Windows 10: Help: "Windows Can't Open This Item" for my File Explorer and other apps on my taskbar

Discus and support Help: "Windows Can't Open This Item" for my File Explorer and other apps on my taskbar in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Background: My laptop's (HP Pavilion 14) charger malfunctioned and it took me awhile to get it replaced bc of COVID. After I got my new charger and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/yawapisteatay, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Help: "Windows Can't Open This Item" for my File Explorer and other apps on my taskbar

Background: My laptop's (HP Pavilion 14) charger malfunctioned and it took me awhile to get it replaced bc of COVID.

After I got my new charger and turned the laptop on, it said Boot Device Not Found on the screen. I solved the problem through by going to System Configuration > Boot Options > Legacy Support > Enable.

After that worked it took me right back to where I left off, with my game and internet tabs still open before my laptop shut down bc of the charger. I restarted it and after that, I notices some icons on the taskbar, particularly File Explorer and Chrome, didn't load and when I tried to open it all it said was "Windows Can't Open This Item" and my Start button doesn't open as well. I tried to fix it using sfc/ scannow but it didn't do anything. I saw some suggestion of going to RegEdit and deleting the UserChoice folder under .lnk but I didn't have a UserChoice folder under mine.

What else can I do about this?

submitted by /u/yawapisteatay
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/yawapisteatay, Jul 15, 2020

2. mouse right click will not open my file explorer in taskbar

Hello Carl,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

• What happens when you left clicking?
    • When you say right click, do you actually mean left click?
    • Which all troubleshooting steps have you already tried to resolve this issue?

Left clicking with mouse will open File explorer or any other programs. Whereas right click will give you context menu.

I suggest you to right-click on the File Explorer
    on the task bar and select Unpin from Taskbar. Now in the search bar type
    File Explorer and right click on it and select Pin it to Taskbar
    and check if it helps.

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jul 15, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    When Windows+E, how to get Windows Explorer to open where I want?

Open File Explorer the normal way (eg WinKey+E). It will then have an icon on the taskbar, right-click on it and select 'Pin to taskbar'.

To see the jump list of recently opened items for File Explorer (or any other app) you also need to make sure that 'Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar' is turned on in Settings > Personalisation > Start.

4. KindOfCat Win User

Help: "Windows Can't Open This Item" for my File Explorer and other apps on my taskbar

Can't Open File Explorer on Windows 10

This suggestion didn't work. File Explorer appears to activate on my system, but it activates in a minimized state. No matter what I do, I cannot find a way to expand the File Explorer program. Now I don't have any way to access my files. I need to access
    my files, or find out if it is even possible to role back my operating system to Windows 8.1. Can you help restore access to my files?

If you can't help my access my File Explorer to have access to my files, can you provide instructions on how I can roll back to Windows 8.1 on my Microsoft Surface Pro 2?

KindOfCat, Jul 15, 2020
Thema:

Help: "Windows Can't Open This Item" for my File Explorer and other apps on my taskbar

1. Help: "Windows Can't Open This Item" for my File Explorer and other apps on my taskbar - Similar Threads - Help Can't Open

2. ungroup my taskbar items

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ungroup my taskbar items: In my previous version of Windows, open documents would appear side by sicde on my taskbar, until it was too full. Then it started to group them relating to the app e.g. all Word documents under one tab.In Windows 11, everything is always grouped. Can I undo this?...
  3. ungroup my taskbar items

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ungroup my taskbar items: In my previous version of Windows, open documents would appear side by sicde on my taskbar, until it was too full. Then it started to group them relating to the app e.g. all Word documents under one tab.In Windows 11, everything is always grouped. Can I undo this?...
  4. i need help with my file explorer on my taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i need help with my file explorer on my taskbar: My File explorer is pinned to my taskbar and when I try to open it I get this error it opens fine on my start menu and desktop but not the taskbarHere is the error...
  5. i need help with my file explorer on my taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i need help with my file explorer on my taskbar: My File explorer is pinned to my taskbar and when I try to open it I get this error it opens fine on my start menu and desktop but not the taskbarHere is the error...
  6. i need help with my file explorer on my taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Green ticks on my icons and can't open jpeg files and other apps

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Green ticks on my icons and can't open jpeg files and other apps: After Windows 10 updated, my personalised desktop background was gone and when I tried to choose the jpeg file a message came up saying this file cannot be accessed by the system. This message had come up with many photos and documents. I can't access my apps on my desktop...
  8. Opening the windows explorer, or any other windows apps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Opening the windows explorer, or any other windows apps: I recently updated my windows 10 KB4541738 and after the update, windows is not opening as intended. Windows apps are not opening, explorer does not open even when manually running it, settings doesn't open at any way, and also creating another user is unavailable. Tried...
  9. Windows 10 taskbar items are not working / opening. HELP

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 taskbar items are not working / opening. HELP: Hello, After I installed the latest update of WIndows 10 insider program, I am unable to preview or open Windows 10 taskbar itemslike network connections, notification bar, time, volume neither from taskbar nor from the settings place. can someone kindly help. is this a...
  10. Start menu and other taskbar items won't open

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu and other taskbar items won't open: Hello, For some reason, my Start menu won't open, by both mouse or keyboard button. Other taskbar items (bottom right icons) aren't opening either, e.g. battery info, wifi menu, audio settings, calendar/clock, and messages. However, I can open the tray only. I tried...