Windows 10: Help with Partitions on a new SSD

Discus and support Help with Partitions on a new SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys i have just upgraded my laptop HD to a 1g SSD Is it safe to partition this ssd without loosing the operating system that's already installed,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Blake0202, May 14, 2021.

1. Blake0202 Win User

Help with Partitions on a new SSD

Hi guys i have just upgraded my laptop HD to a 1g SSD Is it safe to partition this ssd without loosing the operating system that's already installed, and if so what program do you recommend Must be easy to use a hopefully free as i will only need it once I could use the disk management tool but i done understand the disk sizes i just need about 300 on the C drive and the rest for data Hope someone can advise me please

:)

Blake0202, May 14, 2021
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, May 14, 2021
  3. redeye Win User
    New SSD, is it performing properly?

i would suggest to secure erase it, and partition it so that the partition is 25% smaller than the SSD's size...
    i believe that will Significantly increase the random access rate so that you won't experience the "pauses" that make SSD's seem slow... anandtech's lastest review of SSD's seem to make this suggestion.

TL;DR... size your SSD 25% smaller than it's size. (windows partition...)

redeye, May 14, 2021
  4. topgundcp Win User

Help With Partition Management

If you really want your Windows to look like as if you do a fresh install and without losing what you currently have in C: Drive. Here's my suggestion:
    1. Make a complete backup image of your current HD including all partitions to an external HD using Macrium Reflect Free . Once done, disconnect all USB devices from the PC. Assuming now you only have one HD connected to the PC which you will be installing Windows.
      IMPORTANT: Also create a Macrium Rescue disk to boot from later on.
    2. Boot up your Windows installation USB/DVD. On the first screen, Hold SHIFT + F10 to open Command Windows then type:
      Diskpart
      select disk 0
      clean
      exit
    3. Click Next, Choose Custom, select the unallocated partition then click Next (Do not format), when asked for Product ID key, click on "Skip this step"/"Do it later". Continue the Installation.
    4. Once done. With the external HD connected, Reboot your PC with the Macrium Rescue disk, select the image that you created in step 1 as the Source.
    5. Select your current HD/SSD as Destination disk
    6. Restore only C: Drive to it. ie. overwrite the new C: Drive with your backup C: Drive.
      NOTE: See screen shot on how to perform this step
    7. Disconnect all the external devices. Reboot. Windows should perform a startup repair.

Once finish, you should end up with the partition scheme as follows:
    1. Recovery partition - 450MB
    2. EFI System partition - 100MB
    3. MSR Reserved partition - 16MB (Hidden from Disk Management but seen by Macrium or diskpart)
    4. Your old Windows C: Drive with all the installed software.

Screen shot: Click once on #1 (C: Drive), click "Delete Existing Partition" on #2, Click & Drag #3 and drop to #1. Click Next->Finish

Help with Partitions on a new SSD [​IMG]

topgundcp, May 14, 2021
Thema:

1. Help with Partitions on a new SSD - Similar Threads - Help Partitions SSD

2. Help with new ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help with new ssd: I got a new ssd for my hp omen laptop and I put the recovery USB drive in the computer, it gets to 6% with the recovery then blue screens and auto reboots saying the reason is ntfs.sys...
  3. partitioning new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    partitioning new SSD: When setting up my new SSD with a fresh install of Windows 10, should I place Windows 10 within its own partition and if so how many GB of drive space should I allocate to that partition....
  4. partitioning new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    partitioning new SSD: When setting up my new SSD with a fresh install of Windows 10, should I place Windows 10 within its own partition and if so how many GB of drive space should I allocate to that partition....
  5. partitioning new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Help with Partitions on a new SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help with Partitions on a new SSD: Hi guys i have just upgraded my laptop HD to a 1g SSD Is it safe to partition this ssd without loosing the operating system that's already installed, and if so what program do you recommend Must be easy to use a hopefully free as i will only need it once I could use the disk...
  7. SSD Partition Help

SSD Partition Help: Hi guys. Just wondering if I can have some advice please. I have a new Acer predator laptop and it comes with a 1TB SSD. I haven't really messed around with it too much yet other than installing Steam and a few games. I've been advised that it might be helpful to partition...
  8. New SSD install partition help.

New SSD install partition help.: Hello. I am installing a new ssd and I need help with the partitions. I purchased a WD Black SN750 1tb. I installed it in my laptop (Alienware M15). I downloaded the windows 10 disc image iso file on a USB. I am in windows setup and I selected custom install and I'm on the...
  9. Need help regarding cloning/partition/transfer to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help regarding cloning/partition/transfer to a new SSD: Hello guys. tomorrow, I'll be adding a new SSD to my laptop (SSD to the main disk drive and the old HDD to the optical(CD) drive, comment if anything is wrong over here) anyways, I am wondering about whether or not to make partition beforehand with only and only windows OS...
  10. New laptop with SSD, partitioning?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New laptop with SSD, partitioning?: I have bought a a new laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed on a 256GB SSD drive. I wanted to partition it so that C:\ would contain the OS, not sure how much to allow though, and then another partition for my own programs, purchased or free. And possibly another partition...