Windows 10: Help with Completing Install remove dual boot

Discus and support Help with Completing Install remove dual boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Any help with the best steps forward to complete my install would be greatly appreciated. My setup is that this summer I created a partition on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by wah00kid, Dec 5, 2015.

1. wah00kid Win User

Help with Completing Install remove dual boot

Any help with the best steps forward to complete my install would be greatly appreciated.

My setup is that this summer I created a partition on my system SSD for the Preview. I ran it for a while dual booting Win 7 and the Preview.

Sometime this fall I upgraded my Win 7 following the normal steps. I have stopped using the preview and my machine prompts me every time as to which I want to boot into.

I would like to eliminate the partition with the preview and then extend my current partition to use all of my 100gb SSD.

I have already given myself a restore point with the Windows backup as well as a disk image with Clonezilla so I feel pretty good about my backup situation right now.

Here is what I am thinking:
    In disk management just deleting the extra partition and then extending my current partition to use the free space.

I could also use a SysRescue linux live usb to bring up gparted to do this as well.

Will this work. Will windows understand that the preview is gone and boot straight into my system volume or will it continue to ask me to choose a volume? Will this create some other sort of problem.

Are there steps I need to take before doing this if I hose this up some how and just end up wanting to do a clean install?

I have attached a screen grab of my current disk layout.

Thanks for any effort to help me out.

:)

wah00kid, Dec 5, 2015

2. magic jack window is OK but on post 14257 preview builds

Workaround,

After disk cleanup shrnk the 14393 volume by 25 Gb .

Boot from 10586 ISO and install using "Custom Install". to the newly created unallocated space .

On first restart remove boot media {usb or DVD).

Complete the install and use magicJack on this O.S.

This will give you dual boot,

This works for now.

Edward Gentile, Dec 5, 2015
  3. Adam.Kay Win User
    Move system partition from unwanted OS (WinXP) to current OS (Win10)

Hi! I currently have a dual boot setup with Windows XP and Windows 10. I am loving Windows 10 and I want to remove Windows XP from my dual-boot configuration (and remove the whole dual-boot thing completely)
    but it also acts as the system partition, so I guess it's not as straight-forward as I had hoped. Is there a way to make my Windows 10 partition the system partition?

Help with Completing Install remove dual boot [​IMG]

Adam.Kay, Dec 5, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

• Boot into Windows 10.
    • Win+R ->Msconfig
    • Click on Boot tab then delete the entry of Windows 10 Preview
    • Open DisK Management then delete the Logical Drive
    • Reboot

topgundcp, Dec 5, 2015
  5. CountMike New Member
    If you are not comfortable doing that. EasyBCD program can do that for you.

CountMike, Dec 5, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Do you want to keep the recovery partition that is between your C: drive and D: drive partitions? I would recommend you install MiniTool Partition Wizard Free:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

You will delete your logical drive D: partition. Move the 449mb recovery partition to the end of the drive. Then once the empty space is next to the C: drive partition you can expand it into the empty space.

And yes, either use msconfig or easybcd to delete the boot menu entry for the Windows preview.

NavyLCDR, Dec 5, 2015
  7. wah00kid Win User
    Okay I'm good on what topgundcp suggested.

Followed those steps without problem thanks!!!

Now onto the partition manager. I think I will try minipartition to delete the 30gb partition and move the 400mb recovery to the end and then add the 30gb onto the 70gb.

That program will let me play with those partitions while I'm up and running off the 70 gb volume??

wah00kid, Dec 6, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Yes. When you click apply, let it reboot and do the partition adjustments.

NavyLCDR, Dec 6, 2015
  9. wah00kid Win User
    muchas gracia navylcdr!!!

mini partition was a piece of cake.. it didnt even need to reboot

wah00kid, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Help with Completing Install remove dual boot - Similar Threads - Help Completing Install

2. Help me to remove dual boot ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help me to remove dual boot ?: So actually I had to install Ubuntu but not on dual boot so what happened when my work was die o tried to reinstall windows 11 using a bootable usb when the process ended it took me to a screen where it asked me to choose one operating system windows on volume 3 or windows...
  3. Help me to remove dual boot ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help me to remove dual boot ?: So actually I had to install Ubuntu but not on dual boot so what happened when my work was die o tried to reinstall windows 11 using a bootable usb when the process ended it took me to a screen where it asked me to choose one operating system windows on volume 3 or windows...
  4. Removing CentOS Dual Boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Removing CentOS Dual Boot: Hello! I have a Dell Precision 3551, which I dual booted to run CentOS 8 with Windows 10. Now that I don't need Linux, I needed to remove the dual boot. I deleted the partition and created Windows 10 installation media on a USB. BUT... After booting to my USB, going to...
  5. Help needed, removing/merging dual boot

Help needed, removing/merging dual boot: Hi I have a system with dual boot, as you can see I have 3 partitions on disk 0: vista, win10, and factory image. I have already removed the boot menu in msconfig and set win10 as default, but now I'm faced with the issue that the unwanted partition is the system partition...
  6. Dual boot remove

Dual boot remove: Hi ...anyone help me to remove window 10 and kali dual boot...i want only windows 10 [ Moved from: Mobile devices / Other Windows mobile devices / Settings / Other/Unknown ]...
  7. Remove Ubuntu dual-boot

Remove Ubuntu dual-boot: I currently have a Surface Pro 1 with Windows 10 that also has Ubuntu installed on it as well. I would like to remove Ubuntu and restore the default Windows boot manager. Right now, it's currently doing a Windows 10 reset (Remove all files from all drives and clean them),...
  8. Remove dual boot - Ubuntu

Remove dual boot - Ubuntu: Hi, I am running Widows 10 on a UEFI/EFI/GPT system. I'd like to try and install a Linux OS on another partition. Installing is not a problem my question relates to if I decide to remove Ubuntu, how will I repair my Window's bootloader? I've been doing a lot of reading on...
  9. Help with dual boot

Help with dual boot: Hey everyone, I currently have a hard drive with Windows 10 installed on it, and I want to dual boot it with an older version like Windows 7 or XP. (Just for nostalgia:p) Microsoft said to install the older one first or my computer would be screwed, but the newer one is...
  10. Dual boot Windows installs completely independent of each other?

Dual boot Windows installs completely independent of each other?: Say I want to dual boot Win 10 and Win 7 (I have the license keys), does it matter which I install first? Or Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Home? And to keep things clean, let's say I remove the drive letter from the install that is not active. Will that cause any problems because one...