Windows 10: Help with changing wifi password?

Discus and support Help with changing wifi password? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Recently was advised to change my wifi password. Although I can handle myself when using my browser, I do have trouble when dealing with networking and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by flycaster, Nov 9, 2016.

1. flycaster Win User

Help with changing wifi password?

Recently was advised to change my wifi password. Although I can handle myself when using my browser, I do have trouble when dealing with networking and wifi. So, my question is: Do I have to just change the PW on windows 10 (if so, how,) or is there more to it...if so, what do I have to do? Thanks.

:)

flycaster, Nov 9, 2016

2. Using Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 10 March 2016 (KB890830)

In Windows 10, once you have installed the following as a bundle: Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - March 2016 (KB890830) - using the usual windows update, how do you locate the
    file, open the file to use the file to take advantage of the full features of the windows Malicious Software Removal Tool? Thank you.

Help With Spam, Nov 9, 2016
  3. Mouse cursor contsantly blinking and not working properly

I have the same problem. It will not let me select when the mouse pointer is flashing. I have to wait for the computer to be on for awhile to stop the flashing.

I have reinstalled the mouse software and updated the driver.

Any suggestions?

Help with license, Nov 9, 2016
  4. Help with changing wifi password?

The Windows password and your WiFi password are different. To change your WiFi password, you need to login to your router. In most cases, you can access your router by entering 192.168.1.1 in your browser. That should bring up your router interface. You can change the password using the router interface.

TexasBandit, Nov 9, 2016
  5. TairikuOkami, Nov 9, 2016
  6. flycaster Win User
    Thanks, but I just got the following message when trying and don't know what to do:

"The connection has timed out

The server at 192.168.1.107 is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

EDIT: I found my wifi url (different than the one you suggested,) and my PW for it. Got on to the Linksys/Cisco site. Went to the Administration tab>Management and there were two fields: "Router Password" and "Re-enter to confirm." Within each field is a series of dots and at the end of the dots is a red circle with a lock inside icon. How do I proceed from here as I don't see anything indicting "change of password," if I am in the right place?

flycaster, Nov 9, 2016
  7. Samuria Win User
    You often have to enter the old password and then the new one there maybe other password it sounds as if you trying got change admin one which is for login you want under wireless the wifi one

Samuria, Nov 9, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

That section is for the password you enter to get into the routers settings. You need to go to your WiFi or wireless settings page, look for the security options, and the WiFi password will be listed as either Password, or Key, or WPA Key.

On my router it's the Password (Network Key) block:

Help with changing wifi password? [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Nov 9, 2016
  9. flycaster Win User
    So are you saying that I should enter my "PW" into the field and then I will get to the wifi or wireless settings page?

flycaster, Nov 9, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    It's hard to say without knowing/seeing exactly which page you are on. Are you actually inside your router's setup webpage (which it sounds like you are)? Then you should have already entered your router password once to get into the settings. Next you need to look for Wireless or WiFi setup instead of the Administration tab. See in my screenshot on the left column, I am in the Setup->Wireless Setup tab, not the Administration tab,

NavyLCDR, Nov 9, 2016
  11. flycaster Win User
    Yeah, been doing a little googling and now see I should be in Wireless and not Administration. Thanks.

EDIT: Well, maybe not so as this site--http://www.tech-faq.com/linksys-router-password.html-- (and others) say the way to change the PW is to go to Administration>Management. Read Steps 5,6,7 under Changing the Router’s Password Via Web Setup.

flycaster, Nov 9, 2016
  12. Winuser Win User
    Just what to add that most routers use admin as the user and password as the password to access the router until the user changes it.

Winuser, Nov 10, 2016
  13. Help with changing wifi password?

The reference to "Administration" is referring to the "Administration" selection on the router. Login to the router and go to "Administration" etc.

TexasBandit, Nov 10, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    @flycaster, did you get your WiFi password changed?

NavyLCDR, Nov 10, 2016
  15. flycaster Win User
    Not yet as the reply in post #11 (just before yours) has me confused. I need a simple "yes" or "no" for the following:

EDIT: Well, maybe not so as this site--http://www.tech-faq.com/linksys-router-password.html-- (and others) say the way to change the PW is to go to Administration>Management. Read Steps 5,6,7 under Changing the Router’s Password Via Web Setup.

flycaster, Nov 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Help with changing wifi password? - Similar Threads - Help changing wifi

2. need help changing password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    need help changing password: Greetings. My Hotmail account has been hacked and I desperately need to change the password. The issue at hand is that in order to do so, one must receive a code for a secondary email account, which I created over a decade ago, haven't used since, and whose password...
  3. need help changing password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    need help changing password: Greetings. My Hotmail account has been hacked and I desperately need to change the password. The issue at hand is that in order to do so, one must receive a code for a secondary email account, which I created over a decade ago, haven't used since, and whose password...
  4. need help changing password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Account Password Change Help

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Account Password Change Help: I bought my Windows key with my wife's student email and the Microsoft account is linked to this email. The pin to log into Windows stopped working and neither of us remembers the password. When attempting to change the password, the email listed to send the reset code to is...
  6. Change of WiFi password

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change of WiFi password: I have two printers connected wirelessly to my computer via WiFi.If I change the WiFi password, is there a way to update the password in the printers or do I need re-install the printers?Thanks...
  7. Changing WIFI password

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing WIFI password: I am using a HP laptop with windows 10. How do I change the password to my WIFI? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-wifi-password/ea31a3ae-9b5b-46c1-a381-45bd8eb3eaf7
  8. wifi password change

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    wifi password change: I think someone is piggybacking on my wifi. How can I find out and how can I change the wifi password to stop it. Or any other suggestions would be appreciated. Sandy...
  9. Change WiFi Password on Printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change WiFi Password on Printer: Hi, I Have changed my wifi password and my printer is now 'offline'. How do I change the password for the printer please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/change-wifi-password-on-printer/57cddbf8-7b13-4da9-bf39-86b0b670180b
  10. CHANGE WIFI PASSWORD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CHANGE WIFI PASSWORD: Does anyone know how to change the password to connect to WiFi? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/change-wifi-password/c848da39-922a-4116-848b-49d409a12944