Windows 10: (Help) Windows 10 updated on its own today, desktop is now black with a flickering taskbar.

Discus and support (Help) Windows 10 updated on its own today, desktop is now black with a flickering taskbar. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have been trying to figure out how to address and find the root of the problem. Most keys and commands don't work, but I can open the task manager... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/BirdSlingerJohnson, Apr 25, 2020.

1. (Help) Windows 10 updated on its own today, desktop is now black with a flickering taskbar.

I have been trying to figure out how to address and find the root of the problem. Most keys and commands don't work, but I can open the task manager and everything is fine up until I sign in. It makes me think it isn't an issue with the visual driver, but I am unsure what to do. I have no desire to have to reinstall windows and would rather do that as a total last resort to preserve what I have. Thoughts or ideas on how to fix this problem?

submitted by /u/BirdSlingerJohnson
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/BirdSlingerJohnson, Apr 25, 2020
  2. ss2020 Win User

Desktop items open Libreoffice; windows bugged and flickering

My mother's PC had the most bizarre bug I've ever seen this morning.

PC specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit
    Version: 1903 when problem occurred (1909 now)

What happened:
    • all desktop items, including folders, opened in Libreoffice Writer; once open it displayed a blank document then began flickering as if it had bugged while scrolling
    • opened Task Manager from the task bar, selecting the second tab opened the final tab, which began flickering like Libreoffice
    • problems stopped after a restart, then occurred again after another restart; then stopped after the PC ran for a short time
    • no error popups or BSODs
    • she said Candycrush reported an error earlier but it didn't occur when I looked at it; she said it mentioned "something about the desktop"

Steps I've taken:
    • did a quick virus scan then reboot scan with Windows Defender; no problems found
    • sfc /scannow; no problems found
    • installed update KB4537572 and upgraded system to 1909; updates appear to have been successful, no other updates available

At the moment the problem has disappeared, but since it reoccurred previously I'm not sure it hasn't been fixed.

I'm out of ideas. What else can I check and what other tests can I run? Based on the given information could anyone suggest what the problem might be?

ss2020, Apr 25, 2020
  3. flickers with win 10

Hi James,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with flickering screen on Windows 10, we will help you with this issue.

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ incompatible/ outdated display drivers after the latest update, try the below and check if it helps.

• Do let us know when exactly you get the flickering screen on your device?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message on flickering screen?

I suggest you to refer to the Microsoft article:
    Troubleshoot screen flickering in Windows 10
    for flickering screen, try the troubleshooting steps mentioned and check if it helps.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue to assist you better.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 25, 2020
  4. (Help) Windows 10 updated on its own today, desktop is now black with a flickering taskbar.

Screen flickering in safe mode help!

Hi Yasmeentq,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your query. I suggest you to follow the steps to get out of safe mode.

• Press Windows key + R

• Type msconfig

• In msconfig > Boot tab >
      Boot Options > uncheck Safe Boot > APPLY / OK.

Screen flickering in Windows 10 is usually caused by incompatible apps or display drivers. I suggest you to refer to the article below and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot screen flickering in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/troubleshoot-screen-flickering

Regards.

SujataMoktan, Apr 25, 2020
Thema:

(Help) Windows 10 updated on its own today, desktop is now black with a flickering taskbar.

1. (Help) Windows 10 updated on its own today, desktop is now black with a flickering taskbar. - Similar Threads - Help updated own

2. Windows 10 Taskbar And Desktop Keeps Refreshing On Its Own

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Taskbar And Desktop Keeps Refreshing On Its Own: HelloMy Pc's Taskbar and Desktop keeps refreshing on its own,İ know that microsoft Community asked it before but its not works.Like "sfc /scannow" not working beacuse i cant make the cmd adminastor cant do powershell adminWhy i can't? beacuse when i try to open them the...
  3. Windows 10 Taskbar And Desktop Keeps Refreshing On Its Own

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Taskbar And Desktop Keeps Refreshing On Its Own: HelloMy Pc's Taskbar and Desktop keeps refreshing on its own,İ know that microsoft Community asked it before but its not works.Like "sfc /scannow" not working beacuse i cant make the cmd adminastor cant do powershell adminWhy i can't? beacuse when i try to open them the...
  4. Windows 10 Taskbar And Desktop Keeps Refreshing On Its Own

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. WINDOWS 10 TASKBAR AND DESKTOP KEPPS REFRESHING ON ITS OWN

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WINDOWS 10 TASKBAR AND DESKTOP KEPPS REFRESHING ON ITS OWN: I am facing this issue from many months , my desktop and taskbar keeps refreshing itself and its very annoying , also when i open FILE EXPLORER after few seconds it closes in its own and i am unable to do my work . this problem alters my all works which i do regularly on my...
  6. Help!!! Windows 10 has mind of its own

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help!!! Windows 10 has mind of its own: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/BillionDollarKing [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kvk4o4/help_windows_10_has_mind_of_its_own/
  7. Flickering black desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Flickering black desktop: Hello everyone, I logged in to my pc yesterday to find to find an empty black desktop and a taskbar that kept on flickering. The last thing I remember was installing a few updates, so when I entered recovery mode, I tried uninstalling the latest update. The process took a...
  8. BLACK SCREEN WITH FLICKERING TASKBAR

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BLACK SCREEN WITH FLICKERING TASKBAR: As you have read the subject........ my PC is stuck in a black screen with a flickering taskbar. I have tried opening task manager using several methods but it would not open. I have tried to uninstall previous updates but still it did not work. When i try to keep it in...
  9. Black screen with flickering taskbar Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black screen with flickering taskbar Windows 10: I recently installed a new SSD on my ASUS laptop. To make my SSD as bootable i cloned my old HDD on to it using Kingston's cloning software. Everything is good until I login. Then all i see is a black screen with flickering taskbar. Even task manager is not working. I used...
  10. Black desktop and taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black desktop and taskbar: My taskbar is gone and my desktop background is black now and keep refreshing. What shall I do ?? explorer.exe in cmd does not the solution https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-desktop-and-taskbar/c6468947-822b-41b3-9577-977d63b0ac85