Windows 10: HELP - type search in start / search from taskbar not working

Discus and support HELP - type search in start / search from taskbar not working in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Typing in my start menu and search box from the taskbar doesn't work. Search within explorer works fine, I have tried reindexing but to no avail.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/geeky-hawkes, Feb 17, 2020.

1. HELP - type search in start / search from taskbar not working

Typing in my start menu and search box from the taskbar doesn't work.

Search within explorer works fine, I have tried reindexing but to no avail.

Symptom:

Press start key (or click menu) type gimp only g appears in the search box, pause for a second no search results and then search box closes. If I open search and mash the keyboard all the characters come up for the first second or so then nothing more, likewise if I open search and type quickly about the first seconds worth of characters appear but no search results are displayed. If I press search with the mouse then the search window is displayed and will wait for entry - as soon as I start typing again as above (characters captured for first second but no results shown).

What have I tried:

BingSearchEnabled 0 in regedit (no change)

searching and indexer troubleshooter - no issues found

confirmed C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe is running

powershell: $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

powershell: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

restarted PC - no change

tried US keyboard as well as my local region - no change

tried different keyboard - no change

running windows 10 1909 OX Build 18363.592

cmd> sfc /scannow

cmd> DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth

Also tried media creation tool and reinstalling over the top - no change.

Thoughts welcome- I don't want to reinstall just to fix this but running out of ideas!

submitted by /u/geeky-hawkes
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/geeky-hawkes, Feb 17, 2020

2. Taskbar search

Hi,

To assist you better, kindly send us a screenshot and provide more details by answering the following questions:

• When you say "taskbar search function", do you mean the Start menu search field?
    • Are you getting any error messages upon accessing the taskbar search?
    Meanwhile, to help resolve your concern, we suggest that you run the System file checker and DISM tool to fix issues with corrupted system files that may be causing the issue. To do this, follow these steps:

• Press Windows Key + X on your keyboard.
    • Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type or copy these commands followed by hitting Enter:

sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    Do let us know how it goes.

Monica Cam, Feb 17, 2020
  3. D. Joe Win User
    Taskbar search

Did not do anything to help. The search in File Explorer works fine. The first and last screen shot shows a search leading to no results but the file explorer finds them just fine. The last one shows my indexing options.

Thank you

PS: can't get the screenshots to upload....

D. Joe, Feb 17, 2020
  4. APG6 Win User

HELP - type search in start / search from taskbar not working

my taskbar search is working sporadically

My taskbar search bar is working some of the time. For example, if I type in "TaskMgr", it will list taskmgr, and when I click on it, it opens my Task Manager, as expected.

But if I type in a file name or an app, like WinMerge, it will list them properly in the Search list, but if I click on them, either nothing happens or it takes me to the root window of File Explorer, instead of to the file or the app.

I ran through all the steps on this page, to no avail: Search isn't working on Windows 10? Try these fixes.

Any ideas?

Thema:

HELP - type search in start / search from taskbar not working

1. HELP - type search in start / search from taskbar not working - Similar Threads - HELP type search

2. Start menu/'Type here to search'/Taskbar lagging.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu/'Type here to search'/Taskbar lagging.: When I try to open the windows start menu it takes about 2-3 seconds to load and it is really frustrating, this also happens with opening and closing task manager, right clicking on the task bar and attempting to quick search something. Sometimes the 'Type here to search'...
  3. Start menu/'Type here to search'/Taskbar lagging.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu/'Type here to search'/Taskbar lagging.: When I try to open the windows start menu it takes about 2-3 seconds to load and it is really frustrating, this also happens with opening and closing task manager, right clicking on the task bar and attempting to quick search something. Sometimes the 'Type here to search'...
  4. Start menu/'Type here to search'/Taskbar lagging.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. On taskbar there is "Search for anything" instead of "Type here to search"

On taskbar there is "Search for anything" instead of "Type here to search": please tell me fix for this i faced a problem that startup programs was not opening but after I reisntalled them it fixed but I cannor uninstall cortana. Thank you...
  6. type to search not working can not type in type to search

in Cortana
    type to search not working can not type in type to search: It randomly happened that i couldn't type in type to search bar and i tried doing sfc /scannow and it said some fiels are corruptedand said it repaired them but it didn't....
  7. Type Search not working

in Cortana
    Type Search not working: please help, every time using type search in start menu - does not work and cannot able to type any letters https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/type-search-not-working/a360ae1f-102f-44e7-840a-b38d37bec87d
  8. start typing to search

start typing to search: hi Microsoft: I like to know that I do not have start typing to search on my start menu in Windows 10 2004 as in here, https://i3g4v6w8.stackpathcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/start-typing-search-windows-10-20h1.jpg. Where can I get that on mine?...
  9. Start menus & type to search

Start menus & type to search: Thought I would show what Win10 Start menus can be (& do, soon*). The content is a wee bit different because, one is 1903 & the other is the latest Fast Track Insider Build. *With the IB can see Start typing to search. This reminds of Win8 when one could just type 'in...
  10. Start menu typing search doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu typing search doesn't work: I thought I could just type "rege" and get Regedit result right away. No. I need to type the whole name. What's going on? The Windows Search service is running. I disabled Cortana, but that shouldn't matter, should it? 112057