Windows 10: Help!!! Windows Update Install Failed, But Restart Required

Discus and support Help!!! Windows Update Install Failed, But Restart Required in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Last night Windows 10 downloaded an update. It took hours to download, and prepare for the install. In the end, History shows that the update failed to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JeffL, Nov 16, 2017.

1. JeffL Win User

Help!!! Windows Update Install Failed, But Restart Required

Last night Windows 10 downloaded an update. It took hours to download, and prepare for the install. In the end, History shows that the update failed to install, but it still wants a Restart. Restarting does not make the message go away. I now always get the Update And Restart/Shutdown options when the power icon is pressed. I ran the trouble shoot which says is found and fixed problems, but I don't see a way to redo the install or end the Restart request.

Help!!!  Windows Update Install Failed, But Restart Required [​IMG]

:)

JeffL, Nov 16, 2017

2. Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3176495) failed to update, but requires restart.

My laptop says it fails to install this update when i log back in. It then proceeds to download and attempt to install the update again and says it requires a restart, but after a restart, it says it failed to install again. Please help. Thank you

Doritobob269, Nov 16, 2017
  3. will not update "awaiting restart" 2017-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4054517)

Need help with failed updates.

Will not execute updates, reads "awaiting restart", however when I restart updates still persist,.. "awaiting restart" see failed updates below.

will not update "Requires a restart to finish installing" 2017-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4054517)

will not update "Requires a restart to finish installing" 2018-01 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4056887)

I have been waiting for a "fix" to show up in my updates, but I've havn't seen a "fix" as of yet. None of my "help with" searches offer a fix. please help, laptops keeps restarting to perform update, update will not execute.

Thank you in advance.

Chuck S.

ChuckSneed, Nov 16, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi just so you are aware of what this is- this is the major build upgrade from 1703 to 1709 (Creator's build to Fall creator's build). That's around 4Gb I guess - and is the same underlying process as Windows installation, normally requiring a couple of restarts.

There are numerous reasons why an upgrade may fail; I don't recall seeing a report of one failing quite like this reported here, but there could well have been. Certainly there are other such reports on the net.

Try the simple things: deactivate your AV if any; do a clean boot; remove any unnecessary peripherals especially wireless.

Also please post a screenshot of your partitions using Minitool Partition Wizard, expanding all columns as necessary so text is visible.
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon. Then Browse to your image, select it and upload it. E.g. png, jpg. Thanks.

For more guidance
    Take Screenshot in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials
    How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums Tutorials

You may get some more information here:
    A list of some log files:
    C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther
    The panther logs are often hidden. Configure file explorer so that you can find the hidden files.
    Locate these logs and post share links in the forum:
    setuperr.log
    setupact.log

How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums

dalchina, Nov 16, 2017
  5. JeffL Win User
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, but I was continuing my research before taking any action on your suggestions, and I was trying something else (that took a long time).

Bottom line is that it is fixed.

This problem was on a Lenovo Mixx 2-1 tablet, so there were no peripherals involved.
    I didn't know about the new Fall update, and I had clicked on Check for Updates, which started the update process. If I'd known I wouldn't have done that, and just waited until it came through with my forcing it.

So, here's what I did - I went to the Microsoft Update Assistant Web Page, Download Windows 10 and ran the download/install from there. After a few nervous hours of it doing it's thing, the tablet rebooted with 1709 installed up and running, and the Restart messages gone.

JeffL, Nov 16, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Glad to hear it worked out. It would have been tricky to intervene with that. You're also fortunate not to have run into space problems- although that one seems to have more storage than some.

dalchina, Nov 17, 2017
  7. JeffL Win User
    Just noticed a typo. That should have said Lenovo Miix 320. 64GB, so it did have room.

Thanks, again.

JeffL, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Help!!! Windows Update Install Failed, But Restart Required - Similar Threads - Help Update Install

2. Windows Update fails to install on restart.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update fails to install on restart.: I have this issue for past 1 month whenever i try to update my windows 10, it is downloading and installed but when restarting it fails at 98% and says "we couldn't complete the update undoing changes". While checking with trouble shooter, it says pending restart required. I...
  3. Windows Update fails to install on restart.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update fails to install on restart.: I have this issue for past 1 month whenever i try to update my windows 10, it is downloading and installed but when restarting it fails at 98% and says "we couldn't complete the update undoing changes". While checking with trouble shooter, it says pending restart required. I...
  4. Windows Update fails to install on restart.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Help required for updating windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help required for updating windows: Hi, I am trying to update my pc to the latest patches but it seems that I can't update it. I haven't been updating my pc since February 2021, and now when I try to install new updates, I get an error with error code 0x800703f1. I tried doing sfc /scannow but it does not start...
  6. Update dowloads, installs then fails on restart

Update dowloads, installs then fails on restart: Trying to update 2020-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems KB4556799 Have attempted several times over past weeks. Latest attempt produced this message - "Last failed install attempt on ‎05-‎Jun-‎20 - 0x80070005" Have tried...
  7. Windows updates the require restart

Windows updates the require restart: Windows update said it required to restart. Said yeah sure and restarted, got black screen stayed like that for 20 minutes. Then I forced a shut off. Windows asked me to restart again after I turned the computer back on. Instead I waited a few days then tried it again. It's...
  8. Update from April requires a restart to install, but it won't install

Update from April requires a restart to install, but it won't install: This update claims it requires restarting, but there is no prompt to restart nor do restarts work to install it. KB4495666 in Quality Updates, second Cumulative Update. Windows insider slow ring. Build 18362.86 while this update is for 18362.53. Is this a problem or am I...
  9. Windows 10 1809 Update Requires a restart to finish installing

Windows 10 1809 Update Requires a restart to finish installing: Hello So I got the news that Microsoft pulled the 1809 update after users missing files. My laptop already downloaded the update and giving me "Windows 10 1809 Update Requires a restart to finish installing" in update history ! what should I do to cancel the installation ?...
  10. Requires a restart to finish installing

Requires a restart to finish installing: I have restarted my pc for many times and I have used the troubleshooter for many times.still it shows me in my update history the following.can anyone help me?? Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809 Requires a restart to finish installing...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. will windows update restart computer without a login required?

2. A windows update installed but said it failed