Windows 10: Help with installing 3rd party icc profiles into Windows 10 Color Mgt

Discus and support Help with installing 3rd party icc profiles into Windows 10 Color Mgt in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10, Dell U2312HM. I am having trouble placing two downloaded icc profiles into Windows Color Management. These are the profiles used by Costco... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by flycaster, Feb 17, 2016.

1. flycaster Win User

Help with installing 3rd party icc profiles into Windows 10 Color Mgt

Windows 10, Dell U2312HM.
    I am having trouble placing two downloaded icc profiles into Windows Color Management. These are the profiles used by Costco in my neighborhood. I have successfully downloaded to my Download folder two icc profiles from Dry Creek (Florida digital photo lab profiles) that I intend to use on my monitor. However, when I tried to add these two downloaded into Color management, I got the following alert message: "Windows failed to associate the profile *.icc with the service "Display 1. Dell U2312HM (Digital-DV) - Intel (R) HD Graphics 530." The printer name is invalid.

:)

flycaster, Feb 17, 2016

2. icc colour profile reset after screen rotation (landscape <> portrait)

Hello,

I have exactly the same issue on my Surface Pro 3. Since I updated to windows 10, the ICC profile is reset each time I rotate the tablet.

I calibrated the screen and working on pictures. So the color accuracy is something important for me.

I don't understand how it could be possible by updating to a recent operating system, getting a feature not working anymore!?

The drivers are all from windows update for Surface and up to date and I don't use any third-party tools to manage ICC profile. Just the windows 10 built-in ICC loader.

Is there a way to get rid of this critical behavior ?

Thanks in advance,

J.

UPDATE: The last version of Windows 10 (1511) seems having fixed the issue. the ICC profile is preserved during rotation of the tablet.

Good news!

Patience KJ, Feb 17, 2016
  3. Windows 10 won't startup with my settings for color, brightness, etc... Nvidia 355.60

i got the same problem , sadly no fix yet.

just a workaround for the problem.

all nvidia windows 10 drivers , same bug on windows 10 startup.

i even disabled the checkbox for windows to calibrate the colors , so windows is not bothering during startup.

it loads the default sRGB ICC profile, not the by windows calibrated ICC profile.

but no help, still no nvidia colors.

But i do notice this .

when you set the colors in nvidia menu , it overrides the standard sRGB ICC profile that it normally uses in windows.

i can see that in the registry (regedit)

it also applies the settings on first boot and reboot.

but somehow , the screen still is dark on boot , although the sliders are set.

on second Reboot the colors will stay , so without the PC going to shutdown.

if the screen loses colors when jumping in and out a game .

then set the windows desktop resolution same as the resolution inside the game.

and switch resolution in the game to any resolution, and then back to the same resolution as desktop.

this is to make sure the game has the same resolution and refresh rate as what is set for the desktop.

now the colors will stay .

you just need to first start the PC , then remember to reboot without shutdown to make the colors stay.

i am trying to find a program that can help me generate a ICC profile (.icm) , from the measurements it takes from the nvidia device after setting colors .

so windows can load that ICC profile (.icm) as new default .

that would be the best solution in my eyes.

but i do not know such program yet.

AndreKeurentjes, Feb 17, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello *Smile

The colour profiles for displays need to be .icm files. The colour profiles for printers are .icc files. You seem to have downloaded printer files not display/monitor calibration files.

Added later...
    Actually it turns out the .icc and .icm are just a relic from the Apple and Windows differences in nomenclature. Both should be recognised although it is sometimes worth changing the file ext. if they do not load.

philc43, Feb 17, 2016
  5. flycaster Win User
    Hi Phil, are you sure about that as here's one of the files I downloaded - - Costco-FL-Lantana-Lus.icc. When I use my colorMunki Display to calibrate my monitor, the files are all icc. And, when looking at the profiles within Windows 10 Color Management, the files are also icc??? Could it be that icm files are for printers.

flycaster, Feb 17, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    Well I was going by the files on my monitor and printer which are consistent with what I said in my post. However, a quick bit of research reveals that the .icm files originate from Windows and the .icc files originate from Apple but they should both work.

Try changing your suffix from .icc to .icm on those files and see if this makes them work. This was suggested on one of the websites.

Now changed my earlier post to reflect this.

philc43, Feb 17, 2016
  7. no1yak Win User
    Theses profiles are print paper profiles that you would use if you are going to send your photo images to be printed.
    When you use your colormunki for monitor profiling that is a totally different profile (colour Gamut ). What post processing software are you using?-if any. Going back to your monitor, the profile from your colormunki is the one that should be in Windows colour management.

Help with installing 3rd party icc profiles into Windows 10 Color Mgt [​IMG]

no1yak, Feb 17, 2016
  8. philc43 Win User

I think no1yak has the answer, the profiles you were trying to use are for printers therefore they would not be of any use for a monitor and that would be why it was rejected.

philc43, Feb 17, 2016
  9. AndreyT Win User
    Regardless of the file extension (.icc or .icm, which means nothing) the profiles one gets from Costco are apparently profiles of their printers (or, more precisely, of their printer-ink-paper combination). Trying to associate these profiles with the monitor makes no sense. That is exactly what Windows is telling you.

The only use for such profile would be to use it for Soft Proofing in software that supports soft proofing functionality. Other than that I don't understand why anyone would even want to download a profile for a printer they don't have.

A web search comes up with a bunch of guides that say that one is supposed to assign Costco color profiles to their pictures before sending them off to Costco for printing (like, using "Assign Profile" feature in Photoshop). This kind of bizarre usage defies all sense and logic. Why would anyone want to do that? Is this kind of "flow" suggested by Costco itself?

AndreyT, Feb 18, 2016
  10. flycaster Win User
    OK, Andrey and no1yak, you guys are showing me that you know more than I do about this issue...and that is very good. So, in nutshell here's what I'm trying to do: After post-processing on Faststone, I want to be sure (as would be possible) that when the images are put onto paper, the printed image (from a Walmart, Costco, etc photocenter) and my monitor image should agree as much as possible. How can I do this given my present resources?

flycaster, Feb 18, 2016
  11. AndreyT Win User
    In order to achieve the best match possible you need the following

1. Calibrate and profile your monitor.

For that you have your ColorMunki. ColorMunki profiling software will generate a monitor profile for your monitor. This profile should be assigned as your default monitor profile in Windows. It is quite possible that after generating the profile ColorMunki software will do this assignment for you. If not, you can easily do it in Windows color management settings.

Note that this step does not in any way involve Costco and their profiles. This is entirely between you, ColorMunki and your monitor.
    2. Use color-management-aware software to adjust your photos on your monitor to make your photos look the way you want them to look. Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, Corel PaintShopPro, Corel Paint - all will do. I assume Faststone image viewer/editor is also color-management-aware.

3. Use calibrated and profiled printing service. Now, I never used Costco myself, so I don't know how it really works with them. But typically there are two possibilities:

3.1. Printing service uses "smart" color-management-aware software and printers to print images.

In this case you don't have to do anything at all. Just send them your files after making all desired adjustments, and they will reproduce them on paper as faithfully (as close to the original) as possible. All color-reproduction related adjustments will be done by the printing service internally.
    3.2. Printing service uses "dumb" machines and software to print images. They don't perform color-reproduction related adjustments.

Now, this is not necessarily the end of the world. Printing service that uses "dumb" machines might still decide to profile their "dumb" machines and make the resultant color profiles available to the public. You are supposed to download that color profile. And you are supposed to convert your image files to that color profile before sending them to printing service. Profile conversion is available in Adobe Photoshop through "Convert to profile" command. I expect that Faststone also has this capability.

Note, that this latter procedure will modify your images. You should make copies of all your images and apply this conversion to the copies. It is these converted copies that you'll send to printing service. It is possible that these converted images might look "strange" on your monitor and their color reproduction might look wrong to your eye. This is OK. The whole idea of these conversion is to "distort" your color in that specific way that will precisely cancel out distortions introduced later by the printing machine. If the color profile distributed by the printing service is good (properly describes the machine), then this technique will let you to obtain correctly colored images from "dumb" machine.
    3.3. Printing service invented a third, alternative, unorthodox way to handle color management.

So, judging by the fact that Costco distributes their color profiles, I'd guess that they expect you to follow procedure 3.2. But I could be wrong, since as I said above I never used Costco myself.

AndreyT, Feb 18, 2016
  12. no1yak Win User
    It appears that the paper profiles you have downloaded are for printing the images yourself. Most colour labs either use SRGB or ADOBE RGB. I would Imagen that Cosco would use SRGB (never use labs myself do all my own printing) If your post processing software is colour managed then you need to set the colour space to SRGB once you have edited your images. There is a world of information on the web about how to colour manage for printing yourself or farming out to labs. Like AndreyT has said, profile your monitor first and make sure that profile is set in Windows. The best approach would be to phone Cosco and ask them what colour space they require - SRGB or ADOBE RGB. Once you know for sure then apply that colour space to your images. Hope this helps.

no1yak, Feb 18, 2016
  13. flycaster Win User

flycaster, Feb 19, 2016
  14. pcunite Win User
    While we are on this topic. This article has always been of help to me. Works with Windows 10 I believe.

pcunite, Feb 20, 2016
  15. flycaster Win User
    Looks like a very helpful article. I'll be going in for shoulder joint replacement surgery on Tuesday, and won't be able to use my camera for a while, but figure I'll have plenty of time to delve into the article and finally get the hang of this issue. Thanks...

flycaster, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Help with installing 3rd party icc profiles into Windows 10 Color Mgt - Similar Threads - Help installing 3rd

2. ICC Profiles and Color Management are not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ICC Profiles and Color Management are not working: I'm on Windows 11 Pro 22H2I'm trying to used my monitor's OEM ICC profile but it looks like it has no effect. I dived deeper by setting random ICC profiles by default but all have no effect. I do remember these having substantial changes in color in Windows 10, but it seems...
  3. ICC Profiles and Color Management are not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ICC Profiles and Color Management are not working: I'm on Windows 11 Pro 22H2I'm trying to used my monitor's OEM ICC profile but it looks like it has no effect. I dived deeper by setting random ICC profiles by default but all have no effect. I do remember these having substantial changes in color in Windows 10, but it seems...
  4. ICC color profile doesn't work on printer Win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ICC color profile doesn't work on printer Win11: Hello everybody,I got an ICC color profile for my printer and assigned it to my printer using Windows' "Color Management", but there is no change in the printout. My printer driver HP MFP479 doesn't have built-in options to apply color profiling. But as far as I know, when I...
  5. ICC Color Profile not staying applied

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ICC Color Profile not staying applied: Been trying to set up an ICC profile on my desktop as my colors seem washed out. I have an ASUS VG248QE. Every time I apply the profile I can see the change take place but as soon as I close out of color management it reverts back to normal. I check the boxes for using my...
  6. Windows 10 v1909 ICC Profiles - Advanced Color

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 v1909 ICC Profiles - Advanced Color: In the Windows 10 v1909 control panel Color Management app I load an ICC profile for an HP color laserjet printer. Two sections appear in the Color Management app - "ICC Profiles" and "ICC Profiles Advanced Color". What is difference between these two sections? In...
  7. ICC Profile for Monitor Help?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ICC Profile for Monitor Help?: Installed an ICC profile for my LG 34in and how do you know it’s applied? I see no change in color or picture settings. I’m new to adding ICC profiles. Followed a guide, added it right I just don’t see a difference. Tried three different ICC profiles. No color change....
  8. How to install a Color Profile in Windows 10 using an ICC Profile

in Windows 10 News
    How to install a Color Profile in Windows 10 using an ICC Profile: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Ever wondered why an image looks different on every monitor? Why some of the pictures taken from a phone look surprisingly better on another phone’s display? The answer is how the display has been configured to output the correct color [...] This post How to...
  9. ICC profiles ignored under Color Management app in Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Customization
    ICC profiles ignored under Color Management app in Windows 10.: I'm having two issues here using Windows 10. 1. When I do the "Identify" under Display settings I see that DELL monitor is numbered as 1 and BenQ is numbered as 2. At the same time under Color Management next to a "Device" is says that BenQ is 1 and Dell is 2....
  10. How to use 3rd party color profile without a control panel?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to use 3rd party color profile without a control panel?: After the Creator update, the control panel is gone. So now I don't know how to add a specific colorprofile for my monitor anymore. It is a .icc file. In control panel I found it in "Screen resolution" -> "color management" -> select profile. But where is this setting in the...