Windows 10: Help! Windows update has stopped my laptop booting normally

Discus and support Help! Windows update has stopped my laptop booting normally in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, After latest Windows security update in December, my laptop just won't load normally (stuck on black screen with spinner). I've tried the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KennySwis, Jan 1, 2019.

1. KennySwis Win User

Help! Windows update has stopped my laptop booting normally

Hi,

After latest Windows security update in December, my laptop just won't load normally (stuck on black screen with spinner).

I've tried the following:

- Booting into safe mode and uninstalling update - didn't work

- Booting into safe mode and trying to start a clean boot - didn't work

Please can anyone help with what I can do next? I find it very strange I can boot into safe mode, but a clean boot doesn't work.

:)

KennySwis, Jan 1, 2019

2. Can't boot into Normal/Safe Mode with Networking, only safe mode...

Good Evening,
    I could do with some pointers on resolving an issue. I can only boot into windows in safe mode in Windows 10. Normal mode and safe mode with networking doesn't work. The problem occurred after a windows update. I have removed the latest updates that were installed and cleared any pending ones but it still won't boot properly. I have also run the troubleshooter and tried to recovery to an earlier date which also doesn't work.
    The laptop is a HP ENVY 17 notebook. At boot it just gets to the HP logo with the circular loading icon and no further and can only boot it into safe mode. Can anyone recommend the next steps? I have also tried the following;

• stopping startup items
    • uninstalling hardware drivers
    • removing recent software
    • running troubleshooters at boot
    • sfc scan
    • diagnostic/selective startups with minimal services running
    Would the fact that I cant boot into Safe Mode with Networking imply its a network driver related issue?
    Bit of a dead end really, any help would be much appreciated
    Kind regards
    Trevor

trevstonbury, Jan 1, 2019
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    power failure during windows normal updates

Hi Sue,

It is possible that the update components were corrupted causing this issue to occur. We suggest that you perform
    these methods of troubleshooting
    and update your Windows 10 again:

Method 1:
    Run SFC Scan.  

SFC
    will
    scan
    and
    run
    an
    automatic repair
    to any
    corrupted system files
    that it will detect. We suggest that you perform it twice. To run an
    SFC scan, follow these steps:  

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator.  

• Type
      sfc /scannow
      and hit
      Enter.   

Method 2: Clean Boot.

To perform a
    Clean Boot, click
    here.

Note:
    Reset the computer back to
    Normal Mode
    once you are done with the troubleshooting by following the section
    "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"
    from the same article.

Method 3: Reset Update Components.

Kindly refer to
    How do I reset Windows Update
    components

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jan 1, 2019
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jan 1, 2019
Thema:

1. Help! Windows update has stopped my laptop booting normally - Similar Threads - Help update has

2. Windows Update service status is "stopped", is this normal ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update service status is "stopped", is this normal ?: HiI checked the Windows Update in windows services, the Startup Type field is set to Manual and greyed out and I can't change the option say to Automatic if I want to. The Services Status is shown as "Stopped". Are these setups for Windows Update normal ? Will these setups...
  3. HELP!! LAPTOP HAS STOP CODE: UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HELP!! LAPTOP HAS STOP CODE: UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME: According to Microsoft this is the info for the Toshiba laptop that I am trying to access:OS Edition Windows 10 HomeVersion 2009OS Build 10.0.19045.3693 System type Satellite L755DRAM 3 GBSerial 2C144507WMy laptop went into automatic update there might have been an optional...
  4. HELP!! LAPTOP HAS STOP CODE: UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HELP!! LAPTOP HAS STOP CODE: UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME: According to Microsoft this is the info for the Toshiba laptop that I am trying to access:OS Edition Windows 10 HomeVersion 2009OS Build 10.0.19045.3693 System type Satellite L755DRAM 3 GBSerial 2C144507WMy laptop went into automatic update there might have been an optional...
  5. HELP!! LAPTOP HAS STOP CODE: UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. My laptop has boot issues.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop has boot issues.: Hi, I have an Asus ZenBook running windows 11 build. Since last 2-3 months, my laptop has been acting weird. It takes well over 2 minutes to restart, on a good day. And sometimes it straight up does not start up. Whenever it happens, the power light turns on but nothing else...
  7. My laptop has boot issues.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop has boot issues.: Hi, I have an Asus ZenBook running windows 11 build. Since last 2-3 months, my laptop has been acting weird. It takes well over 2 minutes to restart, on a good day. And sometimes it straight up does not start up. Whenever it happens, the power light turns on but nothing else...
  8. Update has stopped my laptop from working

Update has stopped my laptop from working: Hi, So my HP laptop was put onto sleep, when i opened it to use it, it was half way through an update which wasn't authorised. Despite updates constantly needing doing and slowing my computer more. Now i can log onto my computer but cannot access a single thing. Nothing...
  9. Can't boot my laptop in normal mode

Can't boot my laptop in normal mode: it all started a month ago when i was playing a game on my laptop as usual. Then i decided to watch a movie and when i opened windows explorer it got stucked after it opened. Usually if something like that happens it only lasts for 30 or 40 seconds but it lasted for more than...
  10. Can't boot my laptop in normal mode

Can't boot my laptop in normal mode: it all started a month ago when i was playing a game on my laptop as usual. Then i decided to watch a movie and when i opened windows explorer it got stucked after it opened. Usually if something like that happens it only lasts for 30 or 40 seconds but it lasted for more than...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. asus gl703gm stopped booting