Windows 10: Help! Some exe files aren't working

Discus and support Help! Some exe files aren't working in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/maerieysue [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l0xz5v/help_some_exe_files_arent_working/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/maerieysue, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Help! Some exe files aren't working

/u/maerieysue, Jan 19, 2021
  2. diego Win User

Icons from apps aren´t displayed correctly

Help! Some exe files aren't working [​IMG]

The native apps from the system are all showing this strange square instead of the normal icons. Please help resolve this problem. Thanks

diego, Jan 19, 2021
  3. Icons from apps aren´t displayed correctly

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query at Microsoft community.

Do the apps work fine apart form the icons not displaying correctly? If so I would suggest you to run an SFC scan and check if it helps. If the issue persists you may run DISM command and check.

Follow this steps:

• Press Windows+X.

• Click on Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type the command SFC /SCANNOW and
        DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and hit
        Enter.
    Hope the information provided was helpful and do let us know if you need any assistance in the future. We will be glad to help.

Rohit Chettri, Jan 19, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

Help! Some exe files aren't working

Thanks - the exe and instructions worked great

While it is indeed possible under Windows 10 to use an older winhlp32.exe to read .hlp files, there are security vulnerabilities in doing so.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...-of-hlp-files/

Converting to PDF is one option, but reading a PDF is not quite the same as having a fully functional Help file. Conversion to a help file format that Windows 10 supports would be the ideal.

The replacement format for help files is the compiled HTMLHelp format (CHM). The look and use of a .chm help file is almost identical to that of the older .hlp files. In fact, the project files (table of contents, images, text etc.) used to compile a .hlp file can easily be converted to a .chm project. From there it's an easy step to recompile the project in .chm format. Microsoft of course don't release the project files for their Help files, but these can be recreated by decompiling the .hlp file. A step-by-step guide including links to the (free) software required is here:

http://www.help-info.de/en/Help_Info...converting.htm

Thema:

Help! Some exe files aren't working

1. Help! Some exe files aren't working - Similar Threads - Help exe files

2. Some keys aren't working on a wireless keyboard.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some keys aren't working on a wireless keyboard.: I have a wireless keyboard and the windows, alt, and control keys aren't working. I've tried uninstalling the keyboard drivers in the device manager, and changing settings, and other things from the answer from someone else's MS support question but none of them worked....
  3. Some of my speakers aren't working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some of my speakers aren't working: I noticed lately my laptop audio has been weird and I realized it's because out of the three speakers, only one is working. I'm not sure how to fix it please help. I already tried to troubleshoot and everything. I have the dell inspiron 14 2-n-1...
  4. Some of my speakers aren't working

Some of my speakers aren't working: I noticed lately my laptop audio has been weird and I realized it's because out of the three speakers, only one is working. I'm not sure how to fix it please help. I already tried to troubleshoot and everything. I have the dell inspiron 14 2-n-1...
  5. .EXE Files not working or launching at all!! Please Help!!!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    .EXE Files not working or launching at all!! Please Help!!!!: Hi there, I'm not incredibly savvy with computers or Windows 10 but I have some old computer disk games I'm looking to run on my Windows 10 PC and they're from 2001 and every time I attempt to install or run the program with the .exe files on the disk, I allow the programs...
  6. cant run some exe files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cant run some exe files: I am trying to run an .exe file. It was working fine the other day, then all of a sudden it quit opening. It acts like it is opening, but doesn't. It doesn't come up in the task manager. The file i am trying to use is Autodesk.Aec.Content.CatalogEditor.exe. Some exe...
  7. Some of the keys on my keyboard aren't working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Some of the keys on my keyboard aren't working: So, this issue started a couple of days ago without a clear start. I have a HP Notebook 15 (15-F233WM) that runs Windows 10. I've never had any real problems with my keyboard before and it was running quite smoothly until suddenly, I noticed that the "n" stopped working. I...
  8. Cant open some .exe files

Cant open some .exe files: I cannot open some .exe files in my desktop, even if i try open it in her folder, strange some apps open and some dont. The pop up says: "Windows cannot find "C: .exe" Make sure the name was typed correctly" [img] [img] 80284
  9. Impossible to starts some exe files!

Impossible to starts some exe files!: hello everyone, I need help as I have tried all of what i have found in this and other forums, whitout any success. Since a week icant start some exe files and i dont know why only some! i have appleied what was described in Restore Default File Type Associations in...
  10. some .exe files hang

in Windows 10 Support
    some .exe files hang: In the last 48 hours, some .exe files do not execute. If started from explorer, explorer hangs. No error messages. These files run on another Win 10 machine. Nothing obvious in the event viewer. I note that *.exe file cannot be deleted when the system is in this state. I must...