Windows 10: Help restoring old files

Discus and support Help restoring old files in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My computer recently broke and I had to do a complete windows 10 reinstall. If possible, how can I get all my old files back if I didn't back them up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Ti83PlusGuy, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Help restoring old files

My computer recently broke and I had to do a complete windows 10 reinstall. If possible, how can I get all my old files back if I didn't back them up onto an external drive? I've looked into my windows.old file and it seems like my files are there, but everything I find on that talks about windows updates, not reinstalls.

submitted by /u/Ti83PlusGuy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Ti83PlusGuy, Jun 7, 2020

2. Corrupt files when restored

Took me a while to answer, and follow the instructions.
    Here are the results:
    Restoring from the 2TB drive failed and the FAQ page on GetDataBack site explains this scenario (file name found but on valid data to restore on NTFS) quite well.
    Recuva software also found the files by name but they weren't valid to restore. For the next part Recuva wasn't helpful, too.
    I decided to try a different approach. I managed to find an old HDD (that I stopped using because it fell and "got" bad sectors) that had the photos. I used R-Studio program to skip those sectors (manually, they were too much for the program to ignore in sequential scan) and managed to restore all of them (I think).
    Thanks for the help.
    Hope it helps someone.

BoomBang85, Jun 7, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Help restoring old files [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Jun 7, 2020
  4. Pinchy Win User

Help restoring old files

Deleted file restore software.

I cant remember if it recovers old files OR leaves new files on the computer even after you do the restore. I havent used it in a while.

Pinchy, Jun 7, 2020
Thema:

Help restoring old files

1. Help restoring old files - Similar Threads - Help restoring old

2. I need help for restoring the old version of File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help for restoring the old version of File Explorer.: This is the worst update they made for the File Explorer. The latest Update 23H2 killed the drag and drop in File Explorer's Address Bar.I'm one of those people who drags and drop files through the address bar as part of my work. That feature is very useful and necessary for...
  3. I need help for restoring the old version of File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need help for restoring the old version of File Explorer.: This is the worst update they made for the File Explorer. The latest Update 23H2 killed the drag and drop in File Explorer's Address Bar.I'm one of those people who drags and drop files through the address bar as part of my work. That feature is very useful and necessary for...
  4. Help for restoring the old version of File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help for restoring the old version of File Explorer.: This is the worst update they made for File Explorer. The 23H2 Update killed the drag and drop in File Explorer's Address Bar.I'm one of those people who drags and drop files through the address bar as part of my work. That feature is very useful and necessary for my work but...
  5. Help for restoring the old version of File Explorer.

Help for restoring the old version of File Explorer.: This is the worst update they made for File Explorer. The 23H2 Update killed the drag and drop in File Explorer's Address Bar.I'm one of those people who drags and drop files through the address bar as part of my work. That feature is very useful and necessary for my work but...
  6. Help restoring to a restore point that is between 11-20 days old.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Help restoring to a restore point that is between 11-20 days old.: Hello Microsoft.We are having some issues with EasyAntiCheat and a windowsupdate, we cant get rid off. It creates some conflicts. Also, removing the update is very HARD.So we made a restore point. To solve this.Now the PC updated with the update again. And it wont allow us to...
  7. Help restoring to a restore point that is between 11-20 days old.

Help restoring to a restore point that is between 11-20 days old.: Hello Microsoft.We are having some issues with EasyAntiCheat and a windowsupdate, we cant get rid off. It creates some conflicts. Also, removing the update is very HARD.So we made a restore point. To solve this.Now the PC updated with the update again. And it wont allow us to...
  8. Help with File History Restore

Help with File History Restore: Hello - I am having trouble successfully restoring a backup I made using File History on a previous installation of Windows 10. On this install of Win10, I backed up a handful of directories to a Synology NAS using File History. Taking a look, it appears that all files...
  9. Help Restoring Files an emergency

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Help Restoring Files an emergency: Hello I run Windows 10 on an HP laptop. I have a urgent concern as I believe I had deleted a file folder containing years of written work and archived information. My recycle bin is set to have deleted files end up there and all newly deleted files go to the recycle bin,...
  10. File History / Backup Restore of old files not possible?

File History / Backup Restore of old files not possible?: I have the following problem / question: I use "Back up using File History" to backup all important files (documents, etc.) on my PC. I got 2 external drives. One of them I placed into the Safe Deposit Box at my local bank about a month ago (with the status as per that...