Windows 10: Help with headphone mic not being detected?

Discus and support Help with headphone mic not being detected? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I have Sennheiser HD 598 CS headphones that I use with my win10 pc. Back in Feb, I accidentally broke my headphone cable and bought a replacement.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/noctli, Oct 29, 2020.

1. /u/noctli Win User

Help with headphone mic not being detected?

So I have Sennheiser HD 598 CS headphones that I use with my win10 pc.

Back in Feb, I accidentally broke my headphone cable and bought a replacement. I didn't try to use the headset on my computer again until around July. While trying to join a work meeting, I realized the mic was not detected on my computer. At first I thought it was the replacement cable's fault.

Recently, the cable I bought started acting up so I bought a new one hoping it would fix the mic detection issue too. For extra info:

-replacement cable is not sennheiser but the mic works perfectly fine on my phone

-headphones are detected as "front speaker", while headphones are grayed out (but enabled) in Sound (properties). No mic is detected.

-all drivers are updated (in fact i bought a new SSD and clean installed windows recently)

-thought it was a realtek issue but i didn't reinstall it and it's still not detecting the mic

-if i plug the headphones into the rear mic, I can use the mic but not hear any sound.

-if i plug it into the rear speaker, I can hear audio but the mic isn't detected. Again, they used to both work together in this plug.

The funny thing is, the headphones and the mic used to work just fine together on my pc, and I would use my computer without plugging in speakers because I had my headset anyway. Feels a bit silly to plug in speakers and wear a headset just to use a mic tho... any suggestions? I've considered buying a mic or a splitter but that also feels like a waste considering this used to work. Its entirely possible that this may have been a longer-than-before-February issue as I started a new job and was out of town since around August 2019 and would have used my phone over my computer for calls.

I'll take any advice, it feels like I've tried everything at this point.

submitted by /u/noctli
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/noctli, Oct 29, 2020

2. Headphones Not Detected

Wasn't sure what topic to put this under.

Windows 10 refuses to detect my headphones from my headset. The mic is fine. The computer even recognizes when I plug the headphones of the headset in. But it refuses to detect them. I can go into my Sound in Control Panel all day, and there will NEVER be any
    headphones in that list. So, no, I cannot click headphones, just making that clear before someone suggests clicking on headphones.

How do I force Windows 10 to detect the headphones that I have plugged in, so that they will work? The jack is working fine. When I plug them in it gives me the pop-up letting me know that I plugged something into the jack. But that's the end of it. It will
    not detect the headphones. Nothing comes out of them. There are no headphones in the Sound list. There is nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero. Zilch. Why does it register something is plugged in and then refuse to detect it?

Someone please figure out why Windows 10 simply cannot detect headphones and help me fix this so I can use my headset.

MorgothBauglir1, Oct 29, 2020
  3. Aman Win User
    Headphone mic not working with laptop 3.5mm port

I have sennheiser hd4.40 wireless headphone. I also got a cable with headphone having 2.5mm pin(attached to headphone) to 3.5mm pin(attached to mobile phone).

Problem is that when i connect 3.5mm pin to my mobile phone headphone jack, in call i am able to use mic and headphone both at same time but:

1. When i connect the 3.5mm pin to 3.5mm jack for mic on my laptop, i am not able to use the mic.(my laptop has separate 3.5mm mic and 3.5mm headphone jack)
    2. When i connect to 3.5mm jack for headphone, only headphone is working with laptop not mic.

Please do not suggest why I am not using Bluetooth because it is a separate problem.

I am missing something or maybe this may be limitation or something else. Help me on this. :-(

4. AndreTen Win User

Headphone mic not detected by realtek HD audio

Hi chaosagency! Welcome to Tenforums.

Try to unplug mic cable and plug it back. Drivers should ask what device a re you using. Try different connection, that works sometimes.

Check that you haven't muted the mic.. and what says the recording tab in sounds?

Help with headphone mic not being detected? [​IMG]

AndreTen, Oct 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Help with headphone mic not being detected? - Similar Threads - Help headphone mic

2. Headphone Mic detection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphone Mic detection: My Dell laptop cannot detect the headphone mic, the headphone mic works with my other computers, I tried to connect a splitter but it is still the same , can someone help me out how can I connect it....
  3. Headphone Mic detection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headphone Mic detection: My Dell laptop cannot detect the headphone mic, the headphone mic works with my other computers, I tried to connect a splitter but it is still the same , can someone help me out how can I connect it....
  4. Headphones detected with nothing plugged in; only Mic being detected when headphones ARE...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphones detected with nothing plugged in; only Mic being detected when headphones ARE...: I suspect this may be a hardware problem since I opened up my PC to clean it and bumped the headphone jack cable where it connected to the motherboard, and there were no Windows updates or installations that happened that could be the culprit, however I did make sure the...
  5. Headphones detected with nothing plugged in; only Mic being detected when headphones ARE...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headphones detected with nothing plugged in; only Mic being detected when headphones ARE...: I suspect this may be a hardware problem since I opened up my PC to clean it and bumped the headphone jack cable where it connected to the motherboard, and there were no Windows updates or installations that happened that could be the culprit, however I did make sure the...
  6. Headphones detected with nothing plugged in; only Mic being detected when headphones ARE...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Headphones not detected but headphone mic is

Headphones not detected but headphone mic is: I've been searching for an answer for this and anything I've seen has not worked and it seems like no one has my exact issue. My headphone mic is detected in my sound input devices but my headphones are not detected at all in my output devices. I've tried a bunch of things...
  8. Headset/Headphone mic not being detected

Headset/Headphone mic not being detected: Hi, I have had this problem for a while: When I plug in my headphone my laptop never detects it as a headphone in fact, doesn't detect it at all, but the sound works just fine, and the mic does not. I've tried using two different functional headphones but both have the same...
  9. Headphones not being detected

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Headphones not being detected: I've recently had a problem with my new headphones' midrange sounding really unclear. Apparently, it's a common flaw in cheaper headphones. So I went ahead and ordered myself a new pair of headphones (it's on the way rn) But I noticed something before that, my headphones...
  10. Headphones not being detected

Headphones not being detected: I am on a Windows 10 and my headphones were working perfectly fine yesterday but today it stopped working and I can only use speakers, I've tried fixing it and going through tutorials like going to Device Manager and other things but the device wasn't even there which is why...