Windows 10: Help with failed backups

Discus and support Help with failed backups in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Using Win 10 (v 2004/OS Build 19041.746) and Macrium Reflect, I started getting a VSS Writer error. This occurred, as you would expect, during the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 66gary81, Jan 23, 2021.

1. 66gary81 Win User

Help with failed backups

Using Win 10 (v 2004/OS Build 19041.746) and Macrium Reflect, I started getting a VSS Writer error. This occurred, as you would expect, during the opening volume snapshot of the backup (full image to external HD, done weekly). Macrium would then retry without VSS writers and finish the backup successfully. That lasted a week or two, then I could not conclude a backup at all. There were usually at least 2, sometimes more writers reporting failed states. I contacted Macrium support, danced with them for a week, and they concluded it was a Windows problem and I should go bother Microsoft. Much of what I found researching on-line pertains to servers, and this is a single Toshiba laptop. I've used Macrium for nearly a decade, through several iterations of Windows, and never had problems. I don't know whether something has been corrupted, if there's a utility out there that might work. Has anyone dealt with a similar problem?

:)

66gary81, Jan 23, 2021
  2. msaba497 Win User

Backup fails

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did Step 1 OK.

Doing Step 2: Volume Shadow Copy is already running, but I have no SPP Notification Service in the list of services!

I just tried to backup, and it failed again!

Back in August when the Backup failed, someone told me about STARTING VSS. I did that then, and it appears to be running since then. He did not say anything about SPP. I replied to him, but he disappeared!

M. Saba

msaba497, Jan 23, 2021
  3. Bokenzhe Win User
    Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

Question

• Help with failed backups [​IMG]

Applies to

5 views Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

My backup stubbornly refuses to run. I can't run the initial backup, therefore the file history backups don't run either. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Suggestions I've received have not worked so far. Following is the problem
    and the failed resolution attempts:

• I get this message from the Event Log:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID - 201

Level: Error

User - System

*** ---- There is no config file at this directory location. The contents of the location are:

catalog1

catalog2

config1

config2

• In another thread from July, someone suggested checking a particular service (I forget the name just now) is running. It is.

• Two days ago a Microsoft employee suggested the following steps. These steps resulted in no change, still no backup:

KA

Karthicka_R replied on

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and
      check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

• I performed these steps multiple times. The backup still crashes, with the same error message. In addition I collected the following error message, but only one time:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 200

• Can anyone help me with this stubborn problem?

Thank you in advance.

Bokenzhe, Jan 23, 2021
  4. Help with failed backups

help to remote connect

not sure how to use both programs u 2 suggested, i need more helpful steps thanks

Corduroy_Jr, Jan 23, 2021
Thema:

Help with failed backups

1. Help with failed backups - Similar Threads - Help failed backups

2. Backup Fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup Fails: I have three PCs on my home network. Two of them are running Win 10 pro, and one is running Win 10 home. One of the Win 10 Pro PCs has an external hard drive connected to it USB that I use for backups using the Win 7 Backup and Restore facility. The PC running Win 10 Home...
  3. Backup Fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup Fails: I have three PCs on my home network. Two of them are running Win 10 pro, and one is running Win 10 home. One of the Win 10 Pro PCs has an external hard drive connected to it USB that I use for backups using the Win 7 Backup and Restore facility. The PC running Win 10 Home...
  4. Backup Fails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Help with failed backups

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Help with failed backups: Using Win 10 (v 2004/OS Build 19041.746) and Macrium Reflect, I started getting a VSS Writer error. This occurred, as you would expect, during the opening volume snapshot of the backup (full image to external HD, done weekly). Macrium would then retry without VSS writers and...
  6. Backup fail

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup fail: My iphone fail to back up but it still used 22gb of hard disk space that i can’t get back. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-fail/072bedc5-c70b-4fa5-b9c8-3b97a88cfcf8"
  7. Backup fails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Backup fails: Dear reader, Thank you to take some of your precious time to read my post and help me solve the following problem with the system backup Following latest windows update version: 10.0.17134 build 17134 ASUS T200TA ; Windows10 version: 10.0.17134 build 17134 There is no...
  8. Backup fails

Backup fails: My win 7 backup on a win 10 machine fails. There is an inadequate message. There is 375 GB free space. It stops after creating three folders. 72415
  9. backup failing

backup failing: Hi, My backup is failing ( three times) with 0x80780065. There are three backup sets \\EXTERNALDRIVE\FranksBackups\FRANKSPC\Backup Set 2015-06-01 070022 98,038 Files, 536 Folders \\EXTERNALDRIVE\FranksBackups\FRANKSPC\Backup Set 2016-01-21 181147 691 Files, 7 Folders...
  10. Backup fails with "check your backup"

Backup fails with "check your backup": Surface 3 128GB with 128GB microSD card External empty 3TB WD hard drive formatted as NTFS Configured backup to backup both the internal SSD and the microSD card, total used about 100GB. Backup repeatedly fails with: Check your backup The last backup did not complete...