Windows 10: Help with formatting 4tb hdd?

Discus and support Help with formatting 4tb hdd? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I recently built my first PC, and have been having some issues formatting the hard drive properly. Windows 10 is installed on a separate 500gb ssd, so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/123cms, May 5, 2020.

1. /u/123cms Win User

Help with formatting 4tb hdd?

I recently built my first PC, and have been having some issues formatting the hard drive properly. Windows 10 is installed on a separate 500gb ssd, so it is empty, except for a partition called "System Reserved" which takes up ~600mb and is preventing me from converting from mbt to gpt, which I understand will allow me to format more than 2tb.

Can anybody help me out? Much appreciated.

submitted by /u/123cms
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/123cms, May 5, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Cannot Format HD

Need to initialize it as GPT disk type with HD > 2TB:
    From Admin command prompt:
    1. diskpart
    2. list disk =====> Take a note of disk # for the 4TB HD
    3. select disk # ====> From step 2
    4. clean
    5. exit
    Open Disk Management and initialize the disk as GPT, create simple then format.

topgundcp, May 5, 2020
  3. Windows update 1803 formats secondary 4TB HDD from GPT to MBR

OK. After rechecking, it seems that the 1803 never took:

Help with formatting 4tb hdd? [​IMG]

I scanned for Malware and Viruses and nothing was found (iolo System Shield & Malware Killer latest version with latest definitions updated this morning), so now I am leaning towards a muffed installation of the update which, for some reason did a re-install of the last 1709 update. When I initially set the computer up, I had to set up the drive as GPT using DiskPart from the recovery option of the installation media as it wouldn't work within the OS. After I did that, everything was working like clockwork up until these failed installation of 1803. Now, the OS won't even initialize the disk to GPT as it reports the disk size as too small:

As you can see, this is a 4TB HDD which Windows reports as working properly but does not report the volume info:

I am in the midst of doing the manual 1803 update to see if it will actually install and possible fix the issue. I am not holding out much hope for this though and I am bracing myself for a total re-install. I believe I can download the 1803 media from the same page you can manually initiate the 1803 update, so I will try using that instead of my original media; however, I am a little concerned doing this with all of the things I have read about this release not activating properly.

I am also removing the 4TB HDD and putting it in my external to run diagnostics and a scan on it to make sure it is not corrupt for some reason. It should not be as it has been in operation for less than 6 months and was an unused spare I acquired from my company's IT store liquidation.

Please let me know your thoughts and any suggestions you may have. Thank you for responding so quickly.

CousinEerie, May 5, 2020
  4. Azza88 Win User

4TB WD HDD not working

Good afternoon

Last week I bought a brand new 4TB Western digital HDD for my PC. I plugged it in, went into Disk Management and it came up no problem. I then formatted it, gave it a letter and started copying some files to the HDD. Mid way through copying, it stopped copying files for some reason and so i cancelled the copy. I then restarted my computer. Now only BIOS says there is a HDD and Windows no longer recognizes it at all. It now also takes around 5 minutes to boot my computer up whenever it is plugged in. Tried the HDD on several other computers but it was undetectable. It no longer comes up in Disk Management and so I can no longer reformat it.

Any advice or software suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Azza88, May 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Help with formatting 4tb hdd? - Similar Threads - Help formatting 4tb

2. Help with formatting internal HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help with formatting internal HDD: I have an HP Desktop with a C: 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD and D:1 TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD.I going to install a larger SSD, clone the small SSD and use the new SSD as the boot drive. The D: drive had no data on it.However, I thought I'd test the cloning process first and cloned...
  3. Help with formatting internal HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help with formatting internal HDD: I have an HP Desktop with a C: 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD and D:1 TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD.I going to install a larger SSD, clone the small SSD and use the new SSD as the boot drive. The D: drive had no data on it.However, I thought I'd test the cloning process first and cloned...
  4. clean whole 4tb hdd

clean whole 4tb hdd: Hello ,I have a device which have 2hdd at 4tb. I want to clean the whole disk app? How much time it will take to clean it using diskpart clean all? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-whole-4tb-hdd/43f61293-7f08-406a-a8f2-0235a9fe4243
  5. clean whole 4tb hdd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    clean whole 4tb hdd: Hello ,I have a device which have 2hdd at 4tb. I want to clean the whole disk app? How much time it will take to clean it using diskpart clean all? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-whole-4tb-hdd/43f61293-7f08-406a-a8f2-0235a9fe4243
  6. clean whole 4tb hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Clean All on a 4TB HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean All on a 4TB HDD: I have a question. I have a Sinology NAS with 2 hdd at 4TB. It crashed I want to fully clean the hdd. How many hours will will it take using Diskpart clean All. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-all-on-a-4tb-hdd/974c166c-507b-4cce-a273-0adf9ccf29ae
  8. Clean All on a 4TB HDD

Clean All on a 4TB HDD: I have a question. I have a Sinology NAS with 2 hdd at 4TB. It crashed I want to fully clean the hdd. How many hours will will it take using Diskpart clean All. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-all-on-a-4tb-hdd/974c166c-507b-4cce-a273-0adf9ccf29ae
  9. Clean All on a 4TB HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. Windows update 1803 formats secondary 4TB HDD from GPT to MBR

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows update 1803 formats secondary 4TB HDD from GPT to MBR: New to the group and boy do I have a good one! The other day when I booted up my desktop PC, I noticed a majority of my desktop icons had lost there images alerting me that something had went direly wrong. I opened My PC to inspect my HDD contents and I was shocked by what I...