Windows 10: Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image

Discus and support Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image as a .WIM within SCCM. So here's a breakdown of the situation: - I need Ubuntu to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by ManLikeMeee, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image

Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image as a .WIM within SCCM.

So here's a breakdown of the situation:

- I need Ubuntu to be installed as a VM on several Windows machines e.g. approximately 90-110 Desktops.

- I've used Virtualbox previously which "works" but doesn't allow certain commands in terminal; e.g. networking commands like traceroute, mtr and ping.
    (Networking commands is essential)

- Ubuntu needs to be restricted enough to not allow users to do anything malicious to the systems - but seeing as its a VM it should be safe.

- The users need access to Windows so that they can document the commands that they do within Ubuntu.

- I need it all in a Windows 10 image so that this can be deployed to all the PCs.

-Currently use SCCM to deploy software and images (if that helps)

Note: I work in a school so there's a high chance of the kids messing around with things from curiosity/malicious intent.

I know that's a lot to take in; any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

ManLikeMeee, Aug 15, 2017

2. Can I dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu on the same drive without partitioning

That sounds like a much better option, or you can also use cygwin or something.

Ubuntu in a VM
    such as
    Hyper-V
    is also an option if you need the actual OS.

RobertJWin, Aug 15, 2017
  3. SarahKong Win User
    Unable to install fall creators update 1709

Oh i see.

I use Ubuntu on a VM.

Windows 10 has Hyper-V so you can download Ubuntu and create a Ubuntu VM.

More work yes, but i like it because it is more isolated too.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-run-linux-di...

SarahKong, Aug 15, 2017
Thema:

Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image

1. Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image - Similar Threads - Help Installing Ubuntu

2. ubuntu will not finish install when creating a hyper-v vm. It install to the point where I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ubuntu will not finish install when creating a hyper-v vm. It install to the point where I...: I install both quick create and manual desktop version of ubuntu but It installs to the point where I login Xorg and then goes to black screen. Never continues....
  3. ubuntu will not finish install when creating a hyper-v vm. It install to the point where I...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ubuntu will not finish install when creating a hyper-v vm. It install to the point where I...: I install both quick create and manual desktop version of ubuntu but It installs to the point where I login Xorg and then goes to black screen. Never continues....
  4. Can't Create Hyper-V VM and Hyper-V Virtual Switch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't Create Hyper-V VM and Hyper-V Virtual Switch: Hello, I have been trying to create a Ubuntu VM using Hyper-V for the past hour, but Windows still can't create one for me. Every time I tried to create it just says "The server encountered an error while creating VM name. 'VM name' failed to realize. Failed to access...
  5. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  6. Installing a Macrium image backup on a new Hyper-V VM.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Installing a Macrium image backup on a new Hyper-V VM.: I am sure this is obvious to many users, but I puzzled about it a lot today but got there in the end. I had created a Macrium image backup from audit mode as per the video links on Saturday as described by Kari. The image I created is a dual boot image - W10 (oobe), and...
  7. Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error

Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error: I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15, 9550, 6700HQ, W10P, 16Gig, non-touch, refurb computer. I re-partitioned the SSD drive, creating among other things drive 'R' of about 97 Gig. R was not reformatted - it is NTFS. Using another computer, I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04.LTS ISO...
  8. Cannot Install Ubuntu 17.04 in Hyper-v

Cannot Install Ubuntu 17.04 in Hyper-v: I am trying to install Ubuntu 1704 through Hyper V. It seems to go easily until I select the command to go ahead and install Ubuntu. Then things go wrong. I get the following error messages as shown in the attachment. It says that file...
  9. Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v

Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v: Apologies for the very basic question, but this is my first attempt at creating a virtual machine within Windows 10 pro using hyper-v. I have created a VM, and during the process allocated a drive/folder for that VM, and selected the Linux iso file that should be installed....
  10. Microsoft to make Ubuntu 18.04 a First class VM with HYPER-V

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to make Ubuntu 18.04 a First class VM with HYPER-V: Hi folks Some might be interested in this -- could be a winner for Ms if they can eat into VMware's market. Microsoft's revealed a plan to make Ubuntu 18.04 a "first-class" guest under Hyper-V. Microsoft's definition of first-class may sound a bit ho-hum for users...
Tags: