Windows 10: Help undo/reset encryption cert creation in windows 10 please :)

Discus and support Help undo/reset encryption cert creation in windows 10 please :) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; In windows 10 I right clicked a folder, then clicked advanced, then selected “encrypt contents to secure data”, then applied to folder and sub folders.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/yahtzee50, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Help undo/reset encryption cert creation in windows 10 please :)

In windows 10 I right clicked a folder, then clicked advanced, then selected “encrypt contents to secure data”, then applied to folder and sub folders.

I then Went through the create a certificate process and gave a password. But this was all just a test, so my password isn’t what I want it to be. How do I reset what I’ve done ?

Thanks!

submitted by /u/yahtzee50
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/yahtzee50, Mar 5, 2020

2. Device Encryption not avaiable

Hello Fraczek,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

• Are you referring to BitLocker Drive Encryption?
    • What preventing you from doing this?
    • Did you get any error message or code while doing this?

Before you come up with the above information, suggest you to refer the article

Help protect your files using BitLocker Drive Encryption
    and see if it help you.

Do refer the article
    Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Step-by-Step Guide
    and check if it help you with the required information.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Mar 5, 2020
  3. Windows XP file encryption

LOL thanks, I think its standard windows XP file encryption

troyrae360, Mar 5, 2020
  4. qubit Win User

Help undo/reset encryption cert creation in windows 10 please :)

windows 7 encryption problem

Sounds like he was using the Encrypting File System (EFS) built into XP. This uses a certificate (similar to that used on SSL for websites) and optionally a password to unlock the files.

The certificate can be stored separately from the computer and imported into another one running Windows XP, Vista or 7, in which case you can then read the files just fine.

By the sound of it, the cert wasn't stored anywhere and has now been lost due to the drive reformat.

In this case he's f*cked.

I strongly suggest you and he read up on encryption and thoroughly understand it before turning it on again. Using it in a half-baked manner does more harm than good, as you and him have found out. The Inside Out series of books from Microsoft have the best info on Windows and are reasonably priced from Amazon.

qubit, Mar 5, 2020
Thema:

Help undo/reset encryption cert creation in windows 10 please :)

1. Help undo/reset encryption cert creation in windows 10 please :) - Similar Threads - Help undo reset

2. How to undo creation of user account?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to undo creation of user account?: Could somebody please tell me how do I undo what I've done?I tried to disable the login on my Win 10 Pro Home Theater PC following this - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-windows-10-login-screen-on-startup/fda83de1-4fbd-40ae-bea0-677c6aad1a07...
  3. How to undo creation of user account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to undo creation of user account?: Could somebody please tell me how do I undo what I've done?I tried to disable the login on my Win 10 Pro Home Theater PC following this - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-windows-10-login-screen-on-startup/fda83de1-4fbd-40ae-bea0-677c6aad1a07...
  4. Undo a Windows Reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Undo a Windows Reset: So I was having issues with Windows and thought that resetting it would fix my problem. Of course I want to keep all my files so I choose that option in the recovery page in settings. I select "Yes" I would like to restore apps and settings. I do the reset, and all of my...
  5. Undo a Windows Reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Undo a Windows Reset: So I was having issues with Windows and thought that resetting it would fix my problem. Of course I want to keep all my files so I choose that option in the recovery page in settings. I select "Yes" I would like to restore apps and settings. I do the reset, and all of my...
  6. Undo a Windows Reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. PLEASE HELP push button reset undo

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PLEASE HELP push button reset undo: Apparently I initiated a push button reset accidentally and now all off the files from my desktop are gone! How can I get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/please-help-push-button-reset-undo/379a5ad8-33e7-4096-8dc5-d1708d1366c9"
  8. Weird experience resetting Windows 10, please help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird experience resetting Windows 10, please help: I did a reset and chose to fully clean the drive. The first attempt took about 30 minutes until I got a message saying not all of my personal files could be removed. There was still about 200gb of data in the Windows.old folder. So I did another one and it took about the same...
  9. Please help undo disabling of Windows Security.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Please help undo disabling of Windows Security.: I used the following commands I found online (at this link) to disable Windows Security but it is causing issues after the most recent Windows update. How do I reverse these commands and get Windows Security back to normal? In the command prompt, type: reg add...
  10. Please Help To Undo PowerShell Operation.

in Windows 10 Support
    Please Help To Undo PowerShell Operation.: Hello, So I have 51GB .eappx file that needed to be decrypt-ed. I launched powershell and put in the command line Add-appxpackage "File location here".eappx I had to run powershell as admin to properly execute the operation but I did not. It said Deployment...