Windows 10: Help with getting Homegroup to work?

Discus and support Help with getting Homegroup to work? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My desktop has a MS account and my portable is a local account. I have set my desktop with a Homegroup PW and have chosen what I would like to share... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by flycaster, Feb 12, 2016.

1. flycaster Win User

Help with getting Homegroup to work?

My desktop has a MS account and my portable is a local account. I have set my desktop with a Homegroup PW and have chosen what I would like to share with my portable (following the forum's instructional video). However, I do not know how to proceed from here in order to get the two computers to communicate. Do I have to go to my portable and enter the PW, and if so, how is this done? If not, what do I have to do? Also, I would imagine that once things are set up right, in order to communicate, both computers would have to be on??? Thanks.

:)

flycaster, Feb 12, 2016

2. Getting a HomeGroup shared printer to work with Lumia 2520

Although I had no issues adding my 2520 to my HomeGroup network and sharing files, I just could not get it to add my Canon MP480 printer. This great guide from Steveh1 on the Microsoft forums sorted it out for me, I had tō use the MP490 driver but can now
    print from my 2520

-------------------------------

OK, I figured out how to get this to work. It's a total kluge, and it's been a problem with Windows for some time. Guess they didn't fix it in Windows 8.

This problem has nothing to do with HomeGroups, and everything to do with the fact that the driver model is completely new in Windows 8.

I figured out the solution from this post:

Networking from Printer attached to Win XP PC to Win 7 - Windows 7 Help Forums

Users were having the same problem printing from a Windows 7 PC to a shared printer on an XP machine. Turns out the same technique fixes this problem of trying to print from Windows 8 to a shared printer.

Here's what you do, step by step:

1) On the machine with the attached local printer, share it with a simple name (in my case I used "HL2140") (Windows Key | type "printers", click "Settings", choose "Devices and Printers, right-click on the printer you want to share, choose "Printer Properties",
    choose "Sharing", click "Change Sharing Options", click "Share this printer", type a Share name, click OK). This creates a share in the form \\SHAREDPC\HL2140.

2) On your Surface RT ( or Lumia 2520) , add a printer using Advanced Printer Setup (Windows Key, type "advanced printer", click "Settings", click on "Advanced Printer Setup".

3) Even though Windows 8 may "find" your printer, click below where it says "The printer that I want isn't listed"

4) Select the 4th option, "Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings" and click "Next"

5) Select "Create a new port:" , "Local Port", click "Next"

6) Enter the port name you created in Step 1 above. In my case, \\SHAREDPC\HL2140. Then click "OK"

7) Here's where the magic happens. An "Add Printer" dialog comes up that lists the new Windows 8 "Class" drivers. Select the manufacturer for your printer, then look at the "Class" driver names and pick the one that seems closest to your printer. In my
    case, for the Brother HL-2140, I chose "Brother Laser Type1 Class Driver". Then click "Next".

8) Type a useful printer name. In my case, I typed "Brother HL-2140". Click OK.

The printer is installed! It worked for me. If it doesn't work for you, you might need to try a different "Class" driver for your manufacturer.

Will Duval, Feb 12, 2016
  3. wiiulu Win User
    Getting a HomeGroup shared printer to work with Lumia 2520

Thanks for these step by step instructions. I got Lumia 2520 working with HP Photosmart 8150. It is a shared printer from my desktop machine. I didn't find exact match for the class driver, but I chose the closest one.

wiiulu, Feb 12, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Go to your portable > open File Explorer > left side, click Homegroup > click Join Homegroup > select what you want to share etc etc.......... >Enter password

davidhk, Feb 12, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    You do not need Homegroup to share folders between computers. You can just share those folders you wish, by right clicking on them and choosing "Share".

bro67, Feb 12, 2016
  6. flycaster Win User
    Wow! That should be easy, and it was. Now have easy access between both computers. Thanks.

flycaster, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Help with getting Homegroup to work? - Similar Threads - Help getting Homegroup

2. Homegroup stopped working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Homegroup stopped working: When I reinstalled Windows 10 on one desktop computer it no longer has homegroup functionality to enable connection with my other 3 computers and network printers. The updated computer cannot see the Homegroup network. All computers have internet access but not to my local...
  3. work around for removal of homegroup

work around for removal of homegroup: work around for removal of homegroup sharing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/work-around-for-removal-of-homegroup/215a2570-2ae5-4583-91a7-398c8ce0a994
  4. Networking and Homegroups no longer working

Networking and Homegroups no longer working: It seems that over time networking keeps changing and what used to work no longer works. (This is for a home network of two Win 10 and one Win 7). At one point I had a homegroup setup, but I hadn't messed with it for a while and now I don't know the password anymore. I have...
  5. Windows 10 Homegroup Not Working

Windows 10 Homegroup Not Working: I have read through many of the posts and there does not seem to one that has a solution that works for me. 2 laptops connected wirelessly. One desktop computer connected via wired Ethernet. All computers are in the same workgroup. All computers can see each other on the...
  6. Can't get Homegroup Password

Can't get Homegroup Password: Hi, I had to do a complete reinstall of Windows 10. However, the new install still recognizes the old homegroup and I didn't write down the password. Now I can't change the password. When I open up the homegroup window, I can join, change sharing settings, but I can't change...
  7. Homegroup stopped working

Homegroup stopped working: I'm not sure if it's related to the last update or not, but suddenly my homegroup started saying my other PC was offline. So I went and left it and recreated it, and sometimes it'll connect for maybe 5 minutes then disappear again. Also, it's saying almost everytime I try to...
  8. Homegroup not working correctly

Homegroup not working correctly: hi guys, since Build 10041 the only computer with Win 10 TP is in the homegroup but that computer only shows the 3 other pc's. Changing from "Allow WIndows to manage home group connections" to 'Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers" does not...
  9. Homegroup Problems - Help

Homegroup Problems - Help: I've updated two of four PCs from Win 7 home premium to Win 10. The Win 10 PCs can see each other on the network, are not able to access each other. Attempts to access results in an error message that reads to recheck the name of the device or check with the network...
  10. Homegroup not working. Frustrating !

in Windows 10 Support
    Homegroup not working. Frustrating !: I'm trying to allows my TV and Xbox one to access a folder on my external hard drive using the Homegroup. I have turned Homegroup on, Changed the password, Allowed all the devices on the network to share content, Added my folder on the external HD to the Homegroup....