping noise that doesn't stop. There are 8 beeps every time - and according to the Internet, that's a "missing LCD connection" error. Which makes sense.

My question is - how do I bypass the beeping and make it stop? Or is that not possible?

submitted by /u/Enloeeagle
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Enloeeagle, Mar 2, 2021
  2. kiddagoat Win User

Repurposing Laptop

In my specs I have listed my Sager NP8690/Clevo WU860 laptop. It is getting to be 7 years old now and I am noticing since I cannot upgrade the graphics card, it is struggling to handle the newer games coming out. I can play Source based games just fine but anything newer like Rainbow Six: Siege or Heroes of the Storm, it just isn't as capable as it once was. I was wanting to get some suggestions about what to do with the laptop as it works just fine.

I am looking to get a new Sager soon so I will be transferring the Windows license over to it. I was thinking about putting some flavor of Linux on this laptop and make it a multi-purpose unit of sorts. Possibly connect one of those 6-8 drive bay enclosures as it has USB 3.0 and make it a file server for media and Acronis backups.

Seeing as how the CPU and RAM are pretty beefy, I was also thinking about making this box a game server or sorts, I am sure I could spin up a few VMs for Source, Unreal, or other dedicated game servers.

Just need some feedback and ideas. This laptop is awesome and would hate to see it go to waste.

kiddagoat, Mar 2, 2021
  3. Namslas90 Win User
    HELP! My Laptop has gone into SLOW MOTION!

Should be able to get a "step-by-step here;

http://support.dell.com/?~ck=mn

Namslas90, Mar 2, 2021
  4. Kursah Win User

Help Repurposing old Dell Laptop

Repurposing Laptop

I've repurposed laptops for several things, small file servers, cheap Plex servers, OpenVPN servers, small Server 2012R2 labs (usually running Win8.1/2012R2 as host, and then several VM's), Linux machines/servers, Minecraft servers, etc.

I recently retired an old laptop on a site running as a DC for a cheap-ass lawyer...funny that they charge $400/hr but "can't afford" to purchase actual server hardware and squawk when their $300 solution burns up with no backups.

Whatever you do, I would treat it as something that could be a loss at any given time...at the same time it is kinda fun to see what you can get working on a laptop. I'd recommend playing with Linux as well...Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, Fedora is where I'd start.

You could add a USB3 NIC (edit: or learn VLANs and use the single NIC if that's what your laptop has built in) and make it a pfSense router/firewall, you could do any number of things really....not the right tool for the job though, so ymmv. Whatever you do, have some fun with it! *Toast :toast:

Kursah, Mar 2, 2021
Thema:

Help Repurposing old Dell Laptop

1. Help Repurposing old Dell Laptop - Similar Threads - Help Repurposing old

2. OLD DELL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OLD DELL: HiWhat is causing a white haze cloud over a website when i search computer freezes up also then clears after a while?anther question sometimes i click some ones name for email and a different mail opens up its my account but a different area?Thank youTIMMY 2 TOES...
  3. OLD DELL

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OLD DELL: HiWhat is causing a white haze cloud over a website when i search computer freezes up also then clears after a while?anther question sometimes i click some ones name for email and a different mail opens up its my account but a different area?Thank youTIMMY 2 TOES...
  4. OLD DELL

OLD DELL: HiWhat causes it when i have 3 websites open at the same time reading one of them then all of a sudden they all close at ounce, is it my HDthank youTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-dell/8f9d5ffc-e1ff-4882-be4c-c9d4964e4ec9
  5. OLD DELL

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    OLD DELL: HiWhat causes it when i have 3 websites open at the same time reading one of them then all of a sudden they all close at ounce, is it my HDthank youTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-dell/8f9d5ffc-e1ff-4882-be4c-c9d4964e4ec9
  6. Repurposing an Old Mac Monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Repurposing an Old Mac Monitor: I recently received an old Mac monitor for free (photos included). I was wondering how I can connect it to my LG gram 15 laptop to use it as a second monitor. I tried plugging in the USB to my laptop but it didn't work. If anyone has any experience with these kinds of...
  7. Repurposing and old Disk Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Repurposing and old Disk Drive: I need to reformat and old an old disk disk drive. It will only be used to store pictures, videos and music and will not be needed for booting the computer.This is a 1 T byte drive and now has a three partitions. I installed this drive in an external hard case. I tried using...
  8. Repurposing and old Disk Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repurposing and old Disk Drive: I need to reformat and old an old disk disk drive. It will only be used to store pictures, videos and music and will not be needed for booting the computer.This is a 1 T byte drive and now has a three partitions. I installed this drive in an external hard case. I tried using...
  9. Repurposing and old Disk Drive

10. Repurposing WWAN Slot on Lenovo X280 Laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Repurposing WWAN Slot on Lenovo X280 Laptop: Warning: This is a "Does Anybody Know?" question. I've been looking for this info everywhere and can't find it anywhere. Here goes: I'm thinking seriously about buying a Lenovo ThinkPad X280 laptop. I've got a predecessor model, the X220 Tablet and it's been a great, great...