Windows 10: Help with license activation

Discus and support Help with license activation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My old Asus hard drive HDD has called it quits after nearly 10 years not bad eh? So here's details. I upgraded the windows 8 to windows 10, as soon as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Kobie_ko, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Kobie_ko Win User

Help with license activation

My old Asus hard drive HDD has called it quits after nearly 10 years not bad eh? So here's details. I upgraded the windows 8 to windows 10, as soon as the free upgrade was released.. a long time ago.

Last year my husband gave me his 12+ year old Lenovo which i immediately upgraded windows 7pro to windows 10. Recently it would no longer power up despite being plugged in.

Since the asus HDD was toast, and The Lenovo was no longer functioning, my husband took out the Lenovo SSD and put it into the asus.

Now instead of 2 non working laptops, I have one functioning one.

The problem is that Im getting a message that windows needs activation with a product key, which I don't have. Can anyone tell me how to resolve this?

Thank you in advance.

:)

Kobie_ko, Mar 23, 2020

2. help to remote connect

not sure how to use both programs u 2 suggested, i need more helpful steps thanks

Corduroy_Jr, Mar 23, 2020
  3. Win 10 activation is expiring - volume license

Finally got it activated but still confused as to what is really going on with activation.

here is what I did:

-got another Win7 Pro key from a friend (non volume license one)
    -I tried to activate it, but it gave the same error message as before, "could not activate with this key"
    -following suggestion above, I tried it a second time. This time it activated !!! (internet was connected both times)

don't know why just doing it 2 times makes it work. maybe someone else can explain that.

I checked it with ShowkeyPlus and to my surprise it now said it was activated and showed the installed key as the generic Win10Pro key that is listed in above post. But I did not enter that key. ????

tikicarver, Mar 23, 2020
  4. Help with license activation

Licensing and activation

Activation depends on what type of license you have of Windows 7/8/10.

If Windows 7/8/10 came preinstalled with the computer, that is called an OEM license. For an OEM license, the license dies as soon as Motherboard dies. So essentially it is non-transferable. If that is the case you need to get a new license.

However, this is not same for retail licenses i.e. you purchased the license through Microsoft store. That does carry transfer rights. If that is the case, please see the below steps:

Run the activation troubleshooter on the new device using the below steps:

Go to Settings>Update and security>Activation and run the troubleshooter.

Select I recently changed hardware on this device.

Please note that Activation troubleshooter requires you to have digital license linked to Microsoft Account.

Alternatively, if that does not help, you would have to call Microsoft Support.

Contact Microsoft using the phone numbers below or use the chat support link(weekdays only)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/405170...

https://partner.support.services.microsoft.com/...

Please let us know if you need any assistance.

Sumit (Independent Advisor), Mar 23, 2020
Thema:

Help with license activation

1. Help with license activation - Similar Threads - Help license activation

2. License and activation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    License and activation: I purchased a computer at a Restore. I formatted the hard drive to erase the existing data, now it requires activation. Since the computer was donated to the Restore from a college, I do not have access to an activation code. HELP!...
  3. Activation and Licensing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation and Licensing: A few months back i had reset my laptop completely because it was running slow and there was some virus in it, after i reset the windows settings said that windows is not activated, even thought on the bottom right of the screen, there is a text saying "Windows 10 Home" when...
  4. Activation License

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activation License: I have Windows 10 Enterprise edition. I downloaded and installed it free from Microsoft, several years ago nowMy Activation screen says the Windows 10 is activated using your organization's activation service..............I am getting 'Windows license will expire soon'...
  5. Activation License

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation License: I have Windows 10 Enterprise edition. I downloaded and installed it free from Microsoft, several years ago nowMy Activation screen says the Windows 10 is activated using your organization's activation service..............I am getting 'Windows license will expire soon'...
  6. Licensing and activation

Licensing and activation: I recently bought new windows laptop with genuine version of windows , but because of some issue I reinstall the windows and now it is giving me notification to upgrade my window and 1 month of activation remaining and showing me volume licensing in setting. What should I...
  7. Licensing and activation

Licensing and activation: What is the difference between the OEM key, volume key, retail key, digital licenced key and activation code key, and can I re-use the same key multiple times in the same pc after re- formatting, if so which one is best ?...
  8. Licensing & Activation

Licensing & Activation: I have 2 laptop. One of them is HP Folio 9480m, Window 8.1 run on it had been activated by HP before I bought it. After that I upgraded it to Window 10 free. My question is can I use the activated key of HP to install a window 8.1 on my other computer....
  9. licensing activation

licensing activation: keep receiving error Ox80070781 which means? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/licensing-activation/c797eee8-4ecd-4c80-84b7-236b62a2718a"
  10. ACTIVATION & LICENSE

ACTIVATION & LICENSE: we bought a laptop i3 7 gen in nov 2018, there was a problem is error showing by flash massages "windows license expire soon' while windows already activated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activation-license/283536db-a952-43b7-badb-5a90c83b8ef6"