Windows 10: Help with installing games to D drive instead of C.

Discus and support Help with installing games to D drive instead of C. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Yesterday I purchased the Xbox Game pass ultimate for PC. I only have the option to install games onto my C drive, but there's not enough space on it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by marshlake, Jan 4, 2021.

1. marshlake Win User

Help with installing games to D drive instead of C.

Yesterday I purchased the Xbox Game pass ultimate for PC. I only have the option to install games onto my C drive, but there's not enough space on it. Whenever I try to install games on my D drive it states, "This location isn't set up for installing games.Set it as your location for where new apps are saved." I clicked the underlined message and it brings me to settings. There is an option highlighted stating, "New apps will save to: New Volume D:." Since this is what I want I click it and press apply but I get hit by an extremely confusing message which is, "Delete other apps? This drive has apps from another device. To use this drive, the other apps must first be deleted. Do you want to continue?" This is confusing me a lot as I am very hesitant to press yes as I don't exactly know what this means. What will be deleted if I select yes? Games? Microsoft games? My entire D Drive? If someone could please let me know what to select and what it will do exactly please help. I don't want to risk losing anything from that drive has it has a lot of information. Thank you.

:)

marshlake, Jan 4, 2021
  2. LHuck Win User

App download keeps defaulting to D drive instead of C drive.

DaveM121,

If I do your first suggestion so I no longer see the D drive will that let me download and install the Nox player on my computer and will it automatically go to my C drive instead of the D drive like it has been doing?

If I do your second suggestion again will I be able to download and install Nox player on my computer?

And finally, which is the best all-a-round option?

Thanks,

LHuck, Jan 4, 2021
  3. Installing to a second Drive. D: or external (Non Boot up Drives)

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are looking for an option to move the game location from the C drive to the Drive D, which is an external drive.

In this scenario, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check if that resolves your issue on both laptop and Desktop.

1. As usual install the game on the PC’s in
      C Drive.
    2. Insert the external
      D drive
      to the PC.
    3. Press Windows + I key from the keyboard to launch
      Settings.
    4. Select Apps and click on
      Apps & features
      from the left pane.
    5. Search for the installed game from the list on the right pane.
    6. Single click on the game and select
      Move.
    7. Select the D drive under
      Choose a drive
      where you want to move the game.
    8. Restart the PC with the external drive connected and then launch the game.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jan 4, 2021
  4. Help with installing games to D drive instead of C.

Installed game on D drive, MS Store tries to update to C drive.

So I have an issue where I downloaded a game on my D drive by using the "Change where new content is installed" in storage settings, it downloaded to the D drive without much issue. But now that I want to update the game, it keeps trying to
    reinstall the entire game instead of just downloading the update. I keep getting an error as it keeps trying to reinstall the entire thing, because it is trying to reinstall the newest version it on to my C drive, which doesn't have space.

Basically I can't get the MS Store to recognize that I already downloaded a game onto my D drive in order for it to update, instead of whenever I try to update the game it tries to reinstall it onto my C drive.

I tried resetting the MS store, changing where new content is installed back and forth, clearing caches etc, but whenever I open the MS store page of the game it just automatically begins to download into my C drive, and proceeds to fail.

Miaomelette, Jan 4, 2021
Thema:

Help with installing games to D drive instead of C.

1. Help with installing games to D drive instead of C. - Similar Threads - Help installing games

2. Why would DumpStack.log.tmp be on my D drive instead of C

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why would DumpStack.log.tmp be on my D drive instead of C: When I try to sync my D drive partition with my external hard drive FreeFileSync keeps saying that it cannot sync DumpStack.log.tmp since it is in use. But I cannot find it on the D drive even with hidden files turned on. I thought DumpStack.log.tmp was supposed to be on CI...
  3. Drive C/D

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive C/D: So my local disk C is full because it has barely any storage and i need to download some stuff but i cant and i want to switch to my D drive because it has a lot more storage but i dont know what the consequences are and how to do it and if i can do it. If someone could help...
  4. C drive and D drive

C drive and D drive: Hi, I was looking through my files and found my brother's files on my D drive. I asked him to move it to C drive so that it wouldn't appear on my D drive, but when I checked my C drive, he's files were there. I share a laptop with my brother and have our own accounts. Is the...
  5. Installed game on D drive, MS Store tries to update to C drive.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Installed game on D drive, MS Store tries to update to C drive.: So I have an issue where I downloaded a game on my D drive by using the "Change where new content is installed" in storage settings, it downloaded to the D drive without much issue. But now that I want to update the game, it keeps trying toreinstall the entire game instead of...
  6. C: and D: drives

C: and D: drives: Laptop came with Windows 8 and 1 TB hard drive which I have 700GB free. Updated to Windows 10 and C: drive is still free but 25GB D: is full https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-and-d-drives/036ccbb4-a114-453d-880a-ccece386f1e0
  7. Switching Game download and install from C to D drive

Switching Game download and install from C to D drive: i recently bought sea of theives from the microsoft store and when it updated it came to my attention the game installed into the c drive not the d which is much bigger.. its telling me i have to clear up space but there is not the space to be cleared on c i need to know how...
  8. App download keeps defaulting to D drive instead of C drive.

App download keeps defaulting to D drive instead of C drive.: I am attempting to download the most current Nox Player app to my Windows 10 PC but it keeps attempting the download to my D drive instead of my C drive. I do not have the room on my D drive for the download. I am unable to get it to download to my C drive. My computer...
  9. D drive installations instead of C drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    D drive installations instead of C drive: During installations of any of my apps I always try to install them on my D drive. (Not MS Store apps, I can't stand that drivel.) I notice that certain apps absolutely refuse to offer any alternative installation location besides the C drive (system drive). No such dialogue...
  10. Search indexing is indexing my D: drive instead of C:

in Windows 10 Support
    Search indexing is indexing my D: drive instead of C:: dual boot system 10 on C:, 7 on D: Search indexing insists on indexing drive D: instead of C: No matter how many times I uncheck indexing locations on D: and choose proper locations on C:, when indexing starts to rebuild it reverts back to D: I though I had solved by...