Windows 10: Help with Boot Order in a dual drive laptop

Discus and support Help with Boot Order in a dual drive laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all. So my friend just installed a SATA SSD in his DVD Rom using a caddy. I helped him cloned his Windows 10 from his HDD to SSD already. We... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TAN CHEE PING, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Help with Boot Order in a dual drive laptop

Hi all.

So my friend just installed a SATA SSD in his DVD Rom using a caddy. I helped him cloned his Windows 10 from his HDD to SSD already.

We managed to boot into the SSD using the Windows 10 Advanced Startup by booting from DVD Rom, got a boot device not found error, followed by Boot Manager menu. I can see HDD and SSD option there, selecting SSD on the 2nd row boot successfully.

However, upon restart, it goes back to HDD again. So we formatted the HDD Windows partitions and restart. But we got automatic repair menu, followed by Advanced Startup which we can boot into SSD by selecting boot from HDD/SSD.

How do I make sure the laptop will always boot from SSD now?

Option in BIOS does not seem to carry SSD exactly.

See the pictures attached: https://imgur.com/a/hEgefFD

:)

TAN CHEE PING, Jun 27, 2020
  2. Nick!!! Win User

Boot Order Help

Hi,

I would like some help to optimise my boot order.

My preference is:

1. USB
    2. CDDVDW
    3. C: Drive where windows is installed
    Refer to picture below which shows my current setup.

Question

1. Is this order inline for my preference above?
    2. Will the CDDVDW also boot USB?
    3. If answer to 2) is no how do I add USB boot as option as 1) is there a way to do it.

Help with Boot Order in a dual drive laptop 81351213-3c11-4d64-a2d4-dad860d60936?upload=true.jpg

Any help appreciated, thanks.

thanks,

Nick.

Nick!!!, Jun 27, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Jun 27, 2020
  4. Help with Boot Order in a dual drive laptop

Help on Dual Boot

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you would like to dual boot the computer.

I would like to inform you that, it is possible to install Windows 10, only if Windows XP is preinstalled on the computer. If
    you are trying to install Windows XP just to run a particular software, I suggest you to run the program in compatibility mode and check if it helps.

I suggest you to run the program in Compatibility mode, please follow the below steps:

1) Right click on the Program

2) Click on Properties

3) Click on Compatibility tab

4) Select Run this program in compatibility mode and select the operating system accordingly from the drop down list.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jun 27, 2020
Thema:

Help with Boot Order in a dual drive laptop

1. Help with Boot Order in a dual drive laptop - Similar Threads - Help Boot Order

2. HELP WITH DUAL DRIVES!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HELP WITH DUAL DRIVES!: I need help I recently just reset my whole PC but been trying to setup my dual drives as my SSD as my main but everytime I do it says "media key must be inserted" WIth a black screen....
  3. HELP WITH DUAL DRIVES!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HELP WITH DUAL DRIVES!: I need help I recently just reset my whole PC but been trying to setup my dual drives as my SSD as my main but everytime I do it says "media key must be inserted" WIth a black screen....
  4. HELP WITH DUAL DRIVES!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Dual Boot Windows System on Two SSDs Installed in a Dual Drive 17" Laptop

Dual Boot Windows System on Two SSDs Installed in a Dual Drive 17" Laptop: I have two separate Windows installations on two separate SSDs, but only a single 17" laptop. Initially, I was thinking I would keep opening up the laptop and switching between the two SSDs. Then it occurred to me that it was a lot less work and less risk of accidentally...
  6. Dual boot fail help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot fail help: So I was installing Kali Linux on the other half of my 1TB SSD in the new asus pro duo laptop i got in order to have a dual boot between windows which i had recently upgraded to windows 11 like 3 days prior to this happening. The first time went fine, no errors on the...
  7. Dual boot fail help

Dual boot fail help: So I was installing Kali Linux on the other half of my 1TB SSD in the new asus pro duo laptop i got in order to have a dual boot between windows which i had recently upgraded to windows 11 like 3 days prior to this happening. The first time went fine, no errors on the...
  8. Need help in Dual Boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help in Dual Boot: I have a PC with 2 SSD and an NVMe . I have Windows 10 installed on NVMe And have a free SSD and I want to install Linux ( OpenSUSE ) on a free SSD . I want to Setup dual boot on it but I have no idea how to do it and I doubt that it is possible via NVMe and SSD pathway . If...
  9. Problems encrypting Win10 drive on dual-boot laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Problems encrypting Win10 drive on dual-boot laptop: I recently had to travel, and several times had to leave my laptop unattended. This made me realize how vulnerable it was to theft, so I have decided to encrypt the drive, or at least my personal files on the drive. The laptop (a Dell Latitude E6430) has Windows 10 Pro and...
  10. Help with dual boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Help with dual boot: Hey everyone, I currently have a hard drive with Windows 10 installed on it, and I want to dual boot it with an older version like Windows 7 or XP. (Just for nostalgia:p) Microsoft said to install the older one first or my computer would be screwed, but the newer one is...