Windows 10: Help. Windows 10 file explorer does not discover NAS

Discus and support Help. Windows 10 file explorer does not discover NAS in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; As the title says I am unable to "see" my NAS in windows explorer. I was able to use explorer to view/add/delete files on my NAS a few weeks ago but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by singhrh, Oct 23, 2015.

1. singhrh Win User

Help. Windows 10 file explorer does not discover NAS

As the title says I am unable to "see" my NAS in windows explorer. I was able to use explorer to view/add/delete files on my NAS a few weeks ago but now now cannot even see the NAS in the network section.
    Funny thing is that I am able to ping the server and even login to the GUI via IE and firefox. But i can't get the media files.

I am currently running the evaluation copy of Windows 10: Details:
    - Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview
    - version 1511
    - OS build 10565.41737
    - 64Bit
    - Intel i&-2600 CPU with 24GB of RAM

I have tried the follow to correct the issue with no success:
    - Rebooted windows 10 machine (several times)
    - Rebooted Router (Actiontec V2000H)
    - Rebooted NAS (FreeNAS 9.3)
    - ipconfig /flushdns
    - change from using PIN to password
    - Change from password to PIN
    - using regedit added the AllowInsecureGuestAuth = 1 to the registry.

Notes on NAS:
    using Freenas 9.3, ZFS volume, enabled CIFS shares. do not require login to access media files (or any files). The server only has media files on it so no password required or enabled.

Notes on Network:
    - The network is hardwired with Cat 5e cable (except for wireless printer)
    - Windows 10 explorer is able to "see" other windows machines (windows 7 and 8), an Linus Ubuntu 14.04 machine, router (Actiontec V2000H, printer (wireless), AV receiver,
    - the windows 7/8 machines are able to access the media files on the NAS with no issues and are able to see the windows 10 machine.
    - the ubuntu 14.04 machine is able to access the media files on the NAS with no issues and is able to see the windows 10//8/7 machines on the network.

Any help or direction to try next would be greatly appreciated. I like windows 10 but it will be a show stopper if I cannot access my NAS from this Windows 10 machine.

Thanks

:)

singhrh, Oct 23, 2015
  2. Marc Cai Win User

File Explorer does not discover networked drives in Build 14926

Hi Fred,

Regarding your query that the USB drive attached to your modem could not be read by the specific Build of Windows 10, please follow this step:

1. In regedit.exe, please check if you have this registry address:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel

Some build of Windows 10 may not have the key address. In this case we will not be able to proceed.

2. Change its value from 0 to 1.

Note: The method provided may or may not work on your specific Windows 10 build
    (for some reason that the Build do not have the specific registry key), but still worth to give it a try.
    It would still be best to
    upgrade to a newer build (or from Build 14926 - 14939)
    . to fix the issue and other known bugs.

Update us when you need further assistance.

Marc Cai, Oct 23, 2015
  3. FredBK Win User
    File Explorer does not discover networked drives in Build 14926

I have a USB drive attached to my router which normally shows under networking in File Explorer. This does not happen in this build. This problem exists on a PC and a laptop with this build installed.

I also have Win 10 Build 14939.187, the Anniversary Update, installed on a PC and a tablet. Both of these units show the drive in FE as expected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FredBK, Oct 23, 2015
  4. jistme Win User

Yesterday I also (clean) installed Windows 10 version 1511, and now experience exactly the same as singhrh described. (using nas4free 10.2)
    I also tried all the same things to resolve it, without result.

It really seems there is a network discovery problem introduced with Windows 10 version 1511.

jistme, Nov 15, 2015
  5. singhrh Win User
    I think it has to do with some timing problem. I'm not a network guru so I couldn't even begin to tell you what it is.
    However although not a fix I do have a work around that I use.
    Try typing in \\ip_address (ip_address = ip of NAS) in the explorer address bar. You should be able to see your NAS. If so you can then map a network drive using this method. This is what I do until a fix can be found.

singhrh, Nov 15, 2015
  6. djriful Win User
    djriful, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Help. Windows 10 file explorer does not discover NAS - Similar Threads - Help file explorer

2. NAS stopped appearing as Computer in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NAS stopped appearing as Computer in File Explorer: I recently added a Synology DS220+ to my network. From my main PC I could see the NAS as a "Computer" and so could expand to see folders as with any other PC on the network. I was using file explorer to transfer some files to the NAS when the process hung. Now I cannot see...
  3. can't see my NAS drive on file explorer windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    can't see my NAS drive on file explorer windows 10: i can't see my NAS drive file explorer QTS TS-253Aany suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-see-my-nas-drive-on-file-explorer-windows-10/f607462a-b7b9-4cbc-82de-9c6dac90450f
  4. windows 10 search not working with NAS files, cannot find files on NAS in file explorer SOLVED

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 search not working with NAS files, cannot find files on NAS in file explorer SOLVED: this was a huge problem for my companyWIN 7 works fine with search, local and nasWIN 10 just cant seem to find anythingi dont know the logic of why the problem was fixed maybe someone could shed some lightone day when i was doing a fresh install of WIN 10 pro, i deactivated...
  5. Access files on NAS-drive through windows file explorer

Access files on NAS-drive through windows file explorer: Hi! Throughout the years I’ve had several different NAS-drives from different manufacturers connected to my home network, and on my computer which had windows 7 installed on it, I could always access all the files on my drives by simply clicking on the drive in the network...
  6. The password prompt of NAS on windows 10 make crash file explorer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    The password prompt of NAS on windows 10 make crash file explorer: I have a problem with the password prompt, the windows login works perfect, on startup but when in the file explorer, when I try to log on my NAS, and it ask the password, when I digit it and give Enter, stuck for 2-3 second than make crash the file explorer and it does not...
  7. WINDOWS 10 FILE EXPLORER CANNOT DISCOVER LINUX DEVICES

WINDOWS 10 FILE EXPLORER CANNOT DISCOVER LINUX DEVICES: I expect to be able to see all network computers in the top section of Windows Network Explorer. This is sometimes the case, but mostly no Linux devices are shown. This means Linux NAS cannot be seen. UPnP Servers for the devices DO show OK as Media devices, but the...
  8. Connect to NAS via Explorer does not work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Connect to NAS via Explorer does not work: Dear community, I'm trying to connect via explorer in Windows 10 to my WD NAS. It does not work with explorer although I'm setting the appropriate credentials (Username of NAS etc.). With the good old "Net use Z. \\....") it works perfect. So where do I have to look to...
  9. Can't access NAS files in file explorer

Can't access NAS files in file explorer: Hi, I have a small home office with two computers. I decided to invest in a NAS so that the two computers have access to the same files. The newer computer, a lenovo AIO, had no problem connecting to the nas through a network switch which both computers are connected to,...
  10. Cannot mount NAS in windows 10 explorer

Cannot mount NAS in windows 10 explorer: Good morning all, Usually I don't ever post anything - google seems to solve it for me. But this time every solution has failed. Hardware: Dlink DNS-320 Nas, running most current firmware, Acer Iconia W700i running the most upto date Windows 10 Home x64 (problem is...