Windows 10: [HELP] Running wsl.exe by itself and though Windows Terminal behaves differently when...

Discus and support [HELP] Running wsl.exe by itself and though Windows Terminal behaves differently when... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, I'm tryting to assosiate text file (and others) with programs in WSL. Associating files is easy, it's the command that's confusing. Doing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Goodclover, May 12, 2020.

1. [HELP] Running wsl.exe by itself and though Windows Terminal behaves differently when...

Hello, I'm tryting to assosiate text file (and others) with programs in WSL.
    Associating files is easy, it's the command that's confusing.

Doing wsl.exe nano $(wslpath "C:\Users\olive\Documents\pipi.txt") works file, it opens the file in nano on Debian GNU/Linux.

However if I want to use the new Windows Terminal by running wt, or the direct file (no difference, I tried it), this dosent work for some reason.

I've tried this:
    C:\Users\olive\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\wt.exe -p "Debian" -d "." wsl.exe nano $(wslpath "C:\Users\olive\Documents\pipi.txt")

With and without -p "Debian" (This should make no difference as the command is overwritten when I type wsl.exe afterwards.)

With and without -d "."
    with -d "/"
    with -d $(wslpath ".")
    e.t.c.

And of course I tried running them with the wt command rather than the file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've been stuck on this for a while now!
    Thanks!

(Also I don't know how technical this subreddit is so if I should go else where please point me there.)

submitted by /u/Goodclover
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Goodclover, May 12, 2020
  2. Eric Ber Win User

Can't run .exe file

Hi Phil,

There are several reasons why you are having issues running .exe files on your Windows 10 laptop. To assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your laptop prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • What is the error message that you received when running .exe files?

Regards.

Eric Ber, May 12, 2020
  3. USB drive will not run exes.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience caused to you and will help you in solving the issue.

To assist you better, I would like to ask if you have installed any Antivirus in the Laptop.

I suggest you to run the program in compatibility mode by following the steps provided below and check if the issue persist.

• Right click on the “.exe” file of the program and select properties.
    • Under Compatibility tab, check the option for “Run in Compatibility mode”.
    • Select the Operating System from the drop down list.
    • Click on Apply and OK.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, May 12, 2020
  4. swarfega Win User

[HELP] Running wsl.exe by itself and though Windows Terminal behaves differently when...

windows terminal password

To install WSL you need to add it in control panel add/remove features. Then go to the store to select your linux such as Ubuntu. You do not need to run any commands to install WSL. Bash is an older obsolete name for it.

Once you get WSL installed, you can then install Terminal which should pick up WSL. You can configure Terminal to add Ubuntu and other shells.

swarfega, May 12, 2020
Thema:

[HELP] Running wsl.exe by itself and though Windows Terminal behaves differently when...

1. [HELP] Running wsl.exe by itself and though Windows Terminal behaves differently when... - Similar Threads - HELP Running wsl

2. Windows 11 terminal behaving strangely

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 terminal behaving strangely: Windows 11 terminal keeps writing this non stop then goes away automatically and starts again in a bit, MATPE 25932 with x = 4 A[0]= A[1] A[2] = A[3] = A[4] = A[S] = PX+1-PX = 612 with x = 1 10284 with x = 3 25932 with x = 4...
  3. Windows 11 terminal behaving strangely

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 terminal behaving strangely: Windows 11 terminal keeps writing this non stop then goes away automatically and starts again in a bit, MATPE 25932 with x = 4 A[0]= A[1] A[2] = A[3] = A[4] = A[S] = PX+1-PX = 612 with x = 1 10284 with x = 3 25932 with x = 4...
  4. terminal cursor is ahead of itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    terminal cursor is ahead of itself: I buyed this laptop yesterday and wanted to have the wsl on my machine, after finishing the install the windows termial cursor having error, termial cursor is far ahead of its self where it suppose to be, i would like to know how to fix it.thank you in advance...
  5. terminal cursor is ahead of itself

terminal cursor is ahead of itself: I buyed this laptop yesterday and wanted to have the wsl on my machine, after finishing the install the windows termial cursor having error, termial cursor is far ahead of its self where it suppose to be, i would like to know how to fix it.thank you in advance...
  6. Change edge color in WSL terminal?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change edge color in WSL terminal?: When i use multiple terminals in WSL using the standard color scheme (black background, white text) and they overlap, it's hard to see where one start and another ends. If I change to white background and black text there is a thin black frame/edge to the window. Is there...
  7. Windows Terminal + WSL + Oh-My-ZSH + PowerLevel10k = Nice Looking Windows Terminal

Windows Terminal + WSL + Oh-My-ZSH + PowerLevel10k = Nice Looking Windows Terminal: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/rich_cookie_dude [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i4fiqv/windows_terminal_wsl_ohmyzsh_powerlevel10k_nice/
  8. [HELP] How can I replace cmd.exe, PowerShell, and WSL windows with Windows Terminal?

[HELP] How can I replace cmd.exe, PowerShell, and WSL windows with Windows Terminal?: As a Linux user, I love using Konsole. For work, I have to use Windows & sometimes I have to use the CLI, but I don't like PowerShell & CMD's interface, so I installed Windows Terminal, which I enjoy using. Any way for me to open cmd.exe with Win Terminal when I do Win+X?...
  9. After Windows update, mouse behaves differently

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After Windows update, mouse behaves differently: After the last Windows update to 1809, my mouse moves sometimes too fast or sometimes too slow. And it doesn’t depend on the Mouse Accelaration on or off. I use Lenovo laptop with the default Microsoft Mouse Driver. My mouse is Rapoo N1162 . I don’t face this issue in...
  10. The .exe wont run Please help

The .exe wont run Please help: Hi, Ok have a problem with .exe errors no software will open. eg. taskmanger wont open cmd wont open. i have tried everything. its like the .exe is turned off. And i cant fix it because i cant get to powershell or cmd to run commands. Bexuase i have a problem with .exe i...