Windows 10: Help with memory/performance issues

Discus and support Help with memory/performance issues in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; For a while now, I've noticed my memory usage is higher than it should be, and my disk spikes very easily. I've brought all my drivers up to date... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/tjcpizza999, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Help with memory/performance issues

For a while now, I've noticed my memory usage is higher than it should be, and my disk spikes very easily. I've brought all my drivers up to date recently and that helped a lot but my memory is still quite high. Even with nothing but malwarebytes running in the background (which is less than 300MB), my memory still reads 65-70%. I have 4GB of memory and really most of what I use my laptop for is chrome and discord, but it can never run both reliably. And I have HDD, not SSD. Should I get a memory upgrade, or something else?

submitted by /u/tjcpizza999
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/tjcpizza999, Aug 15, 2020

2. Memory issues

Thank you for updating us. We suggest that you run the Memory Diagnostics Tool, this is to check your system for memory problems. Follow the steps below:

• Open Control Panel and type memory in the search bar.
    • Click on Diagnose computer memory problems to open it.
    • If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Let us know the status of the issue.

Reymichael Ros, Aug 15, 2020
  3. Very Slow Performance - RAM Memory Issue

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are having high CPU and Disk usage on your PC.

In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below:

• What is the Windows 10 Version and Build installed? (Type winver
      in Windows search/Run command)
    • What is the make and model of the PC?
    • Are you aware of any recent changes on the PC prior to this issue?

Please help us with the screenshot of the Process tab in
    Task Manager and System information page (Press Windows + R key and type msinfo32, click OK) for further investigation. (Please follow the steps mentioned in the
    screenshot posted
    by Shawn ‘Cmdr’ Keene on Oct 2, 2015 to post the screenshots.) Do not share any personal information in the screenshots.

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to perform these methods and check.

Method 1: Check Memory Settings

1. Press Windows + R key to launch Run command
    2. Type MSCONFIG and click OK. Click on Boot tab
    3. Highlight the Operating System name and click on Advanced Options
    4. Uncheck the box Maximum Memory. Click on OK.
    5. Restart computer and check.

Method 2: Check options in BIOS,

Depending on your motherboard, I would suggest you to check if there are any options to share memory to Internal Graphics or Onboard Graphics. If enabled, check if you can reduce the memory allotment.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Aug 15, 2020
  4. Help with memory/performance issues

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Aug 15, 2020
Thema:

Help with memory/performance issues

1. Help with memory/performance issues - Similar Threads - Help memory performance

2. Need help with a memory issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with a memory issue: So here's my whole situation as best as i can explainI started off with wanting to upgrade my ram from 2x8GB at 3200mhz to 4x8GB.I bought two more of the same sticks, the two I already had were in slots 2 and 4.The new sticks arrive and I install them. My cpu cooler is on the...
  3. Need help with a memory issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help with a memory issue: So here's my whole situation as best as i can explainI started off with wanting to upgrade my ram from 2x8GB at 3200mhz to 4x8GB.I bought two more of the same sticks, the two I already had were in slots 2 and 4.The new sticks arrive and I install them. My cpu cooler is on the...
  4. Windows issues booting up when restarting and memory performance

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows issues booting up when restarting and memory performance: So, to begin. Not too long ago I had a power outage during a storm. Everything shut off and turned right back on. Then shut off again. And after a minute the power turned back on. When my computer booted back up, windows said it had an error. The error was error code...
  5. Windows issues booting up when restarting and memory performance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows issues booting up when restarting and memory performance: So, to begin. Not too long ago I had a power outage during a storm. Everything shut off and turned right back on. Then shut off again. And after a minute the power turned back on. When my computer booted back up, windows said it had an error. The error was error code...
  6. Windows issues booting up when restarting and memory performance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Blue Screen and Memory Issue. Help?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blue Screen and Memory Issue. Help?: My HP laptop had been working fine up until a couple days ago, when it randomly blue screened. I guess there were some warning signs of sorts in the form of Firefox tabs crashing somewhat often, but I didn't know what to think. Until today, when my laptop blue screened again....
  8. Very Slow Performance - RAM Memory Issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Very Slow Performance - RAM Memory Issue: My Windows 10 PC is running extremely slow. Here is a key observation: When I run Task Manager my CPU and Disc performance are running near or at 100%. When I look at the Memory tab, to the right of MEMORY it shows I have 8.0 GM of RAM but below that it says "Memory...
  9. Performance issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Performance issues: I'm going to try and keep this simple. My Windows 10 PC started having a performance and temperature problem a few weeks ago. My CPU temperature goes up to about 60-70 Celsius in idle and in Overwatch, my FPS drops to 210-213 max. One way of fixing this was by keeping the...
  10. performance issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    performance issues: last year (october) there was a windows update that caused my laptop, and many others to have major performance issues while playing games. before the update: -100fps -medium/high game settings after the update: -10-50fps -low game settings -can run 60fps+ for...