Windows 10: Help w/ blank screen/cursor

Discus and support Help w/ blank screen/cursor in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello Shortly after upgrading my nVidia drivers to a Windows 10 version (about a week ago), I've been getting the now famous blank screen with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by oldhairynose, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Help w/ blank screen/cursor

Hello
    Shortly after upgrading my nVidia drivers to a Windows 10 version (about a week ago), I've been getting the now famous blank screen with a cursor. I can bring up the "Projectors" menu (Winkey + P) but nothing else.

I can get into the Troubleshooting boot mode, however all forms of Safe Mode yield the same result. I've tried the Restore option to no avail, and none of my restore points are working either.

If anyone has any sort of idea besides totally reformatting, it'd be great. Thanks,
    OHN

:)

oldhairynose, Sep 25, 2015

2. W 10 update failure

W 10 upgrade apparently failed. Screen blank after 7 hrs, no cursor, keyboard & mouse input don't register, but PC power lights are on. Power switch doesn't work. Should I unplug?

Steve06141946, Sep 25, 2015
  3. Win 10 Blank Screen w cursor

Because the results of doing a Clean Install Windows 10 are so good for
    everyone who's followed the steps in that link, I would
    Create Windows 10 Installation Media
    to boot, clear all partitions down to Unallocated Space as illustrated in the link, then complete all the steps for best results.
    Otherwise you can work through the Windows 10 Install Integrity
    Checklist
    to make sure the install is set up correctly, optimized for best performance, and any needed repairs are done.

If any steps cannot be performed then try whichever method works here
    How To Access Advanced Startup Options in 10 to get into Safe Mode which may work better,
    or use the Command Prompt at boot.

If you’ll report back as you go, we may have other steps that are indicated. We will help you complete them all.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 25, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Help w/ blank screen/cursor

Hello, I can sympathise having had a black screen on first upgrade attempt but for a very different reason, then a peculiarity until my Nvidia driver was installed.

I assume your aim would be to roll the driver back, and it seems you can log in.

'Easy' option:
    You've said System Restore isn't helpful here.
    Do you use disk imaging, and if so, do you have a suitable image? (Very very strongly recommended - e.g. Macrium Reflect, Aomei Backupper...)

Otherwise, as you mentioned Win key + P, what happens if you use Win key + X, Win key + R?

If you can get to the control panel, device manager, you could roll the driver back.

dalchina, Sep 26, 2015
Thema:

Help w/ blank screen/cursor

1. Help w/ blank screen/cursor - Similar Threads - Help blank screen

2. Windows 10 blank screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 blank screen with cursor: I’ve got a problem with my pc where when it isn’t in winRE I get an infinite boot loop and when I attempt to get into winRE it goes to a blank screen with a cursor. On the boot loop I can’t use my keyboard or mouse, and on the blank screen none of the keyboard commands seem...
  3. Blank Screen with Cursor after Login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank Screen with Cursor after Login: I just installed the most recent cumulative update for Microsoft Windows 10 on my laptop late last week. Since that time, whenever I login it dumps me onto a blank screen with no desktop icons or taskbar, but there is a cursor, and I can run chrome and probably other apps...
  4. Blank Screen with No Cursor at Startup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Blank Screen with No Cursor at Startup: Hello Everyone, Both my and dad's computer sometimes get stuck while starting and can't even get to the password screen. Sometimes the keyboard works while this happens e.g num lock/caps lock gives light when you press them but the cursor never appears. The fan works like...
  5. Blank screen with cursor after login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blank screen with cursor after login: Hi all, I'm having a total nightmare and I'm hoping someone can suggest a fix. My main windows account seems to be very broken, when I try to log in I just get a black screen with a cursor. Ctrl + Alt + Del works but if I select task manager I get an hour glass briefly then...
  6. Black Screen W/Cursor Help Please.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen W/Cursor Help Please.: I came home from Thanksgiving day dinner only to have a Black screen with a cursor and I have tried almost all the repair options I could find on the net. My main problem is I have not task manager that will come up or when trying the safe mode option all I see is still the...
  7. Login in to Windows w/ blank screen and cursor after Windows update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Login in to Windows w/ blank screen and cursor after Windows update: Upon signing into Windows after a normal startup I am met with a blank screen and a cursor. This is always after updating Windows. I have done this multiple times after reverting back to an old save so I can actually use my PC. I would like to be able to update Windows...
  8. screen turning blank with cursor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    screen turning blank with cursor: when i factory reset my window 10 in hp stream ,it boots and says preparing windows but after mins it turns into black screen with a cursor....how to fix this error?...
  9. Screen blank at boot no cursor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Screen blank at boot no cursor: When I boot, I get a blank screen (w/o cursor). I tried booting into safe mode without success. Computer is Windows 10 originally. I tried using sfc command. Nothing found. Monitor is working. I removed ssd and replaced with another. I could only restore image with one two...
  10. blank screen, active cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    blank screen, active cursor: an old friend has phoned me up in a panic and will phone back later for advice. Her 4-year old laptop, running Windows 10 is just showing a black screen at start up, with active cursor. We have a Windows 10 laptop here, but I do not use it and am not familiar with the system....