Windows 10: Help with booting windows from new SSD

Discus and support Help with booting windows from new SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Dear all, I recently bought a new SSD with the intention to run Windows and other programs from it, because my old HDD became terribly slow.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by FlorisB95, Sep 27, 2018.

1. FlorisB95 Win User

Help with booting windows from new SSD

Dear all,

I recently bought a new SSD with the intention to run Windows and other programs from it, because my old HDD became terribly slow.

Setting it up turned out to be a little more difficult than expected. There's a lot of information on this topic available but I haven't been able to find definitive answers to my questions.

First of all, just how should I go about this? Unplugging old HDD, plugging in the SSD and restart/reinstall? Will the files stay on my HDD? If easier, I'm willing to just completely wipe everything, since most of my important files are in the cloud and on a different laptop. I mainly use this PC for gaming.

I read that Windows can be installed on the new drive without a problem, but in 2013, I bought Windows 8.1 Pro and upgraded to Windows 10 after, however Windows 10 is not free anymore now.. Can I still upgrade to Windows 10 after reinstalling? Also, I only have a product key, no usb/cd with installation program.. Does this matter? If so, how do I get a usb/cd with an installation program?

Hope one of you can help me out!

Floris

:)

FlorisB95, Sep 27, 2018

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Sep 27, 2018
  3. A-Data Ships XPG SX95 and S592 SSDs with New Windows 7 TRIM Firmware

Hmm somethings a miss there, namely the fact there are only 3 features listed twice *Roll Eyes Help with booting windows from new SSD :rolleyes:

InTeL-iNsIdE, Sep 27, 2018
  4. Help with booting windows from new SSD

New ssd not booting up, please help

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a new ssd and installed it into my laptop. I then cloned all my data from my old hard drive onto the new ssd. However, when I tried booting up from my ssd, it said bootmgr is missing. I can boot up from my old hard drive just fine, and
    the exact same files are on the ssd. My hard drive is unbearably slow to boot up from. Please help.

MahirRahman, Sep 27, 2018
Thema:

Help with booting windows from new SSD

1. Help with booting windows from new SSD - Similar Threads - Help booting SSD

2. Issue with a new SSD and Windows Boot manager

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issue with a new SSD and Windows Boot manager: Recently I did install a new SSD into my Aurora R7. I've unplugged my HDD, installed the SSD, used Windows on an USB and installed the Windows on the SSD. Then formatted the HDD. It works fine and my computer boots in seconds but if I go to BIOS and try to change the boot...
  3. Is it possible to boot Windows 10 from Caddy SSD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it possible to boot Windows 10 from Caddy SSD?: I am purchasing new laptop which comes with DOS and I dont want to open screws etc of laptop to change Harddrive into SSD. I have Samsung 840 PRO SSD. So, is it possible if I install Windows 10 on SSD and boot it from Caddy instead of Harddrive? Regards. 119343
  4. Removing windows os from SSD and boot from hdd

Removing windows os from SSD and boot from hdd: I have cloned my ssd to hdd using macrium and used easybcd for dual booting.but now i only want to boot from hdd and remove windows os from ssd.what should i do?...
  5. Can't boot Windows, or boot Windows Repair from SSD or USB

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't boot Windows, or boot Windows Repair from SSD or USB: My computer isn't able to boot, but more worryingly, I also can't seem to get the Windows Automatic Repair to work. I also am not able to get Windows Repair from USB to work. When I try any of these options, I initially get a black screen with a cyan-ish Windows logo. After...
  6. New Computer with boot from SSD & old computer's boot HDD as secondary

in Windows 10 Support
    New Computer with boot from SSD & old computer's boot HDD as secondary: Greetings. I just built a new computer with an SSD boot drive and the boot HDD from the old computer as a second drive. Both drives have Win10-1803 on them, and each is bootable in the new PC. In the interest of conserving space on the SSD, I want to install programs on both...
  7. change HDD and boot from file.vhd in new SSD

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    change HDD and boot from file.vhd in new SSD: Hi, i have a windows 10 laptop,i have bought a SSD because i want to change my old HDD, i have just created a VHD file and now i would like to set boot loader to get it started from my FILE.VHD in my new SSD. i have win 10 dvd-rom, but i don't want reinstall everything. i...
  8. Getting an new SSD to boot after imaging it from an old SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Getting an new SSD to boot after imaging it from an old SSD: I bought a Samsung sm951 to replace my 840 Pro. The sm951 was installed in a PCI slot using an adapter which gave it 4 lanes for data usage. I imaged my 850 Pro SSD and then I restored the image to the sm951 SSD, but the computer would not boot from the new drive, saying that...
  9. Dual boot with refined? New help from an old install.

Dual boot with refined? New help from an old install.: Way before windows 10, I was running windows 8.1 and wanted to try Ubuntu. I didn't want to mess up my windows so I searched for dual boot. I believe I ran across this Install Ubuntu 14.04 alongside Windows 8.1 in 10 easy steps and followed it to the "T" but I do recall...
  10. Help with new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Help with new SSD: I currently had 256GB SSD in my PC and that was getting full so I bought a Samsung 1TB SSD to put in my PC to use as the primary hard drive. I don't want to lose all my data so I chose to use the Samsung software to migrate all of the data from the 256GB onto the new 1TB. I...