Windows 10: Help restoring Windows Update and repair tools

Discus and support Help restoring Windows Update and repair tools in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10 Version 1803 build 17134.590. I am unable to run a Windows Update, getting an error code of 0x8000ffff. Other attempts gave a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NoahAnderson1, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Help restoring Windows Update and repair tools

I am running Windows 10 Version 1803 build 17134.590.

I am unable to run a Windows Update, getting an error code of 0x8000ffff. Other attempts gave a 0xca00a0000 error. I was unable to run the Windows Update troubleshooter, but just today got it working; the troubleshooter found that the Windows Update database was corrupted and said that it fixed the issue, but I still see problems.

In addition to Windows Update not running, certain applications have quit working, such as Ubuntu 18.04, all of them giving an error about being unable to access a path in "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps".

Further, sfc /scannow gives the message "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service." Running "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" continues until around 87%, at which point it terminates and gives a 0x8000ffff error.

I have attempted to reset the PC, but the computer says "Undoing changes" and fails about 40% through the reset. I downloaded the Media Creation Tool to try to upgrade to the latest version of Windows, but that fails with the message "Windows 10 failed to install", even on a clean boot.

I did notice that the Temp folder in my AppData directory had all of its permissions removed. Adding those permissions allowed me to at least run DISM, which wouldn't even start before.

I don't know when this all started, but it may have been related to changes I tried making to install Atmel Studio last month. The changes might have involved uninstalling something from the .NET Core/Framework, a Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable, and Microsoft Visual Studio shells (integrated and isolated).

I've tried following the page on troubleshooting Windows Update errors (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors), but none of these seemed to help. Is there a chance I removed a tool all of these programs need? What steps could I take to either fix those tools or successfully reset the PC?

:)

NoahAnderson1, Jul 5, 2019
  2. 95Viper Win User

Windows update PROBLEM!

From the windows disk command prompt run sfc /scannow.

Download Superantispyware and in the preferences > repairs > Try the repair tools listed.

Also, disable system restore and any other back-ups that maybe infected.

You probably will need to re-install the system, unless you are real familiar with the internal workings and know how to do a lot of manual repair... it is tedious work.*Smile Help restoring Windows Update and repair tools :)

95Viper, Jul 5, 2019
  3. HELP! Windows 10 automatic repair couldn't repair PC. Details below

Hi Matthew,

As you are facing issue withAutomatic Repair, we would assist you for sure.

In order to understand the issue in a better manner, please share the following details

• I tried system restore” What is the error exact error message you received?

If automatic repair fails, you may try to repair them using these commands through Command Prompt under Advanced Options. Follow the steps:

Since you have done most of the troubleshooting steps, I would suggest you to try repairing the Boot Configuration Data through the command prompt by following the steps below and check if it helps.

I suggest you re-built the boot record by following the below commands and check if it helps.

You will have to use Windows 10 installation media to follow the steps to boot into Recovery Environment and try to rebuild BCD.

Step 1: I suggest you to create an installation media for
    Windows 10 using the media creation tool:

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

Step 2: After preparing the installation media, insert it hard reboot the device and follow the below:

• Boot into Windows Recovery Environment using the Windows 10 installation media.
    • Click on Repair your computer.
    • Click on Troubleshoot and in the advanced options.
    • Select Command Prompt. Type the following commands into the prompt and press Enter key after each command.

• bootrec /fixmbr

• bootrec /fixboot

• bootrec /scanos

• bootrec /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the computer.

NOTE: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting
    from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Jul 5, 2019
  4. Kem Mon Win User

Help restoring Windows Update and repair tools

Windows 10 wont boot, repair, reset, or system restore

Hi,

The issue occurs due to an
    unfinished update process which
    corrupted the system files. We suggest that you try these troubleshooting
    methods and run the update again:

Method 1:
    Run SFC Scan.

To run an
    SFC scan, follow these steps:

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator.

• Type
      sfc /scannow
      and hit
      Enter.

This will check and run an auto-repair on the issue.

Method 2:
    Run DISM Tool.

After running the
    SFC scan
    and the issue still persist, run the
    DISM
    to check the system health and to try restoring the files. To run
    DISM tool, follow these steps:

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator.

• Type the following command:

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /scanhealth

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

NOTE:
    This might take a while
    to finish scanning.
    Do not cancel.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jul 5, 2019
Thema:

Help restoring Windows Update and repair tools

1. Help restoring Windows Update and repair tools - Similar Threads - Help restoring Update

2. Help? Boot options repair and media tool download

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help? Boot options repair and media tool download: Is someone able to post and reply to help me use what I have to safeboot my windows 8 / 10 computer? The first repair and manage assist worked fine though the boot loop response petsisted and dont even ask why I did not have a restore point - first thing in good promise and...
  3. Help? Boot options repair and media tool download

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help? Boot options repair and media tool download: Is someone able to post and reply to help me use what I have to safeboot my windows 8 / 10 computer? The first repair and manage assist worked fine though the boot loop response petsisted and dont even ask why I did not have a restore point - first thing in good promise and...
  4. Windows 10 Repair Tool?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Repair Tool?: Hello All, Windows 7 had a repair tool which could be used by placing the Windows 7 CD in the CD player and running a repair. At least that is how I remember it. Anyway, is there a similar repair tool to run for Windows 10? I am having several issues with Windows 10 lately....
  5. Restoro repair tool

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restoro repair tool: Have a problem with wifi adapter on surface pro 3 and first thing found when searching for help was Restoro. It restored my surface pro 3 / windows 10 pro to some earlier software and didn't fix the adapter driver issue so I uninstalled it back to original but of course I...
  6. Windows Repair Tool

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Repair Tool: Hey, community. I was wondering if there is any application that can automatically repair Windows10 if anything goes wrong. Since my Pro edition has some difficulty with startup sometimes, I just want to know if there's any tool I can use to help Windows fix errors besides...
  7. Windows Repair tool

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Repair tool: I have just received an email ,supposedly for Microsoft, advising me that my windows repair tool is about to expire I believe this to be phishing scam. Am I correct? Regards Al...
  8. Windows update and Repair Tool/Apps not coming on properly.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update and Repair Tool/Apps not coming on properly.: When I try to update my windows 10 It does not allow me to. I tried using the Reimage Repair Tool but when I try to install/run the application It closes immediately. <----This is true for other programs as well. I have the required space for my apps and updates so I do not...
  9. repair tools for Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    repair tools for Windows 10: Sometimes I face issues with my Windows so I’d like to find out if there is a full list of diagnostic and repair tools for Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/repair-tools-for-windows-10/7ac97d08-33c0-447a-b882-19c888fc8803
  10. Windows 10 Repair Tool

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Repair Tool: I have three hard drives that have installations of Windows 10. I swap them around as needed on the same PC. Lately, two of the three have become corrupted. One so badly, I can't boot on to it. Of course I can install Windows 10 cleanly to fix the problem, but then I will...