Windows 10: help required to delete the extra recovery partition

Discus and support help required to delete the extra recovery partition in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had purchased an HP laptop that came with windows 8. This was upgraded online to v 8.1 and then to windows 10 and subsequently to the feature updates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by perfection, Aug 12, 2018.

1. help required to delete the extra recovery partition

I had purchased an HP laptop that came with windows 8. This was upgraded online to v 8.1 and then to windows 10 and subsequently to the feature updates of Windows 10.

When checking (yesterday) with disk management I found there were three recovery partitions apart from the three disk storage partitions that i work with and one more for the UEFI tools.

I have deleted the HP OEM recovery partition as that facility was built into the HP recovery manager options and I would probably never be returning to a win 8 installation. By default the space freed up was added to my last partition automatically

I need to help to delete the other partition(s) after being sure that my recovery environment tools and winre.wim file is safe and usuable.

One question here: If I can boot into the windows recovery environment does it means that my winre.wim file is usuable and safe?

This is what disk management in windows shows (I have only one disk)

help required to delete the extra recovery partition [​IMG]

This is what diskpart command in admin run Powershell shows as the list of partitions

As you can see there is one more 128 MB partion seen (named Reserved) in diskpart and not seen in windows disk management

reagentc /info points the location of the recovery file to the disk0 partition4 i.e. the system partition disk (C drive) where the OS is installed.
    Is this possible?
    I always thought the winRe file and the recovery environment resides on an adjacent partition

Please help me to decide whether I can delete the other two partitions named recovery?

Also what is that 128MB partition (no 3) just before the system partition?

I am changing to an SSD disk and wish to know which partitions to image and restore to the new SSD drive

Thank you very much for guidance and answers on these issues. I am reasonable familiar with PCs and software but not a genius!

:)

perfection, Aug 12, 2018
  2. Melvis Win User

How to recover files off a HDD from a deleted partition? help!!!

Thanks for your reply. I used my m8s program and it worked like a dream, recovered all the files and also deleted ones from yrs back, was amazed how well it did. Next step is i will use that Partition Table Doctor to recover the deleted partition. Thanks for the link *Toast :toast:

Melvis, Aug 12, 2018
  3. trickson Win User
    Will deleting the factory partition render the recovery disk useless?

More than likely it is of no use NOW . The recovery disk is nothing more than drivers and some BS . You will not get the OS and recovering from a recovery disk only works if the drive partition is fine and has been untouched by any one .
    The best thing to do is delete all the partitions and just install windows on the HDD make your own recovery disk and your done not to mention you get all that drive space back .

trickson, Aug 12, 2018
  4. help required to delete the extra recovery partition

How to delete the partition after creating a recovery drive on Windows 10?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about deleting the recovery partition after creating a recovery drive. We will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps to delete the recovery partition from Command Prompt and check if it helps.

I suggest you to log-in as an administrator with Microsoft account, try the below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X keys from the keyboard, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin)
    • Type: diskpart
    • At the DISKPART prompt, type: list disk (Make note of the disk number of the disk from which you want to delete the partition.)
    • At the DISKPART prompt, type: select diskn (Select the disk
      n from which you want to delete the partition.)
    • At the DISKPART prompt, type: list partition (Make note of the number of the partition that you want to delete.)
    • At the DISKPART prompt, type: select partition (Select the partition
      n that you want to delete.)
    • At the DISKPART prompt, type: delete partition

Caution

• Deleting a partition on a dynamic disk can delete all dynamic volumes on the disk, thus leaving the disk in a corrupt state. To delete a dynamic volume, use the
      delete volume command instead. For instructions on how to delete a dynamic volume, see Related Topics.

• When you delete a partition, all data on that deleted partition or logical drive is lost.

• You cannot recover deleted partitions or logical drives.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 12, 2018
Thema:

help required to delete the extra recovery partition

1. help required to delete the extra recovery partition - Similar Threads - help required delete

2. recovery partition deleted by mistake

in Windows 10 Gaming
    recovery partition deleted by mistake: I've tried to merge disk: C and D but the recovery partition get in the way so I tried to move it but I deleted it by mistake how may I get it back or is there any way to create it?from thisexample img.to this...
  3. Need help deleting extra EFI partitions.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help deleting extra EFI partitions.: After installing/trying multiple distros I have a lot of EFI/Recovery partitions in my Drive, I want to delete all but the windows one as I looking to clean/organize my drive. submitted by /u/ArVtheBest [link] [comments]...
  4. Extra partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Extra partitions: I have upgraded Windows 10 multiple times from previous builds to current 1903. I see multiple hidden partitions have been created over the upgrades, and read that most of these are Recovery partitions. I know the first 450 MB one is the one created during the first...
  5. Deleting recovery partition - how?

Deleting recovery partition - how?: I've prepared the recovery USB drive - how do I now delete the recovery partition on my C drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-recovery-partition-how/0d943c1b-93d5-4310-8350-c995f1609505
  6. delete recovery partition

delete recovery partition: delete recovery partition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/delete-recovery-partition/14446a8a-df85-41a2-b0aa-05686c1185d6
  7. Extra Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extra Partition: I think I have an extra partition. Can I remove it? [img] The 500MB is the recovery partition from my Win 10 UPGRADE install, BUT now it's marked as a primary partition. Because I reinstalled Win 10 through Windows, not clean install, and got the 450MB partition which...
  8. Delete extra recovery partition, folder, and marker?

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete extra recovery partition, folder, and marker?: I have a system that started life with a fresh Windows 10 64-bit preview build installed on a blank drive with only one partition. This was later upgraded (using the "not keep any data" option) to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit release. The system drive now has a "Recovery" folder in...
  9. Deleted Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted Recovery Partition: I have an HP laptop that shipped with Windows 8.1. I upgraded to Windows 10 weeks ago and tonight I accidentally reformatted my D: drive recovery partition. I have recovery media on a USB pen drive that I made back when I first set up my computer. Has Windows 10 changed...
  10. Extra partitions

Extra partitions: In ADMIN TOOLS|COMPUTER MGMT|DISK MGMT the following are listed... C: 952 GB "healthy recovery partition" 450 MB (the box is shaded) "healthy recovery partition" 449 MB D: 909 GB How can I get rid of the recovery partitions (or at least one, if the other is...