Windows 10: Help trying to Delete an OS from dual boot system.

Discus and support Help trying to Delete an OS from dual boot system. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Thanks for you help. Please read the entire post before helping, as the items show below are inter-related. My system had been dual booted from Win... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Jim Guth, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Jim Guth Win User

Help trying to Delete an OS from dual boot system.

Thanks for you help. Please read the entire post before helping, as the items show below are inter-related.

My system had been dual booted from Win 7 since the first version of Win 10 came out. I've been having may boot problems since installing v1903 this is what I think is wrong.

Now I have Win 10 Pro and Win 10 (*) on my system. They are in the Disk 0= C: & Disk 1=D: drives respectively. ( * =unknown Home, etc. )

I have a few Problems that I need to check out and fix in order to get rid of dual boot. I want to delete the Win 10 * OS completely and keep Win 10 Pro.

So I need some real technical advice.

Here are my problem: Please see all screen shots.

1. Disk 0 Partition 1 is not marked as active and I'm pretty sure if "BootMGR or bootconfig?" reside there. I fairly sure it's on Disk1 Partition 1. So I need to know how to move it. "EasyBCD" might work here.

2. Disk 1 Partition 3 is marked as Windows RE Tool and I think it should be on Disk 0 Partition 3. However I don't know what OS it"s for or if I need to be moved am/or formatted or marked as active if it needs to be. How do I handle this?

3. I know I can use CMD "msconfig" to set Win 10 Pro as the default drive and delete the other OS. Will I have to format the Drive 1 Partition 2 to complete the deletion of Win 10 *, are there hidden OS files to worry about there?

4. I'm not sure but I believe that you have to Formatted the entire Drive. Can you format single partitions?

5. I think once I Format Drive 1 entirely Win 10 will be gone. Then can go back to a normal boot using "msconfig"?

6. Can a corrupt System Image or backup re-corrupt my system???

I hope this is clear. Please let me know if I need any additional info to remove dual boot from my system. Thanks

:)

Jim Guth, Sep 23, 2019
  2. f14tomcat Win User

Dual boot: Safe to delete 1 OS ?

Go to MSCONFIG (Win key+r, type in msconfig)... will get something similar to this:
    Help trying to Delete an OS from dual boot system. [​IMG]

Delete the OS you no longer want. Go to Disk Management,
    Help trying to Delete an OS from dual boot system. [​IMG]
    and on the OS drive, right click the partition of the unwanted OS, and delete. Now unallocated , free space.

EDIT: BACKUP FIRST!! Just good practice.... And after the steps above... reboot...

f14tomcat, Sep 23, 2019
  3. Help on Dual Boot

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you would like to dual boot the computer.

I would like to inform you that, it is possible to install Windows 10, only if Windows XP is preinstalled on the computer. If
    you are trying to install Windows XP just to run a particular software, I suggest you to run the program in compatibility mode and check if it helps.

I suggest you to run the program in Compatibility mode, please follow the below steps:

1) Right click on the Program

2) Click on Properties

3) Click on Compatibility tab

4) Select Run this program in compatibility mode and select the operating system accordingly from the drop down list.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Sep 23, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Sep 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Help trying to Delete an OS from dual boot system. - Similar Threads - Help trying Delete

2. Need help deleting linux from my dual booted system

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need help deleting linux from my dual booted system: i recently dual booted Linux but now i am in need for storage on windows so i would like to delete the Linux partitions. I deleted 2 of the three i made during setup but the third is name efi and doesn't let me delete it and i can't even extend the volumes to join the c...
  3. Need help deleting linux from my dual booted system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help deleting linux from my dual booted system: i recently dual booted Linux but now i am in need for storage on windows so i would like to delete the Linux partitions. I deleted 2 of the three i made during setup but the third is name efi and doesn't let me delete it and i can't even extend the volumes to join the c...
  4. Need help deleting linux from my dual booted system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Dual Windows OS system cannot boot with only one OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Windows OS system cannot boot with only one OS: Hello all,I have 2 nvme SSDs on my system that each contains its own Windows installation, one with Windows 10, one with Windows 11.I bought the second SSD a few months back, installed Windows 11 on it, and it works like a charm. However, I am always prompted with the select...
  6. Dual Windows OS system cannot boot with only one OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Windows OS system cannot boot with only one OS: Hello all,I have 2 nvme SSDs on my system that each contains its own Windows installation, one with Windows 10, one with Windows 11.I bought the second SSD a few months back, installed Windows 11 on it, and it works like a charm. However, I am always prompted with the select...
  7. Dual-Boots OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual-Boots OS: Hello, I am a Gamer Who is Having a Very Old PC bought at 2012 I am Using Windows 10, My PC Has 2GB RAM, and 2.8GHz Intel Pentium Processor. Windows 10 uses huge amount of ram, especially Windows Security Uses it. Normally, The Windows 10 Uses Half Of My RAM 47~60%...
  8. Dual booting OS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual booting OS: Hi, I would like to install dual booting windows 10, both OS in same hard disc. I would like to confirm that no issue to have partition C and D in both OS and no access from each other? Thanks, Ratna...
  9. Dual boot: Safe to delete 1 OS ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot: Safe to delete 1 OS ?: Hello ! Currently, I have dual boot Win7 and Win10. And the only reason I have Win7 is because the drivers for a printer were not updated to Win10. Now recently HP did just that, and I no longer need Win7. The way I have it set up is that I have Win7 on one partition,...
  10. Eliminating second OS from dual boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Eliminating second OS from dual boot: I have Win 10 as the second of a dual boot with Vista. Each is on it's own hard drive. If I remove the Vista drive then win 10 won't boot as it is looking for winload.exe. Is there a way I can give it access to the winload.exe it is looking forand then uninstall Vista? If...