Windows 10: Help - Tried installing Ubuntu but ended up messing PC up.

Discus and support Help - Tried installing Ubuntu but ended up messing PC up. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I boot PC, it takes me to the automatic repair thing & says that it couldn't fix my problem. It has the system restore, etc. When I try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Robert22, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Robert22 Win User

Help - Tried installing Ubuntu but ended up messing PC up.

When I boot PC, it takes me to the automatic repair thing & says that it couldn't fix my problem.
    It has the system restore, etc.
    When I try to reset it says a disk is locked or something, either way none of the options worked.
    I tried booting up the pc with my usb that had ubuntu (thank god otherwise i'd have nothing) & i tried to re-install it.
    It says I have it & windows 7 installed.
    How can I open windows 7 again?
    Any help is appreciated

:)

Robert22, Oct 30, 2015

2. windows 10

Tried all of that, either ubuntu really messed something up or some hardware is bad but atill not sure

JESSEPALEN, Oct 30, 2015
  3. romrot Win User
    why did the Microsoft update crash my hard drive?

Windows keeps ignoring the drivers I installed. there is an updated that really messed up the CPU drivers. There are programs that run fine in ubuntu, that still crash in windows.

Why is the quality of Windows so bad compared to ubuntu? ubuntu was free and it runs smoother than windows ever had on my PC and I paid over 100$ for the windows 10 license. IT's ridiculous when I turn on my computer and boot to windows it can take up to
    ten minutes just to get to login, Ubuntu takes less than 30 seconds.

romrot, Oct 30, 2015
  4. Help - Tried installing Ubuntu but ended up messing PC up.

Hello Robert22 Welcome to the Ten Forums!

And also a welcome to the "Trash MBR Seminar" you got introduced to apparently courtesy of Open Source! Been there done that once upon a time ago so don't feel all alone! *Biggrin

The first thing you will want to see tried out will be the Recovery Drive made up with an 8gb or large usb flash drive using the Backup & Recovery option for that found in the Control Panel to save on the need to pull out the media all the time.

Those two guides work hand in hand together at times if you opt for the Recovery Drive you can simply boot live from that. The HP recovery media for that model if seen made up with a recovery app(optional) might help you with the factory 7 OEM install but not with a 10 upgrade if you saw 7 upgraded. You would first need to get into the present Windows installation in order to start the revert backwards from 10 to 7 if that was the case.

What most likely did happen however was seeing the ubuntu 15:10? Installer put the GRUB boot loader on the drive which automatically overwrote the Windows mbr information. If you have the 10 media and the Startup Repair should fail the next step would be running the "Bootrec /rebuild" command at the dos like prompt to see if the boot repair option will rewrite the mbr for you. With the DiskPart tool you could also use the "list disk" and "select disk #0, 1, 2, or" commands and then type "active" after selecting the correct OS drive to see the primary made active as an alternate.

Night Hawk, Oct 30, 2015
  5. bro67 Win User
    Night Hawk all they have to do is a Fix MBR. The problem is that if they do not install Linux properly, the Grub replaces the Boot.ini for Windows.

This is why it is always best to back up before doing anything. If I need to go back to Windows, I will just image my last copy of Windows. As for the OP,

This is the exact process that the OP needs to do, in order to Fix the MBR:

The command in Windows 8/8.1/10 for fixing MBR is "bootsect.exe".
    bootsect /nt60 drive_letter: /mbr
    this fixes boot record of partition mapped to "drive_letter:" and the MBR of the disk where the partition is placed.
    C:\Windows\system32>bootsect

bootsect {/help|/nt60|/nt52} {SYS|ALL|<DriveLetter>:} [/force] [/mbr]

Boot sector restoration tool

Bootsect.exe updates the master boot code for hard disk partitions in order to
    switch between BOOTMGR and NTLDR. You can use this tool to restore the boot
    sector on your computer.

Run "bootsect /help" for detailed usage instructions.
    Alternatively you can use "Dual-boot Repair Tool" which has a graphical interface to bcdboot.exe, bootsect.exe and other useful functions like boot sector view and ... one click dual-boot repair function for Windows 10/8/7/Vista (also can fix Windows XP boot files).

bro67, Oct 30, 2015
  6. The fix mbr command isn't always that simple to use anymore. You are thinking XP, Vista, and 7 while since 8 things in the boot sector have seen some changes. Now the repair tools are needed a bit more.

One thing you should know if you decide to try using the Startup Repair you may need to be run a few times for that to work while booted live from the 10 media. Often the first run won't do anything where it then needs the repeats to see things corrected.

Night Hawk, Oct 30, 2015
  7. Robert22 Win User
    Thanks for the help guys.
    I ended up downloading the windows 7 .iso & boot usb.
    Currently trying to upgrade to windows 10 and get Ubunti again but hopefully make it work.
    Again, thanks *Smile

Robert22, Oct 30, 2015
  8. Help - Tried installing Ubuntu but ended up messing PC up.

Well one thought is to keep the Linux install isolated from the planned 10 drive unless you can work with Grub 2 any. For seeing both on the same drive you are much better running ubuntu on VM Player or enabling the Hyper-V feature that actually offers a bit more as far as settings and network switches go. The two generally won't together however so if you enable the Hyper-V don't plan anything with VM ware. But the VM will keep you from trashing the boot sector again!

Night Hawk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Help - Tried installing Ubuntu but ended up messing PC up.

1. Help - Tried installing Ubuntu but ended up messing PC up. - Similar Threads - Help Tried installing

2. pc color messed up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc color messed up: so my pc color is like rainbow and i don’t know how to fix it. The pc start to having this problem is when i accidentally turn off the power cord while the pc is running https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-color-messed-up/d204080d-29c9-40a2-8dec-882a12984f28
  3. pc color messed up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    pc color messed up: so my pc color is like rainbow and i don’t know how to fix it. The pc start to having this problem is when i accidentally turn off the power cord while the pc is running https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-color-messed-up/d204080d-29c9-40a2-8dec-882a12984f28
  4. pc color messed up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Totally messed up pc, need help!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Totally messed up pc, need help!: Ok, this is my first post here, and I wish it wasn't going to be so long and confusing. Long story trying to make shorter. Originally, I had drive c, a ssd, and drive d, internal HD named mass storage. I also use aoemi tools, such as one key boot partition backup and...
  6. Update messed up pc

Update messed up pc: I was forced to download the latest windows update. Afterwards, my computer will randomly freeze after a period of time, and I can only move the mouse cursor. I cant even bring up task manager. I am unable to uninstall the latest update...
  7. Messed up daughters PC. Trying to fix it. Please help me out.

Messed up daughters PC. Trying to fix it. Please help me out.: Split from this thread. I messed my son and daughter inlaes pc ans trying to fix it on my own can you please help me out * OS not specified...
  8. Messed up clean install. Help needed.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Messed up clean install. Help needed.: Was doing a clean install and deleted the partitions, got the message 'We couldn't create partition or locate...." Went online for trouble shooting, which did not work. Right now, I am getting this " Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media ...." How much...
  9. Pc fully messed up

Pc fully messed up: A while ago I uninstalled a cracked game (i had bought it on console wanted to mod it for fun) and let my pc run while it dod and kinda forgot about it A while later i opened it since i needed it and saw everything gone from files to apps Im over that but now nothing really...
  10. Installation Config. Messed up.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation Config. Messed up.: Coming up to four times, first time update installed from win 8.1 Pro 64 to Win ten V15 everything went good - opened a wrong email possible virus saw wrong so tried (may be the start of the prob. just do not know) 2nd reinstall to beat the vir/Malwarre from there been having...