Windows 10: [help with partition] Clean installing windows 10

Discus and support [help with partition] Clean installing windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I recently upgraded my laptop, specifically "Acer aspire v5-473pg" into windows 10 and now I'm trying to do a clean install. The problem is there's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Yves0105, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Yves0105 Win User

[help with partition] Clean installing windows 10

Hi I recently upgraded my laptop, specifically "Acer aspire v5-473pg" into windows 10 and now I'm trying to do a clean install. The problem is there's a lot of partition on the partition menu when proceeding into a clean install and I don't know a lot about them. My laptop comes with win 8 single L and I didn't upgrade to windows 8.1, is it safe to delete this partitions (i'll attach some images)
    btw my laptop didn't come up with installation disc or recovery disc. Can I just delete them all? I mean wouldn't they harm or do any corrupt files in my laptop?

[help with partition] Clean installing windows 10 [​IMG]

EDIT so I found out that those recovery partition is essential if I don't have any recovery backups and MSR partition is from windows itself. Can you recommend me a step that I must do to clean install windows 10? should I just format Partition 4:Acer"? would it still be considered clean install? or should I delete something from this partitions? *Sad*Sad*Sad I really need help guys

:)

Yves0105, Nov 7, 2015

2. Windows 10 Product key?

I was on windows 8.1 Activated and I did a clean install (I deleted my old OS partition and installed Windows 10 on the clean partition)

TeaganScott, Nov 7, 2015
  3. Windows 10 on logical drive?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Please be informed that you need to perform a clean install of Windows 10, and at the setup window (while performing clean installation) delete the Windows 7 partition. Now when you proceed and complete the installation of Windows 10, the drive will automatically
    be a primary partition.

Disclaimer: Please back up the data before deleting the partition or performing the clean installation.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-back-up-your-files

Clean Install Windows 10:

Clean Install Windows 10

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, Nov 7, 2015
  4. tjg79 Win User

If I understand you correctly, you're upgrading a laptop running win 8 to win 10. Is this a free upgrade to win 10? If so, I would install the win 10 onto the same partition as your win 8 just to get your system registered and activated as an upgrade install. Then I would full erase the entire disk and then clean install the win 10. You can set up the new partitions during the win 10 clean install.

What is your partition plan? Do you want a C: and D: drive?

Once you upgrade, check your laptop manufacturer's website for Win 10 drivers.

What are your questions?

Regards

tjg79, Nov 7, 2015
  5. Yves0105 Win User
    hi there *Smile thanks for answering. I already did a free upgrade into windows 10. I do want to clean install windows 10 (booting from usb/dvd-rom first when opening my laptop). I would only like to have a drive C
    I already downloaded drivers for my laptop that's compatible with win10 *Smile

so i'll just format partition 4:acer which is my current drive c ?

Yves0105, Nov 7, 2015
  6. tjg79 Win User
    Why not delete all partitions? If this is going to be a clean install, from an upgrade install, I don't think you need any of those existing partitions. Windows will create System Reserved partition so your disk will have two partitions, System Reserved and C:\. You can then shrink C:\ if you desire to create a D:\.

Is this going to be a dual boot machine?

I recommend you full erase that disk. What is the make and model of your disk?

Regards

tjg79, Nov 7, 2015
  7. Yves0105 Win User
    my disk model is seagate ST500LT012-9WS142

Thank you for your fast respond *Smile i already clicked your thumbs up button.

Yves0105, Nov 7, 2015
  8. tjg79 Win User

tjg79, Nov 7, 2015
  9. genet Win User
    If you want to do a complete clean install and if you have backed up your important files.

On the Where do you want to install Windows? screen, you'll need to delete all of the partitions (see screenshot below). Select a partition and click on the "Delete" option for each partition.

Once you have deleted all of the partitions, you only see Drive 0 Unallocated Space (see screenshot below).

Click on the "Next" button. The installation of Windows will begin. All the required partitions are created automatically during the install.

The Windows setup program creates the following partitions on your hard drive (see screenshot below).

Partition table:
    - GPT (GUID Partition Table)

Four partitions:
    - Recovery - The Windows Recovery Environment tools.
    - System (EFI system) - The Boot Configuration Data (BCD).
    - MSR (Reserved) - Microsoft Reserved.
    - Primary - Where Windows is to be installed to.

Note: The MSR (Reserved) partition is not visible within Disk Management utility, but it is listed with command line utility (diskpart).

Here is info about UEFI Boot Mode (installing using the GPT partition style) and Legacy BIOS Boot Mode (installing using the MBR partition style). -> link

genet, Nov 7, 2015
  10. lx07 Win User
    If you haven't made a backup and you delete partition 6 (push button reset) you'll have problems going back to 8 as SL images are very hard to find.

I'd just format partition 4. You can always tidy up later.

11. genet Win User
    Windows 8
    -or-
    Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help

How to download and clean install Windows 8.1 if you have an OEM computer with UEFI firmware (BIOS) embedded Windows 8/8.1 product key. -> link

genet, Nov 7, 2015
  12. Yves0105 Win User
    thanks guys for all of your replies I already did the clean install *Smile

an addition for your reputation is all I can do for you *Smile thank you again

Yves0105, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. [help with partition] Clean installing windows 10 - Similar Threads - help partition Clean

2. Partitioning on clean install windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partitioning on clean install windows 11: When reinstalling windows 11 , on the screen where you can delete partitions , I delete them all and then have unallocated space…. From that point do I just click Next to install or do I create new partitions and then begin install. Thanks...
  3. Partitioning on clean install windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partitioning on clean install windows 11: When reinstalling windows 11 , on the screen where you can delete partitions , I delete them all and then have unallocated space…. From that point do I just click Next to install or do I create new partitions and then begin install. Thanks...
  4. Clean Install - Partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install - Partitions: Hello Forum, I attempted to clean install Win 10 Pro v1909 from ISO on a DVD. I simply clicked on the ISO setup file, and let the system do its thing. Typically, I end up doing these clean installs several times for various reasons. This was my first attempt at a clean...
  5. Clean Windows 10 Install & Disk Partitions

Clean Windows 10 Install & Disk Partitions: Hello Two desktop computers each running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. I tried to copy an image of the source C: drive to the target C: drive and ran into issues and, I think, in the process messed up the source drive partition table. So I tried to do a clean install of Windows...
  6. Clean Install Windows 10 partition issue

Clean Install Windows 10 partition issue: Hey, here's what went down w/ my laptop: It's a Windows 10 ASUS X540UA-DS51 laptop. The hard drive got corrupted, to the point where it cannot even recognize that there's a C: drive, only the emergency X: drive (I know it's part of the C: drive). And no, I did not back up...
  7. Clean Installation of Windows 10 help

Clean Installation of Windows 10 help: Hello, I am trying to perform a clean install of Windows 10. My PC originally came with Windows 8 and was upgraded when Windows 10 was offered for free. My device is linked with my Microsoft account so my product key is secure. I have read tutorials that I should delete...
  8. Clean Installation of Windows 10 help

Clean Installation of Windows 10 help: Hello, I am trying to perform a clean install of Windows 10. My PC originally came with Windows 8 and was upgraded when Windows 10 was offered for free. My device is linked with my Microsoft account so my product key is secure. I have read tutorials that I should delete...
  9. Clean install on a pre-installed windows 10 laptop (partitions)

Clean install on a pre-installed windows 10 laptop (partitions): Hi everybody, The reason I am seeking your help today is that I'm trying to do an clean install on my freshly bough Asus Zenbook UX330UAK which came with a pre-installed windows 10 loaded with bloatware. Now I know that it's touchy to mess with windows 10 pre-installed...
  10. Clean install windows 10 with 8 partitions

Clean install windows 10 with 8 partitions: Hi everyone, i've upgraded from windows 8.1 with uefi bios, so basically now i can do clean install 10 without product key? But the real question is: My pc have 8 partitions, the primary one, 5 of recovery, 1 oem and 1 efi. Can i delete all partitions and create only one?...