Windows 10: Help With Activating Windows And Access To a Hard Drive

Discus and support Help With Activating Windows And Access To a Hard Drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Recently I had to change out stuff from my computer due to it being outdated and the motherboard not working, so I bought a new motherboard (B450... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by lunarintent, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Help With Activating Windows And Access To a Hard Drive

Recently I had to change out stuff from my computer due to it being outdated and the motherboard not working, so I bought a new motherboard (B450 Tomahawk) and a new processor (Ryzen 2400G). I put everything back together and when I tried to start it up it would always go into a repair loop. I did some research and I found out I had to get another hard drive to be able to run windows properly, so I did. Everything installed correctly but now I have two more issues; I don't know how to activate windows since I don't have the activation key even though the license is linked to my account, and I can't access my files on my hard drive. Whenever I try to set the permissions to me it pops up with the error "Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied." I can't change everything back due to the other motherboard being broken and it won't let me start up with just my old hard drive from the broken motherboard. I have a lot of files that I need off of it so if anyone could help I'd be really thankful.

:)

lunarintent, Jan 16, 2019

2. Unable to access the external hard drive after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi Alan,

As you are facing issues with accessing the external hard drive after upgrading to Windows 10, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your devices?
    • What exactly happens when you try to access the drive?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?
    • Were you able to detect the device under Device Manager/ File Explorer?

Step 1: As a workaround, I suggest you to do the following to detect the issue:

• Connect the hard drive to different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Connect different hard drive to the same port and check.
    • Connect different hard drives to different ports and check.

Step 2: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter

Step 3: I suggest you to check if there are any drivers with yellow exclamatory mark in the Device Manager.

• Press Windows + X from the keyboard, click on
      Device Manager
    • Right click on the detected driver, click on Properties
      and check the device status.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue with the required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 16, 2019
  3. little cat, Jan 16, 2019
  4. Help With Activating Windows And Access To a Hard Drive

Unable to access external hard drive after Anniversay Update on Windows 10

Hello,

Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• What is the make and model of your devices?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code while trying to access the hard drive?

Step 1: As a workaround, I suggest you to do the following to detect the issue:

• Connect the hard drive to different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Connect different hard drive to the same port and check.
    • Connect different hard drives to different ports and check.

Step 2: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter

Step 3: I suggest you to contact the device manufacturer's website, download the latest chipset drivers, install them manually and check if it helps.

Installing the latest chipset drivers will help you to install the drivers for USB ports.

Refer to the article by Andre Da Costa to install drivers in compatibility mode manually :
    How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of accessing external hard drive for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 16, 2019
Thema:

Help With Activating Windows And Access To a Hard Drive

1. Help With Activating Windows And Access To a Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Help Activating Access

2. hard drive help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hard drive help: hi guys I have a question on ssd and a m.2 drive, I just upgraded to a 1TB black edition NVME WD M.2 ,i upgraded from a samsung 500 ssd along with a 245 gig ssd. the 500 gig and 245 gig both are not connected at this time.i want to add them as additional storage,both had an...
  3. No access to hard drive

No access to hard drive: I have a windows 10 and a hard drive that I can not access. It shows on the computer, when I click on it, either it freezes or nothing happens. Ive tried update drive and unistall but nothing seems to work. I have even tried switching usp ports, nothing seem to fix the...
  4. Issue with accessing hard drive

Issue with accessing hard drive: I go to the Control panel where I can find my HD. However the Disk management shows that the HD Not Initialized, unallocated... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/issue-with-accessing-hard-drive/6ac8c0d3-3297-48a2-9adb-0ddf3a410a4c
  5. Dead hard drive with activated windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dead hard drive with activated windows: Recently, my hard drive died with windows 10 home installed on it. I do not have the key for it however, because it was a laptop that included a copy of windows 10. I was wondering if there was any way that i would be able to install it on the new hard drive, which is taking...
  6. External Hard Drive No Access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Drive No Access: My external Seagate Backup Plus Drive shows up as E:\ when I plug it in but is not able to be accessed. I could see under right click properties that it was an NTFS drive and the name but zero for used, free, and capacity. I could get in from the command prompt and got one...
  7. remote hard drive access

remote hard drive access: Hello; I replaced a hard drive in a laptop with a SSD cloned, it works fine. Bought a case for the drive removed, but when I connect it via usb, the drive powers up, and I get the icon showing a usb connection, but the drive doesn't show up in the tree. I left the...
  8. Windows activation - changing hard drives

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows activation - changing hard drives: Hi I'm considering changing my boot drive, currently a standard drive for and SSD and then reinstalling Windows on it. Will that have an affect on Windows reactivating on my computer due to a hardware change? My current install was from the free updates some while back....
  9. External Hard drive not accessible

External Hard drive not accessible: My external hard drive was unplugged accidently. When i plugged it back into the computer, it recogonized a previous error with it and was in the process of fixing those errors automatically when it was accidentally unplugged again. Now when i plug in my external drive the...
  10. Can't access old Hard Drive, need help!

Can't access old Hard Drive, need help!: I'm new to this forum, and here's what happened. My old Windows XP Desktop stopped running 2 weeks ago, with a No OS Found error. Since then I've taken the hard drive out and connected it to my new Windows 10 desktop with a USB 2.0 to SATA Adapter. It does not show up in...